• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Just thoughts

Let me be honest the process started in December that’s when I saw the bariatric surgeon and the bariatric surgeon staff told me I have to be at $300 out-of-pocket fee nonrefundable OK so I paid online and then I started the process. I went to everything that they told me to go to. I said the appointments I did almost everything in December when January hit I had to see the psychiatrist and do a EKG. So when I went to go get the packet and I looked inside the bag that had the instructions of stuff that I was supposed to do that already did it without having that instruction packet three different kinds of shakes protein shakes a few soup packets nothing I really made me go. Oh wow I can’t wait to try this & I’m thinking to myself what did I pay $300 for and then on top of that I talk to the nutritionist twice a few emails here & there then two zoom classes with the information that I already read off of Google so this is what the $300 was for…. So then I had my second meeting with the surgeon just to go over some other stuff that I thought that would’ve been covered by the $300 but I still have to come out of pocket. I still have to buy the stool softener, I have to buy the skin cleaner I have to buy the Flintstones multivitamins. I have to buy the Tylenol. I have to buy a laxative, so that’s the cost I think in my head since I’m always used to go into the doctors, then I after I go to the doctors, I go treat myself and go out to eat or I buy something This time now I have to think about it where OK you spent $300 on good health you’re buying these things that you need to have prior to your surgery that’s going into good health or better health so I’m thinking I’m gonna ask I could use that money for something else I don’t need these things but eventually everybody needs these things they are a necessary household item so in order to loosen the hold on my big girl drawls this is the sacrifice that I’m willing to make that’s not really a sacrifice since I’m all in just two more things to do the lab work and another EKG since they said that I did it in December in the hospital needs to be 90 days so I gotta do that, but altogether it is worth $$$$

It absolutely does get costly, especially early on. All the tests, all the supplies, protein shakes, protein water, vitamins etc. It does ease up once you're post-op and return to solid food. Ask around about protein products before you buy .. Or ask your nutritionist if they have samples.

My original fee covered the nutritionist visits only. Of course, I saw her as often as needed for the first 2 years. Which is a bargain when you consider the actual cost of a visit with a nutritionist. But when it all needs to be done at once, it feels expensive. And I had to buy the foods for my pre-op 2 week liquid diet from them. At a premium. But actually, the products were decent enough that I bought a few extra for my post on liquid diet.

So, yes it gets expensive. And sometimes during the process, money got very tight for me. But now, I no longer have to see my doctor every few months to get my A1C checked, because my diabetes is in remission. I no longer have to buy supplies or meds for that condition. Or for my no longer high blood pressure and cholesterol.

It 100% is worth the money. Also, how's your son doing?

It absolutely does get costly, especially early on. All the tests, all the supplies, protein shakes, protein water, vitamins etc. It does ease up once you're post-op and return to solid food. Ask around about protein products before you buy .. Or ask your nutritionist if they have samples.

My original fee covered the nutritionist visits only. Of course, I saw her as often as needed for the first 2 years. Which is a bargain when you consider the actual cost of a visit with a nutritionist. But when it all needs to be done at once, it feels expensive. And I had to buy the foods for my pre-op 2 week liquid diet from them. At a premium. But actually, the products were decent enough that I bought a few extra for my post on liquid diet.

So, yes it gets expensive. And sometimes during the process, money got very tight for me. But now, I no longer have to see my doctor every few months to get my A1C checked, because my diabetes is in remission. I no longer have to buy supplies or meds for that condition. Or for my no longer high blood pressure and cholesterol.

It 100% is worth the money. Also, how's your son doing?
$$$$ is getting a bit tight. I’ve been watching YouTube videos to see if I can make my own protein shakes because most of the protein shakes especially if buy a box of 12 it’s usually almost $25-$30 whether you go to Costco or even Target it’s a little it’s pricey but I started buying the powdered kind so I can just add water and maybe some cinnamon or something to it to give it that OK, chugged down and let’s go on with the rest of our day kind of thing, but my son is doing good. The temptation to eat solids is still within him it’s only been about, a week since his surgery so he’s gotta do I guess two more weeks of liquids. Here’s to good health we’re gonna make it work.

