• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair Loss after Weight Loss Surgery

Pat99

Has anyone experienced hair loss or thinning after WLS? I have heard this happens but no one in this forum had mentioned it yet. Being a woman I am very concerned and just want to know if anyone is going through this. I'm still going to have the surgery, hair or no hair, but it will help prepare me better if I have feedback from "real people".

I JUST WANT TO MENTION TO EVERYONE THAT KEVIN HAS MADE US A NICE CHAT ROOM. PLEASE STOP IN THE CHAT ROOM WHEN YOU VISIT THE FORUMS SO WE CAN ALL GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER BETTER.

Last edited:
Thinning hair is common, I noticed it about 3 weeks after surgery and my doctor said after the first three months that was it would subside and it did, but I have also talked with folks in the support group I attend who experienced hair loss months or tears after surgery and our facilitator said that not enough protein and or stress will also trigger hair loss.

Patti and Tom,

Thank you so much for your responses. When I had my first consult with the surgeon he said I would "probably" experience some hair loss. My hair has a baby fine texture that most natural blondes have so even a slight loss of hair will be very noticable. If I were younger it would probably bother me more but I still have concerns. If worse comes to worse I can always start to wear head coverings of some sort or perhaps a wig or hair piece if things get really bad. I have a second consult scheduled with my surgeon in early January and will be sure to have him be more specific regarding the hair loss issue. You can bet my effort on trying to get enough protein in my diet will be a priority. Thank you again and please come back to visit this forum as much as possible.

hair loss is easily resolved. Zinc and increased protein like carnation instant breakfast and milk. provides 30 gm of protein.good luck

Welcome Greeneyes1963. I am Tom. I notices my hair thinning around my second week after surgery, My doctor said it would subside at one of my visits but I cant remember what month post op I was when it stopped. I use a quality hair thickening shampoo and conditioner and it looks the same as before, except I seem to get grayer every year, but I don't think that is related to my surgery, LOL:). There are some good tips posted below, wish I had found this site before surgery. I think the main thing is to get enough protien. Keep us posted on your progress. :cool: Tom

Greeneyes-I haven't had my surgery yet but Tom's answer sounds about right. I had a consult with my surgeon about 3 weeks ago and I remember him saying the hair loss should stop within 6-9 months post surgery. He also said most or all of my hair will return. I have also heard that some people don't experience hair loss so I guess it varies from person to person. Patti (feastorfamine) said to take a zinc supplement and make sure to meet your protein requirements.

thanks for all of your replies prior to my surgery i started all of the vitimans and drank one protien shake a day 3mths prior to surgery because i was approved in Sept and didnt have surgery until Dec 15th so far I havent noticed hair loss i have alot of hair. My girlfriend went on the HGC diet and lost alot of hair because that diet they ate 500 cal a day and not alot of protien.

I weighed 265 on the 15th of Dec and today I weigh 228 i see my doctor next week hope i am on track.

that is wonderful.es,adhere to your regimemand you will continue to do well. I got off track after an injury and gained bak 50 lbs and have struggledd with it a couple of years. tomorrow I a going to be like anewbie and go on the 5 day pouch test. 2days of liquids and 3 days of fraduated protein form soft to small bite as tolerated. Maybe we can sort f give each other support. this is a great site with alot of wonderful people.write me....patti

I haven't had any hair loss with this surgery but I did have problems with after taking a medication. My Dr. said zinc,protein, and selenium. Selenium and zinc are in muti vit. as well as some dandruff shampoos. (Selsum Blue)

Mine hit almost at six months on the nose. My surgeon told me to add Zinc supplements and it was clearing up in a month. I have very thick hair but it was noticeable on my pillow in the am. No actual bald spots occured, but everyone is going to be different.

Hello !!! I am new here. Had RNY 12/6/11 and have had some slight hair loss. Doc says keep up the protein and vitamins but also told me to take Biotin 5000mcg.

Hello !!! I am new here. Had RNY 12/6/11 and have had some slight hair loss. Doc says keep up the protein and vitamins but also told me to take Biotin 5000mcg.

I had some thinning also, but it subsided after 3 or 4 months, I use a top quality shampoo and conditioner (my daughter recomended it) and that keeps my hair thick. Everyone here has recommended zinc and lots of protien. I don't know much about biotin but if the Doc recommends it I would go for it, let us know how it works. Glad to have you here, this is a great online support group, especially when I can only make it one support group a month. :cool: Tom

The vitamin Biotin is a great way to keep your hair from thinning so much..I use it, I take 5000 units a day and so far minimal hair loss

My hair has thinned a bit, and I am almost one month out from a sleeve gastrectomy. My hairdresser advised me that this is typical with all weight loss, adn assured me my hair will be restored within a few months, as long as I am eating (or drinking) enough protein on a daily basis.

there is an excellent protein shake at walmarts.....it is calledEASadvantage carb control. 11 oz...17 gm protrein,3 carbs ..0 sugar. also add some zinc to you regularvitamins. the best overall vitamin out there is prenatal vitamin.they will strengthen your nails a bring the gloss back to your hair patti

Pat my surgeon talked to us about hair loss at our support meeting. She said hair loss usually starts 3-4 months after your surgery. She says it comes from not getting enough protein around the time of your surgery. It takes that long to show up. She said to make sure we get at least 64 gms of protein a day and our hair will grow back!

Sweetmama-Thanks for the information. I am loading up on the protein in my pre-surgical diet and plan on using protein drinks as my "go to" food immediately after surgery. The protein drinks are a bit tough on me because I am sensitive to lactose and soy is also hard for me to tolerate but not quite as much. A small price to pay if it minimizes hair loss. The Premier shakes from Costco have 30 grams of protein per 11 ounces. I should be able to drink 2 per day for the first week or 2 if I sip them slowly. I can only find chocolate and vanilla but heard they also come in strawberry. I'm going to send my niece's on a mission to find strawberry for me *LOL*. EAS makes a great tasting strawberry shake but it only has 17 grams of protein per 11 ounces so I need to stick with Premier for now.

Back