• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I am starting the journey to bariatric surgery

akemper05

My dr. didn't bat an eye when I asked for a referral to a bariatric surgeon. That reinforced two things:

1. I am morbidly obese and have not been able to slim down with my efforts.
2. Bariatric surgery is a valid, safe option for me and I am a good candidate.

I live in a small town in NM and will have to travel to see a surgeon IF my Medicare supplemental plan will pay for transportation.
I will have to get approval from Medicare, I have looked up their criteria and I do meet them. I made the big decision that surgery is the right next
step for me, next is the approval, and many long road trips. I do not drive, hence the transport. I am 5'8'' tall and weigh 280. My BMI is > 40.

I am so ready.

I live in a small town in NM and will have to travel to see a surgeon IF my Medicare supplemental plan will pay for transportation.
I will have to get approval from Medicare, I have looked up their criteria and I do meet them. I made the big decision that surgery is the right next
step for me, next is the approval, and many long road trips. I do not drive, hence the transport. I am 5'8'' tall and weigh 280. My BMI is > 40.

You might want to check with the medical facility that's going to do your surgery. I couldn't afford to pay for mine, and I had Medicaid and Medicare. But the hospital had a scholarship program that would pay the balance, and offered other benefits. I was also recruited into a 7-year study at the university hospital where I had the surgery done. This was back in 2008, so things were pretty restrictive.

It never hurts to ask. And you are SO ready!

Back