I used Aldi brand protein powder. Both the chocolate and the vanilla were decent. I always used the blender, so the consistency wasn't bad. And you're already on to ways to doctor them up. I was like you, in that I didn't care if they were great. I needed a protein shake. Plus, at least double the servings for the same price as pre made!! I do have a few suggestions tho.

Add milk instead of water. Its like hot cocoa. Adding milk really elevates the flavor.

Sugar free jello and puddings are a reasonably priced way to add a bit of extra flavor to powdered shakes. (Plus the pudding thickens for a more real shake feel, especially if you add ice!)

Water flavoring packets can also add mix it up. Orange with the vanilla?!? Dreamsicle! Yum! I think its family dollar that has the A&W Root beer flavored packets. Added to vanilla powder my husband loved them and said they tasted just like a rootbeer float. And at $1 for 10, it's a lot cheaper than all of the expensive extracts some recipes suggest.

We have shake recipes here and of course Pinterest has a million.

Glad to hear your son is doing so well. Tell him to chew ice. Sometimes it helps when you miss actually chewing food.

Let me be honest the process started in December that’s when I saw the bariatric surgeon and the bariatric surgeon staff told me I have to be at $300 out-of-pocket fee nonrefundable OK so I paid online and then I started the process. I went to everything that they told me to go to. I said the appointments I did almost everything in December when January hit I had to see the psychiatrist and do a EKG. So when I went to go get the packet and I looked inside the bag that had the instructions of stuff that I was supposed to do that already did it without having that instruction packet three different kinds of shakes protein shakes a few soup packets nothing I really made me go. Oh wow I can’t wait to try this & I’m thinking to myself what did I pay $300 for and then on top of that I talk to the nutritionist twice a few emails here & there then two zoom classes with the information that I already read off of Google so this is what the $300 was for…. So then I had my second meeting with the surgeon just to go over some other stuff that I thought that would’ve been covered by the $300 but I still have to come out of pocket. I still have to buy the stool softener, I have to buy the skin cleaner I have to buy the Flintstones multivitamins. I have to buy the Tylenol. I have to buy a laxative, so that’s the cost I think in my head since I’m always used to go into the doctors, then I after I go to the doctors, I go treat myself and go out to eat or I buy something This time now I have to think about it where OK you spent $300 on good health you’re buying these things that you need to have prior to your surgery that’s going into good health or better health so I’m thinking I’m gonna ask I could use that money for something else I don’t need these things but eventually everybody needs these things they are a necessary household item so in order to loosen the hold on my big girl drawls this is the sacrifice that I’m willing to make that’s not really a sacrifice since I’m all in just two more things to do the lab work and another EKG since they said that I did it in December in the hospital needs to be 90 days so I gotta do that, but altogether it is worth $$$$
My out of pocket with the med team was $350. For all of the other things like the wash, vitamins, etc. that was separate. I have no idea why they are having you get Flinstone vitamins but they must have their reasons. All I can say is I pecked away at the list up to the time of surgery so I was ready. I didn't buy it all at once but I had a long time to prepare. Now if they take you later than your tests and need to repeat them, that's on them and I would contest that.

I have no idea why they are having you get Flinstone vitamins but they must have their reasons.

I was told to use Flintstones chewables when I had my surgery in 2008. This was actually the beginning of my reading labels, which has turned into an important part of my life. Shockingly, I found the RDAs on the Flintstones label to be almost identical to Centrum and other adult vitamins that cost twice as much.

I know some people use liquid vitamins but those weren't available when I had my surgery. I was really grateful for the nutritionist who suggested alternatives to me back then. If you have doubts or questions, really, really, really, ask your medical team. If you don't have a team in place, make your own, including a nutritionist and an internist who knows about the effects of weight on the body and is supportive of bariatric surgery as a cure for obesity.

It's also a really good idea to sample foods and supplements prior to surgery and not to stock up a lot until you know if you're going to like them. My pet peeve is with labels that claim to be bariatric, like bariatric vitamins, etc. I really advise people to study FDA guidelines for nutrition. That's the only job of that federal entity, KNOWING what bodies need to be healthy. I rely on the FDA and have been in perfect health with a successful weight loss for many years now, from my mid-50s to my 70s.

Back