• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi

Talia121

I'm Tasha I'm new here and I'm really looking for support because I'm kinda nervous about egregious.. I'm about a month into the process and I will be having surgery in January. I have lots of questions and am viewing lots of info on here..it's really eye opening

I'm Tasha I'm new here and I'm really looking for support because I'm kinda nervous about egregious.. I'm about a month into the process and I will be having surgery in January. I have lots of questions and am viewing lots of info on here..it's really eye opening

Hi & welcome Tasha! As sunshine mentioned, we have a really supportive, knowledgeable group here. :) Where are you on this path, researching? Have you already been scheduled for surgery?

I have researched off and on for about two years.. I am currently in the first month of about a six month pre op process and I will have surgery in January. There's alot I still don't know and a lot I'm still finding out.. I'm really glad I found this site as I am finding valuable info.

Yes the supplements are generally enough for every person. You always need to see your surgeon once a year for a follow-up and you need to have your blood taken and have the aforementioned metabolic panels which will reveal your vitamin levels. But we do have a few people here who have suffered from a very severe form of anemia and they need to take iron infusions and apparently they aren't even getting enough iron via the infusions. That may or may not be related to bariatric surgery.

The tricky thing is that sometimes we have concurrent symptoms. Something may be going wrong in your body that is completely unrelated to bariatric surgery. But because you had the surgery you may assume that it is a side effect of that. So always see a doctor. We have a lot of practical experience here but the doctors still know way more than we do.

I was about a hundred pounds overweight with high blood pressure and prediabetes. I had severe sleep apnea and my cholesterol count was in the high 300s. I had a number of other obesity-related problems before I had surgery. But from what I have read my problems were not as severe as most people in this group. I followed the diet and the nutritional supplements to the letter. And I was in a University study for 7 years after surgery. They poked and prodded and tested me once a year and my tests all came out to be at exceptional levels.

I had significant pain for the first two weeks after surgery. But I went to a dinner party 5 days after surgery where I couldn't eat anything but I didn't want them to know I had had surgery so I just showed up and kind of pretended to eat. They were none the wiser. I had other problems too but when I read the stories here I feel like my recuperation was much easier than most people's. And yet I had RYGB surgery and a gallbladder removal and my doctor used an open procedure. I lost 35 lbs the first month and 25 lb the second. After that it was about 15 pounds a month for the next six months until I plateaued.

After the plateau I wasn't really counting how many pounds I was losing in a month. I was just shopping for new clothes all the time and hiking in the wilderness and going to the YMCA and living the best life I had lived in a long time. And in 14 months I lost 115 lb. I really think exercise was key to bringing that weight loss about and it allowed me to be more active, doing things like hiking which I had wanted to do for a long time.

Supplements are essential. But you also really need to find the protein sources you can use in order to meet your daily goal of 50 to 70 g of protein and you need to cut down on carbohydrates. I think of supplements as a substitute for food. I try to eat real food like lean meat, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt and eggs. I avoid protein shakes because I really don't like them and I feel they are kind of a trigger. Plus I don't have cravings for a peanut butter malt so I don't really wish to create a low cal, high protein substitute that tastes like one.

That may be the biggest change of all the changes I went through. In the surgery a part of your stomach is removed that generally secretes the hunger signal. Because it barely exist anymore, the foods that used to be obsessions do not appeal to me anymore.

Be prepared to change your life and to know that it will not resemble your life that you had before. It won't be a lot of church potlucks and birthday dinners at expensive restaurants where are you all share equally. Your social life will change to adapt to your eating schedule. But it will be okay. I feel like making that change is a more profound effect than the surgery itself

By the way, what is your position on sharing information with people about having the surgery? Are you going to tell everyone? Or do you want to keep it to yourself? It's a question we always discuss here because some family Dynamics just really encourage you to keep it to yourself so you won't be sabotaged or mocked.

Interestingly enough I chose to tell everyone, some have mocked me and many have assured me I will die of not from the surgery then from the complications that can arise. I have some support and it's appreciated, but the others words really scared me alot. Many people do not believe that I can keep up with the protocol for life and fear I'll fail because I have failed so many times dieting and exercising.
I'm here because I need to know more info than just the medical side of things. Like I like to read about people's own personal journey and how everything is turning out for them. I try to keep a positive outlook but it's hard because I'm prone to depression and extreme anxiety. So sometimes research can be my best friend or a great anxiety trigger, but I soldier on. I know why I'm doing this and I'm not going to give up out of fear..
Thanks for the info.any more comments or info is greatly appreciated.

I like to read about people's own personal journey and how everything is turning out for them.

I can say that this is hands-down the best decision I've ever made. Just 9 short months ago I was 290 pounds with type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. Hip and ankle pain all the time. Out of breath just by climbing the stairs to my 2nd floor condo everyday. Today, I'm 185 lbs (with a weigh-in tomorrow so likely even less), have been off my diabetes meds since February, normal blood pressure and no aches and pains. I've been swimming all summer with my very fit 13 year old niece and keeping up! :) I probably haven't felt this good in 20 years. I've mentioned in another post that at my last checkup, I was actually told that I "exude health". Who me??? Can it be true? ;)

As for happiness, where to start? I've also always struggled with anxiety and depression. But with so many positive changes, I find myself smiling all the time. When your body feels good, it translates to your emotions for sure. I'm doing so much work on myself to stay this way. Meditating every day, reading books about mental health and spirituality. I've never had more determination to stay in positivity.

The compliments are very encouraging. Almost daily, someone from work will stop me to tell me how great I'm looking. Receiving congrats and compliments has gotten me through some of the challenges that Diane describes about the total lifestyle change we need to make with surgery. Wearing smaller, cute clothes helps too. :) Totally 100% worth it!

I had a very easy recovery compared to a lot of people on this site. Chronic diarrhea the first week so it didn't matter that I was drinking enough water, I was loosing it just as fast. I felt ill and fainted a few times due to dehydration. Had to go the hospital for IV fluids. After that, it's been smooth sailing. Fingers crossed, I'll be one of the lucky ones without complications.

Join me and live your best life girlie!!!

Back