• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gastric Bypass

K. Leavy

I have a question, I had my bypass surgery on April 12th, so I'm just now 4 weeks out. The day of surgery my weight was 227 and I've only lost about 14 lbs. I don't understand how I'm not losing more weight than this when I can barely eat 1/2 cup of food. If anyone has any advice please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks, Kim

I have a question, I had my bypass surgery on April 12th, so I'm just now 4 weeks out. The day of surgery my weight was 227 and I've only lost about 14 lbs. I don't understand how I'm not losing more weight than this when I can barely eat 1/2 cup of food. If anyone has any advice please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks, Kim
I think you're right on track! I read that for the first 3-6 months you lose 2-4 lbs per week!

Hi K. Congratulations on your successful surgery and your awesome weight loss so far! The best thing about this initial weight loss is you likely will not gain it back (and then some), unlike your previous dieting efforts.

Because you are starting at a lower initial weight, you probably will not lose the same amount as someone starting with a higher BMI. But you are losing a similar percentage of your excess weight.

Did you lose some weight prior to surgery? That definitely is a factor. Are you getting your 64-80ozs of water and 60+gs of protein daily? How are you incorporating movement in your daily routine?

Please try not to get discouraged. If you can, only weigh yourself once weekly so you won't experience the daily weight and water fluctuations that can mess with your mind. You are doing this for a lifetime, not for a quick weight loss. ❤❤❤❤

I had sleeve surgery on April 12th. My weight was 204 pounds that day. I have been losing about 2 pounds each week. I was very frustrated at first. Then I reminded myself that my starting weight is much lower than the average bariatric patient. You are also at a low starting weight. We are going to lose at a much slower rate than someone who started at 300 pounds. This is normal.

Maybe this chart will help explain things.

You are doing great! As mentioned above, your body has just been shocked and is readjusting. Not to mention that there have been fluids from surgery, and a lot of times our bodies hold on to additional fluid because it is hard to get enough hydration in those early weeks as well. You will have stalls (frustrating as heck) as your body adjusts along the way. Just keep the mantra going - hydrate, protein and move. Those habits will set you on the right trajectory.

I had sleeve surgery on April 12th. My weight was 204 pounds that day. I have been losing about 2 pounds each week. I was very frustrated at first. Then I reminded myself that my starting weight is much lower than the average bariatric patient. You are also at a low starting weight. We are going to lose at a much slower rate than someone who started at 300 pounds. This is normal.

Maybe this chart will help explain things.

View attachment 5241
Wow my weight will be similar starting to yours before the sleeve - I didn't realize we would lose about 2 lbs per week - in my head I'm like 5-10lbs a week hahaha

Thank you everyone for all of your encouraging words. I thought I wasn't doing something right. I got a book from the surgeon'soffice before surgery which outlines each phase etc but I really feel that surgeon's should offer classes afterwards for anyone who has questions, maybe to go over everything. For me the hardest part is trying to drink the 64oz but still stop 1/2 hour before eating and then 1 hour after eating, while trying to eat 5-6 small meals, plus the 4-4oz protein drink for snacks.

I was in a plateau, but going to the Y six days a week. Then i took that training and started hiking in the North Cascades and my weight melted off. Every body is unique. Don't compare and don't obsess. It will happen.

Back