• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Greetings

hhryvr

Hi,
Hello my name is h h ryvr (pronounced River). I am 39 years old and am from Idaho. I have not had my surgery yet I am still in the planning phase. I am planning to have the gastric sleeve if everything goes correctly with my tests. I had to have an endoscopy to test for acid reflux disease which I do suffer from GERD to assess the damage if the damage is too severe, and I do not have a hiatal hernia; I won't be able to have a gastric sleeve and I'll have to do a gastric bypass instead.
My current weight is 291. My highest weight was 321. Before I started my weight-loss journey I had dropped 78 lb bringing me down to 241 however I gained most of it back recently due to inactivity. I am working hard at learning how to eat smaller portions and exercising on a regular basis. My exercise includes walking using the Wii. My Wii exercise includes bowling, using the Wii fit, and Poke Park. In the late spring, summer and early fall I walked to a local park that has a circuit that we can walk around that allows me to get outdoor exercise, however oh, I have to be careful about sun exposure due to a sun allergy I have.
I'm not sure what else I should put here I don't have pictures of myself. But this is my introduction and I'll try to post as often as I can.

H H Ryvr

Wow, Ryver, you're going to have to find a lot of recipes that feature healthy ways to use potatoes! ;) I'm just joshing ya. I live next door in Seattle. You sound a little lost and very challenged, having lost so much weight and then gaining it back. That describes all of us at some point. Are you a boy or a girl? It does help us to know that so we don't say the wrong thing!

If it turns out you end up with RYGB instead of VSG, rejoice. It might seem more complicated, but most people who have it wouldn't have it any other way. People who have the sleeve feel the same way. And the DS is coming on strong, with good reports. No matter how you go, it's going to be okay.

But it sounds to me like you need hands-on support. Do you have a surgical team that includes a dietitian and maybe a physical support group? Is there access to group exercise functions, or can you afford a good gym membership with classes and equipment available all day long? Do you have a support system, like a family or 12-step group or church? The more support you get, the better you'll feel.

How about your readings on the subject of health, food, surgery, self-esteem and affirmations? There's a lot out there and it's tailored to you.;

And not to be immodest, but there's like 10 years'-worth of brilliant posts here from all kinds of people, just waiting for your review. This is a great place for you to be.

You're also going to hear a lot of negative stuff from all kinds of places, as well as glowing exaggerations about successes. You're dealing with human beings. But your health problems have to be your biggest concerns, so don't focus on role models or celebrities or stories in books. Your doctor is there to serve YOU and to get you back into a place where you can live a happy, healthy, longer life. Don't be afraid to keep a list of questions and ask them all. And make sure you're covered on all bases.

Welcome to your group. We're here for you. We can't answer medical questions, but a lot of us have had the same experiences & feelings you've had, so ask away! And if possible, find others you can be active with, people from your hospital's support group. Empower, don't enable, and help each other be accountable.

Oh, I'm 12 years out from RYGB, lost 115 in 14 months, gained 15 pounds back early on purpose and had no complications from the surgery. It changed my life. You know we have pics here. See my before & afters. Dunno what part of Idaho you're in but you probably have a view of the Rockies, wherever you are. My thing is hiking and canoeing in the North Cascades, but lately I've been thinking of trekking in Tibet, at lower altitudes but with a view of Everest. I'm no Jim Whitaker, but I'll go as high as I can go on a forested peak with a view of a lake below and mountains beyond.

Hi,
Hello my name is h h ryvr (pronounced River). I am 39 years old and am from Idaho. I have not had my surgery yet I am still in the planning phase. I am planning to have the gastric sleeve if everything goes correctly with my tests. I had to have an endoscopy to test for acid reflux disease which I do suffer from GERD to assess the damage if the damage is too severe, and I do not have a hiatal hernia; I won't be able to have a gastric sleeve and I'll have to do a gastric bypass instead.
My current weight is 291. My highest weight was 321. Before I started my weight-loss journey I had dropped 78 lb bringing me down to 241 however I gained most of it back recently due to inactivity. I am working hard at learning how to eat smaller portions and exercising on a regular basis. My exercise includes walking using the Wii. My Wii exercise includes bowling, using the Wii fit, and Poke Park. In the late spring, summer and early fall I walked to a local park that has a circuit that we can walk around that allows me to get outdoor exercise, however oh, I have to be careful about sun exposure due to a sun allergy I have.
I'm not sure what else I should put here I don't have pictures of myself. But this is my introduction and I'll try to post as often as I can.

H H Ryvr
Hey Ryvr. Welcome to the group! I just had the sleeve done two weeks ago. I’m new here myself. Let me know if you have any questions or just need someone to talk to! Keep up the great work.

Welcome to the group H H Ryvr. My Roux en Y surgery is scheduled for 2/14/20.
Using you wii for exercise made me smile. We bought a virtual reality headset for our family at
Christmas and I’ve been using that to become more active. It’s a lot of fun.

Looking forward to seeing you in the forums.

Back