• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Getting enough protein

BAB

I am having a great deal of trouble trying to getting enoughprotein in a day. I am supposed to have between 60-90 oz. per day and I am finding that most days it is between 45-55 per day. Can anyone give me any tips on getting the protein up. I had my surgery on June 17, 2020 and am now on the general diet phase so I am eating bigger variety of food but none seem to do the trick of upping the protein. I also drink the Protein2o water with 15 grams of protein (2 a day). Any help would be very much appreciated.

hi hi BAB, nice to see you. The premier protein shakes have 30g of protein in them so you can add that up with your protein water and there's 50 g. I was told I needed to get between 50 and 70 grams and that that was the standard for women. I am now Hearing in this group from you and others that SOME doctors are requiring much higher amounts of protein. This has been a real mystery to me and the little bit I've been able to find by going to universities and Medical Center's website is that sometimes the protein requirement is based on the BMI.

You need to find out what form of protein you like and will eat enough of and then use that as your springboard to your new life. I'm working on a resource right now and it's kind of a mess but it has a lot of information and a lot of numbers where you can find out how many grams of protein is in a certain food:

make your first meal of the day a high protein meal. Have two eggs and Magic milk and that will be 30 grams of protein. Eat some high protein yogurt and get 16 g of protein. I can't remember the amount of cottage cheese but that is an enormous amount of protein for one serving. Or if you are not opposed to eating meat for breakfast, have 5 oz of baked turkey breast and that's 35 to 36 grams of protein. A can of tuna high in protein. Here, I put a list below:
FoodServing sizeProtein grams
bacon1 ounce9
beef (ground, lean)3 ounces21
chicken breast (cooked)3 ounces26
cod (Atlantic)3 ounces19
haddock (smoked)3 ounces21
ham (meat only, roasted)3 ounces21
hot dog (beef)1 each7
pork (ground)3 ounces22
salmon (Atlantic)3 ounces22
sausage link (pork or beef)1 link9
shrimp (fresh)3 ounces12
tuna (canned, light)3 ounces17
turkey (light meat)3 ounces25
turkey (ground)3 ounces23

I'm having a computer moment probably cuz it's 1 in the morning but that is just an example using Meats. You can see that you can get a lot of protein in a small portion of meats that are high in protein, like turkey. Turkey was definitely my go-to.

Don't worry about calories. This is not about calories. This is about getting enough protein to improve your entire existence and the strength of your body to do more work and exercise and burn calories. Make sure you drink at least 64 oz of water a day. Other fluids are fine but get that water in because the water has a chemical purpose that causes weight loss that is far more rapid then if you just drinking protein shakes are protein drinks all the time.

but if you get that 64 oz of water but if you get that 64 oz of water in every day, you will still get plenty of fluid from the food you eat and you won't be dehydrated and you will really see a difference and what happens with your body. I also would not sweats not reaching your protein goal set by your nutritionist. We may have Howard he had this conversation. I believe if anybody tells you you need to get that much protein in a day and you can't oh, you need to tell them that. They need to offer you alternatives or allow you to take less protein in. Avoid fat, avoid carbohydrates like crazy, drink water and make protein the largest part of each of your meals. Try to get excited about going for a walk. Drink water while you're walking. The weight will come off and your muscles will not waste because you will not be drawing energy from your muscles but you will be taking that energy in the form of calories from the stores of fat in your body.

Sorry I can't deal with this computer anymore and I can't take the time to edit this post. I just wanted to make sure you knew someone was listening and I wanted to offer you some suggestions.

I'm going to second Diane here on drinking a higher protein shake to help. When you're only eating 1/2 cup at a time, it can feel very difficult to EAT 60-90 grams of protein. Having 1/2 of the day's protein in one shake makes it a lot easier for me to do the math and keep up. Particularly when I don't feel particularly hungry -- or I'm trying a new food and my sleeve says -- Nope! Fluids seems to agree with me more than solids, no matter how much I chew. My stomach prefers things as wet as possible. Take it easy on yourself. It's a totally new experience, and we're all a bit like fish out of water trying to breathe air and grow feet at the same time. :)

I will third what Diane wrote about getting a higher protein shake. Getting that 30g in from a relatively small drink really helps. After that, if you are a meat-eater, look to salmon, turkey, and chicken for the best protein bang for the buck.

