• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm new too

pamk

Greetings, I have been reading through the threads and enjoying your thoughts and wisdom on weight-loss surgery. I appreciate your positive thoughts and support for each other. In December or January I will be having the sleeve surgery. I am hoping for December because I have a trip planned in mid-February. At this point I feel very confident in my decision. Some positive changes that I have made are much smaller portion sizes, zero fast food, and being more active around the house and regular walks. Two things I am struggling with is eating just three meals a day without any snacks (healthy or otherwise). The other is a self diagnosed sugar addiction. And advice on how to break the sugar cravings would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to going through this big process with all of you.

Welcome, Pamk. I too just joined this group. I enjoy reading everyone's insightful thoughts on this subject. I've gotten many answers to different questions on my mind. I am scheduled for gastric sleeve surgery in March 2020 (originally because of insurance requirements) I have a post under sooner or later, which explains a change of date, etc. A big pat on the back to you for making these positive changes already. I believe you are ready!! :) I'm sorry that I can't help you with the sugar cravings questions, but I am positive that the very knowledgeable folks on this forum will have answers and suggestions for you. Good luck.

Hi pamk! Welcome.
I had the sleeve surgery 8/28/19, so i am almost 4 weeks post op and feeling pretty darn great. The pre op diet was tough, but it is so crucial for 2 great reasons to keep in mind when you feel like you might falter.

1. It is designed to shrink the size of your liver so that the surgeon has more room to work and you have lass risk of complications. With a nice small lean liver, it lifts up and out of the way so the surgeon can release the stomach from the connecting blood vessels more easily and the resected part will come away cleanly. This is so much safer for you and your surgeon, most surgeons will close you right back up if the liver is too fatty and you will wake up in recovery thinking it is done until they tell you to reschedule. That thought alone terrified me into submission! lol

2. It can help reduce post op fatigue and the dreaded "brain fog" many suffer with. Everyone's experience is individual of course, but the high protein / low carb diet is essentially reprogramming your body to use fat as fuel instead of the simple sugars and carbs, which it prefers to use because it is easy. While your body is transitioning fuel sources, it may fight you a bit and try to shut you down with fatigue and fuzziness because it thinks it is being starved and just needs to get with the program. If you have already successfully started this reprogramming in the pre-op phase while you are still at full strength, the transition post-op is easier.

As for the sugar cravings: they are absolutely a real and ugly thing! but really just the first 4 days or so are bad, so i chose those to be days i would not be at home, sitting around with nothing to do but want to snack. It helps to keep busy, if you don't have a hobby i suggest you pick one up! It is more a mental game than anything else. You will have a lot more activity time since you will be spending less time on meals :) Also, speak with your nutritionist with your program if you have one, or your surgeon, and ask about snack alternatives just to get you through the worst of it. Many here have been able to have sugarfree jello, i was allowed cucumber or celery when i really needed a snack and it made all the difference in getting through the day with the stomach rumbling. BUT: try the diet first without all that! You may actually surprise yourself with your strength and resolve to do what is best for your body and mind. You will have to break up with your food relationship at some point anyway, because that unhealthy relationship is how most all of us got here, so kick that jerk to the curb and start up a romance with healthy eating! The bad boy on the motorcycle (carbs and sugar) seems fun and exciting but the dude in the sedan (grilled chicken and veggies) will help you raise your kids and not run off with the nanny! hahaha

I recommend stepping towards the pre-op diet in a small way every week, by the time it starts it will be no big deal. For instance, this week start by not eating anymore after dinner (if you already do). In two weeks, add on skipping snacks between breakfast and lunch. Your body will adjust slowly and the hunger won't be so severe. You can absolutely do this!

Greetings, I have been reading through the threads and enjoying your thoughts and wisdom on weight-loss surgery. I appreciate your positive thoughts and support for each other. In December or January I will be having the sleeve surgery. I am hoping for December because I have a trip planned in mid-February. At this point I feel very confident in my decision. Some positive changes that I have made are much smaller portion sizes, zero fast food, and being more active around the house and regular walks. Two things I am struggling with is eating just three meals a day without any snacks (healthy or otherwise). The other is a self diagnosed sugar addiction. And advice on how to break the sugar cravings would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to going through this big process with all of you.
Congrats on the good start. For me, also a fan of sugar, the sugar free options filled the craving a lot. I went from wanting sweet to wanting things ice cold! Tastes can change was what I noted.

Hi pamk! Welcome.
I had the sleeve surgery 8/28/19, so i am almost 4 weeks post op and feeling pretty darn great. The pre op diet was tough, but it is so crucial for 2 great reasons to keep in mind when you feel like you might falter.

1. It is designed to shrink the size of your liver so that the surgeon has more room to work and you have lass risk of complications. With a nice small lean liver, it lifts up and out of the way so the surgeon can release the stomach from the connecting blood vessels more easily and the resected part will come away cleanly. This is so much safer for you and your surgeon, most surgeons will close you right back up if the liver is too fatty and you will wake up in recovery thinking it is done until they tell you to reschedule. That thought alone terrified me into submission! lol

2. It can help reduce post op fatigue and the dreaded "brain fog" many suffer with. Everyone's experience is individual of course, but the high protein / low carb diet is essentially reprogramming your body to use fat as fuel instead of the simple sugars and carbs, which it prefers to use because it is easy. While your body is transitioning fuel sources, it may fight you a bit and try to shut you down with fatigue and fuzziness because it thinks it is being starved and just needs to get with the program. If you have already successfully started this reprogramming in the pre-op phase while you are still at full strength, the transition post-op is easier.

As for the sugar cravings: they are absolutely a real and ugly thing! but really just the first 4 days or so are bad, so i chose those to be days i would not be at home, sitting around with nothing to do but want to snack. It helps to keep busy, if you don't have a hobby i suggest you pick one up! It is more a mental game than anything else. You will have a lot more activity time since you will be spending less time on meals :) Also, speak with your nutritionist with your program if you have one, or your surgeon, and ask about snack alternatives just to get you through the worst of it. Many here have been able to have sugarfree jello, i was allowed cucumber or celery when i really needed a snack and it made all the difference in getting through the day with the stomach rumbling. BUT: try the diet first without all that! You may actually surprise yourself with your strength and resolve to do what is best for your body and mind. You will have to break up with your food relationship at some point anyway, because that unhealthy relationship is how most all of us got here, so kick that jerk to the curb and start up a romance with healthy eating! The bad boy on the motorcycle (carbs and sugar) seems fun and exciting but the dude in the sedan (grilled chicken and veggies) will help you raise your kids and not run off with the nanny! hahaha

I recommend stepping towards the pre-op diet in a small way every week, by the time it starts it will be no big deal. For instance, this week start by not eating anymore after dinner (if you already do). In two weeks, add on skipping snacks between breakfast and lunch. Your body will adjust slowly and the hunger won't be so severe. You can absolutely do this!
Hi pamk! Welcome.

So much great advice. Thank you. I'll stick with the dude in the sedan. And I am going to print this and add it to my journal to review often. I wish you the very best on your journey.

Back