• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How Happy Are You With Your Decision To Have Weight Loss Surgery?

How Happy Are You With Your Decision To Have Weight Loss Surgery?

• Very, Very Happy!

Votes: 85 61.6%
  • Happy

Votes: 31 22.5%
  • Indifferent/Not Sure Yet

Votes: 17 12.3%
  • Not Happy

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Very, Very Unhappy!

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
So far not so happy. I am trying though. Eating has just become an ordeal now. It was so much a part of me before. I loved to cook even healthy meals. Now everything is just so blah to me or gives me heartburn. Yes I miss some things like pizza or chips but it really is more than that. I can't even have a salad if I want now. It's hard to put in words. Also, my weight is coming off so slowly and I really can't understand why. I follow the rules but it just is not moving. At the rate I am losing I just wish I would have stuck with a healthy eating plan and not taken this step. Now I have no choice so I guess I better learn to live with it.

hang in there and you can have pizza i order all meat extra cheese and i only get the toppings and not the bread all protien! and i still cook I love to cook and i freeze potions for me.

I LOVE MY DECISION! THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS CONSTAPATION! IT IS KILLING ME! so does anyone know if the fiber one bars help? i just started on them i need to do something!

So far not so happy. I am trying though. Eating has just become an ordeal now. It was so much a part of me before. I loved to cook even healthy meals. Now everything is just so blah to me or gives me heartburn. Yes I miss some things like pizza or chips but it really is more than that. I can't even have a salad if I want now. It's hard to put in words. Also, my weight is coming off so slowly and I really can't understand why. I follow the rules but it just is not moving. At the rate I am losing I just wish I would have stuck with a healthy eating plan and not taken this step. Now I have no choice so I guess I better learn to live with it.
to scapper
please don't feel so bad I am also going through the same thing but the good thing is that at least my diabetes is gone that was my worst problem it was ruining my kidneys already and I had also lost part of my vision.

It's not easy in the beginning stages of the journey, but in time and only in time will you be able to SLOWLY introduce food items you once enjoyed. Honestly if you abstain from eating the foods that packed on the pounds to begin with I personally found that when I began to eat them, that they never tasted the same and I don't know if it's because I didn't remember what they tasted like, or my taste for high-carb foods were no longer appealing to me anymore. Don't feel you've made the mistake by choosing to have surgery. It is a tool and if utilized to its fullest potential, the long-term results will be wonderful and as you mentioned that your diabetes is no longer an issue and that could have been quite dangerous with kidney failure, or losing limbs, and eyesight as well. Think long term on this journey and continue to receive motivation and support from people who have succeeded and remain faithful and dedicated to the new lifestyle. It takes time, but once you reach your desired goal, you'll look, feel, and have the life you so truly deserve. Health is our wealth, remember that!

Be well my friends...xxoo Linney

I had the sleeve on May 23,2016. I have been sick ever since. I can barely get water down. I have constant heartburn and IBS (which I never had before). The Dr gave me the purple pill for the heartburn and told me a few tums a day is ok. It doesn't help. I am dehidrated and am very weak. I get winded walking 10 feet. I can barely get 4 oz of protein shake down a day, which isn't my 60 grams in so I am looking forward to my hair falling out soon. I have lost over 40lbs and I know about 20 of that was fluids. As of today if someone asked me if they should get the surgery, I would tell them This was the biggest mistake I have ever done in my life. My boyfriend gets frustrated with me but from not feeling sick ever to being sick to the stomach and having heart burn 24 hours a day makes me very unhappy. I guess I am impatient like he says but come on..being sick constantly ...who wants to feel worst than you have in your life.

I LOVE MY DECISION! THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS CONSTAPATION! IT IS KILLING ME! so does anyone know if the fiber one bars help? i just started on them i need to do something!
Yes constipation can be a challenge in the beginning. Try to eat foods that contain fiber such as chic peas, mangos can help a lot as well. Drinking a lot of water too and moving a lot. Olive oil can get things going too. Give it a try.

I had the sleeve on May 23,2016. I have been sick ever since. I can barely get water down. I have constant heartburn and IBS (which I never had before). The Dr gave me the purple pill for the heartburn and told me a few tums a day is ok. It doesn't help. I am dehidrated and am very weak. I get winded walking 10 feet. I can barely get 4 oz of protein shake down a day, which isn't my 60 grams in so I am looking forward to my hair falling out soon. I have lost over 40lbs and I know about 20 of that was fluids. As of today if someone asked me if they should get the surgery, I would tell them This was the biggest mistake I have ever done in my life. My boyfriend gets frustrated with me but from not feeling sick ever to being sick to the stomach and having heart burn 24 hours a day makes me very unhappy. I guess I am impatient like he says but come on..being sick constantly ...who wants to feel worst than you have in your life.
Seek advice from your doctor about what's going on with you not being able to get water down. Also the issue with heartburn as well. Stay in touch with your doctor who knows best and make sure they assist you through this time that you are encountering difficulties. It takes time, don't give up, I promise it gets better. We all have our moments. In the beginning, we learn, we grow, we adjust, we see the results, have faith, keep moving forward, move in the direction of your goal, don't look back...look ahead. Buy a new outfit that's at least four sizes too small, and make it your goal to fit in that outfit. Plan a trip to look forward to when you're at goal that you've always wanted to do but you couldn't do since you're weight restricted you. It gets better I promise you. Stay with the program, but as I mentioned...if you're having issues seek advice from your Dr. and their medical team. They should be there for you to help and assist you. You shouldn't be having all of these problems so early on. These are minor problems that can be adjusted to make this a better and more comfortable journey to take.