Hang in there, it will all come around. As Sunny said, we are learning a new normal and it's going to take a while.

Generally, I will have one 30g protein drink early in the day and a serving of Okios Triple Zero Greek Yogurt as a snack, which has 15g of protein, so you get 45g with very little volume from essentially two snacks. You'll only have 15 more g to add to reach 60 and that can be done during a meal with a couple of oz of chicken or some other protein.

I am having a great deal of trouble trying to getting enoughprotein in a day. I am supposed to have between 60-90 oz. per day and I am finding that most days it is between 45-55 per day. Can anyone give me any tips on getting the protein up. I had my surgery on June 17, 2020 and am now on the general diet phase so I am eating bigger variety of food but none seem to do the trick of upping the protein. I also drink the Protein2o water with 15 grams of protein (2 a day). Any help would be very much appreciated.
Isopure has I believe 40 grams of protein, which helps boost your intake in the beginning stages of your journey. Many health food stores have this item in stock, and plenty of chicken and fish can help you as well, which is filling, and healthy on your road to success!

As everyone else has mentioned the protein shakes are a great way to help you get towards your protein goals. I use the Fairlife 30 grams of protein drinks and will have at least 2 per day and as Wazzu mentions getting more protein thru Yogurt. I have recently switched to Two Good yogurt which as 13 grams of protein and only 2 grams of sugar.

hi hi BAB, nice to see you. The premier protein shakes have 30g of protein in them so you can add that up with your protein water and there's 50 g. I was told I needed to get between 50 and 70 grams and that that was the standard for women. I am now Hearing in this group from you and others that SOME doctors are requiring much higher amounts of protein. This has been a real mystery to me and the little bit I've been able to find by going to universities and Medical Center's website is that sometimes the protein requirement is based on the BMI.

You need to find out what form of protein you like and will eat enough of and then use that as your springboard to your new life. I'm working on a resource right now and it's kind of a mess but it has a lot of information and a lot of numbers where you can find out how many grams of protein is in a certain food:

make your first meal of the day a high protein meal. Have two eggs and Magic milk and that will be 30 grams of protein. Eat some high protein yogurt and get 16 g of protein. I can't remember the amount of cottage cheese but that is an enormous amount of protein for one serving. Or if you are not opposed to eating meat for breakfast, have 5 oz of baked turkey breast and that's 35 to 36 grams of protein. A can of tuna high in protein. Here, I put a list below:
FoodServing sizeProtein grams
bacon1 ounce9
beef (ground, lean)3 ounces21
chicken breast (cooked)3 ounces26
cod (Atlantic)3 ounces19
haddock (smoked)3 ounces21
ham (meat only, roasted)3 ounces21
hot dog (beef)1 each7
pork (ground)3 ounces22
salmon (Atlantic)3 ounces22
sausage link (pork or beef)1 link9
shrimp (fresh)3 ounces12
tuna (canned, light)3 ounces17
turkey (light meat)3 ounces25
turkey (ground)3 ounces23

I'm having a computer moment probably cuz it's 1 in the morning but that is just an example using Meats. You can see that you can get a lot of protein in a small portion of meats that are high in protein, like turkey. Turkey was definitely my go-to.

Don't worry about calories. This is not about calories. This is about getting enough protein to improve your entire existence and the strength of your body to do more work and exercise and burn calories. Make sure you drink at least 64 oz of water a day. Other fluids are fine but get that water in because the water has a chemical purpose that causes weight loss that is far more rapid then if you just drinking protein shakes are protein drinks all the time.

but if you get that 64 oz of water but if you get that 64 oz of water in every day, you will still get plenty of fluid from the food you eat and you won't be dehydrated and you will really see a difference and what happens with your body. I also would not sweats not reaching your protein goal set by your nutritionist. We may have Howard he had this conversation. I believe if anybody tells you you need to get that much protein in a day and you can't oh, you need to tell them that. They need to offer you alternatives or allow you to take less protein in. Avoid fat, avoid carbohydrates like crazy, drink water and make protein the largest part of each of your meals. Try to get excited about going for a walk. Drink water while you're walking. The weight will come off and your muscles will not waste because you will not be drawing energy from your muscles but you will be taking that energy in the form of calories from the stores of fat in your body.

Sorry I can't deal with this computer anymore and I can't take the time to edit this post. I just wanted to make sure you knew someone was listening and I wanted to offer you some suggestions.
I was told I could not drink those protein drinks by the surgeon's office. I also am limited to 4 oz. of food at each meal with no snacking inbetween the 3 meals. I have been able to get some foods that have more protein and a protein water that I really like (protein2o). I was also told that I will be eating this way for 1 year. I am getting enough to eat and am not hungry in between. I am keeping up with my water intake as well. I have lost 68 pounds and feel good. I am averaging about 45-55 grams of protein per day and I did ask the dietician how to get more and she suggested a protein shake from powder to sip on during the day (can't drink a whole one at one sitting). I appreciate all the information you shared. I'm going to print it up so I can put it on my refrigerator. Thanks again.

Hi Bab, regarding not being able to eat the protein to get the increase I can relate. My nutritionist advised that I needed to increase my protein intake which is odd because similar to yourself I am not eating more than 4 ounces at any one meal and no snacking between. I have been drinking Fairlife 30 gram ready to serve shakes...thank goodness there is no prepping them. I have now started in on using the FairLife CorePower Elite High Protein chocolate shakes. It gives me 42 grams of protein per shake and drink two of them per day. Every nutritionist and doctor seems to have different points of view on how much protein is needed. My concern with this Corepower drink was the sugar grams but the nutritionist was not concerned with it. So with the 2 per day just from the shakes I am getting 84 grams of protein.

Hi Bab, regarding not being able to eat the protein to get the increase I can relate. My nutritionist advised that I needed to increase my protein intake which is odd because similar to yourself I am not eating more than 4 ounces at any one meal and no snacking between. I have been drinking Fairlife 30 gram ready to serve shakes...thank goodness there is no prepping them. I have now started in on using the FairLife CorePower Elite High Protein chocolate shakes. It gives me 42 grams of protein per shake and drink two of them per day. Every nutritionist and doctor seems to have different points of view on how much protein is needed. My concern with this Corepower drink was the sugar grams but the nutritionist was not concerned with it. So with the 2 per day just from the shakes I am getting 84 grams of protein.
Thanks for the reply. I talk to my dietician tomorrow and will ask if I can use as a meal replacement. That takes me 1/2 way to 60 so it would be perfect.

Thanks for the reply. I talk to my dietician tomorrow and will ask if I can use as a meal replacement. That takes me 1/2 way to 60 so it would be perfect.
Likewise, I can't drink them, I tried mixing the ready made ones and the powder with fruits in the blender and it goes straight through me. I mix a spoonful of fat free granola in activia yogurt as a probiotic and eat a protein bar for snack, but its hard, I am lactose and suffer from acid reflux since having the surgery two years ago.

It shouldn't be as a meal replacement. A protein shake should be drank in between meals in addition to what you are eating. Protein recommendations are 60-89.

It shouldn't be as a meal replacement. A protein shake should be drank in between meals in addition to what you are eating. Protein recommendations are 60-89.
My doctor told me to replace a protein shake with breakfast or lunch. But I can’t drink them but I do try to eat peanut butter or a protein bar as a snack. I am always hungry though!

My doctor told me to replace a protein shake with breakfast or lunch. But I can’t drink them but I do try to eat peanut butter or a protein bar as a snack. I am always hungry though!

That might work early in but when were back at normal eating its almost impossible to hit nutrition needs using it as a replacement. Powders can also me mixed with foods.

That might work early in but when were back at normal eating its almost impossible to hit nutrition needs using it as a replacement. Powders can also me mixed with foods.
Thanks sometime it’s as if they don’t know! Which is the reason for so much confusion. I will definitely re-evaluate. I get so weak sometime just out if no where and I feel like it’s because I am lacking protein. I am going to put eggs back in my diet minus the yoke!

I'm one of the "odd" ones - my protein intake is supposed to be between 70-90 grams daily. I'm also allowed to eat 6 small meals a days. I know that others aren't allowed to "snack".