I'm really happy with my surgery. I do have a few little issues that I will always have to deal with though. I can eat a lot of different foods. However, I am still unable to drink milk, or eat yogurt or things like that. I also can eat wheat bread, white bread is a no no, but sometimes I eat a slice if I toast it first.
SORRY TO VEGAN OUT ON YOU BUT YOUR HAVING TROUBLE DRINKING MILK BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT A BABY COW, PLEASE TRY ALMOND OR SOY MILK :)

I'm extremely happy with my decision to have gastric sleeve surgery. I would do it again in a heart beat. Having the surgery has probably saved me from getting late onset diabetes.

Trust me it works. I do my protein everyday and exercise everyday. I have lost from 254 down to 161 in 3months. Its not from sitting. Drink your water and protein.
Congratulations! 93 lbs. in 3 months! I hope you feel VERY proud of yourself.
Because you have lost the weight so fast, please see your doctor to monitor your health and diet. I lost 170 lbs., but it took two years. I had to have 3 adjustments to my Rx as I kept losing.

4 years out and not sure anymore. It has made me more healthy, but I am disgusted looking in the mirror. Before I was very much invovled with BBW activities, and I think that was really part of my identity. The sagging skin, the looking gaunt, I would say I am 50/50 on it.
I know exactly what you mean! Afterwards I hated the way I looked - everytime I looked in the mirror it reminded me of how obese I used to be. But I would focus on what I had achieved and having all the extra skin was a testimate to my hard work and bravery. Be proud!

I was a food addict (thankfully not so much any more). I would not have been able to get to this point in the journey without this tool. It has also forced me to deal with some of the issues that caused me to use food in the first place. I don't think I would be the person I am now without every part of my past, but also without the non-scale side of the surgeries.

I’ve waited a very long time for this.... years n years of doctors pushing me aside, not wanting to help me at all. But lately I’ve been blessed by not just 1 Dr. but 2 that told me the thing I wanted to hear. Both listened, both understood and both said “I want to help you get ur life back, let’s get u fixed”!!!!
I’m super happy but still nervous. Anyone and everyone here can relate with that feeling, I’m sure. I’m very new to this all... so please any and all ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I’m going to be having the Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery hopefully by the end of this y

I’ve waited a very long time for this.... years n years of doctors pushing me aside, not wanting to help me at all. But lately I’ve been blessed by not just 1 Dr. but 2 that told me the thing I wanted to hear. Both listened, both understood and both said “I want to help you get ur life back, let’s get u fixed”!!!!
I’m super happy but still nervous. Anyone and everyone here can relate with that feeling, I’m sure. I’m very new to this all... so please any and all ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I’m going to be having the Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery hopefully by the end of this y
Welcome Brenda! Congrats on finding dr's that can help you along your path to getting your life back. That is great! This forum has some amazing posts that help out. Definitely read through all the posts you can as everyone's insight helps. You can even search for certain topics like vitamins, hair loss, nausea, and so on to get info about topics that most interest you. If you have any questions, let us know! and if you just want to rant or celebrate, we are here for that too!

I have my surgery on about a week. I'm excited. I hope I do as well as some of you have done. Has anyone had to be on a liquid diet before surgery. My doctor didn't say to me about having to be on one. Just wondering. Any information would gladly be appreciated.

I have my surgery on about a week. I'm excited. I hope I do as well as some of you have done. Has anyone had to be on a liquid diet before surgery. My doctor didn't say to me about having to be on one. Just wondering. Any information would gladly be appreciated.
Congratulations, you'll do great! :)

If your doc hasn't mentioned a liquid diet and surgery is only a week away, he/she probably doesn't require it. Mine didn't require it. Her requirement was that I loose 10% of my starting weight to be scheduled for surgery. Good luck and keep us posted!

Congratulations, you'll do great! :)

If your doc hasn't mentioned a liquid diet and surgery is only a week away, he/she probably doesn't require it. Mine didn't require it. Her requirement was that I loose 10% of my starting weight to be scheduled for surgery. Good luck and keep us posted!
Thank you so very much. I am truly grateful for all support this group has given me.

I was a food addict (thankfully not so much any more). I would not have been able to get to this point in the journey without this tool. It has also forced me to deal with some of the issues that caused me to use food in the first place. I don't think I would be the person I am now without every part of my past, but also without the non-scale side of the surgeries.
Your post is exactly what I would have written! I didn't realize how much my weight was a factor in every decision I made.

Thank you so very much. I am truly grateful for all support this group has given me.
Well tomorrow is the big day. I'm getting anxious to have the surgery done and over with so I can start the healing process.
Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts. They are greatly appreciated. I probably will not be on here for a few days but I will when I feel up to it. Thanks again

Back