I'm supposed to eat 6 small meals a day. Most days I hit my protein requirements. Some days I cant eat anywhere near 6 small meals - others I eat them and have all

Each persons surgical team seems to be differing in a lot of areas. My breakfast is a tweaked protein shake - premier shake - 30g + 8g from milk to dilute the flavor - + 8-16 grams from Carnation Instant breakfast pouch - +/- 8g for more milk - add a scoop of protein powder and that would increase it by another 20-24g - the possibilities are endless. Some aren't allowed to drink the shakes in place of meals.

I can drink 3 premier protein shakes a day and have 90 grams of protein and be full ALL DAY and my nutritionist is OK with that. It is truly different for everyone.

I believe individuals should follow whatever food plan their surgical team has laid out for them - most are different in some way or another. If anyone has specific concerns about what they are or should or shouldn't be eating/drinking please reach out to your surgical team or nutritionist. They know your issues and can direct you accordingly.

I'm one of the "odd" ones - my protein intake is supposed to be between 70-90 grams daily. I'm also allowed to eat 6 small meals a days. I know that others aren't allowed to "snack".

I'm supposed to eat 6 small meals a day. Most days I hit my protein requirements. Some days I cant eat anywhere near 6 small meals - others I eat them and have all

Each persons surgical team seems to be differing in a lot of areas. My breakfast is a tweaked protein shake - premier shake - 30g + 8g from milk to dilute the flavor - + 8-16 grams from Carnation Instant breakfast pouch - +/- 8g for more milk - add a scoop of protein powder and that would increase it by another 20-24g - the possibilities are endless. Some aren't allowed to drink the shakes in place of meals.

I can drink 3 premier protein shakes a day and have 90 grams of protein and be full ALL DAY and my nutritionist is OK with that. It is truly different for everyone.

I believe individuals should follow whatever food plan their surgical team has laid out for them - most are different in some way or another. If anyone has specific concerns about what they are or should or shouldn't be eating/drinking please reach out to your surgical team or nutritionist. They know your issues and can direct you accordingly.

Holy cow how do you do 6 small meals? I would like to ideally have 3 meals and a snack but I'm supposed to avoid snacks. Each of my meals are no more than 200 cats which then leaves me another room for one protein shake or smoothie.

Holy cow how do you do 6 small meals? I would like to ideally have 3 meals and a snack but I'm supposed to avoid snacks. Each of my meals are no more than 200 cats which then leaves me another room for one protein shake or smoothie.

There are days I struggle to eat everything. The struggle is worse on some days than others - it's life. I snacked more in the beginning than I do now. I'm also a lot more active now than I was almost a year ago when I first had surgery.

My daily food log - from last week:

BreakfastCalories
kcal
Carbs
g
Protein
g
Fiber
g
Sodium
mg
Sugar
g
Premier Protein - Shake (Chocolate ), 1 shake16053032101
GV 1% milk - 1% milk, 1 cup100128012512
Carnation - Instant Breakfast Chocolate, 1 packet13027519019
Generic - Crushed Ice, 2 Scoop000000
Add Food
Quick Tools
Snack (1)
Add Food
Quick Tools
Lunch
Friggo Cheese Heads String Cheese - String Cheese, 1 stick (28g)801602000
egg salad, 1 serving(s)1711601120
Add Food
Quick Tools
Snack (2)
Add Food
Quick Tools
Dinner
Boneless Skinless Chicken - skinless chicken tenders , 3 oz830200300
Crustless Apple Pie10221331712
Add Food
Quick Tools
Snack (3)
Add Food
Quick Tools
Totals8266778778444
Your Daily Goal1,20015060212,30045
Remaining37483-18141,5161
Calories
kcal
Carbs
g
Protein
g
Fiber
g
Sodium
mg
Sugar
g

I too have to have 5 or 6 mini meals. I might have fruit as one of them or a salad or a protein soup. Or maybe eat some lean ham or chicken in between regular meals. I just can't keep it to 3 meals a day because I do get hungry but also I don't want to eat too much at one sitting.

I too have to have 5 or 6 mini meals. I might have fruit as one of them or a salad or a protein soup. Or maybe eat some lean ham or chicken in between regular meals. I just can't keep it to 3 meals a day because I do get hungry but also I don't want to eat too much at one sitting.

Pretty much the same for me too Judy. I drink a tweaked shake for breakfast EVERY DAY, depending on how tweaked it is (how much protein I end up with in it) dictates how any meals/snacks I eat.

Back