• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Loose skin

Marief

Hi,
I’m new here. I’m pre-surgery and have 100-150 pounds to lose. I’m 54 but look younger. I’ve heard that your face can look older after surgery due to developing loose skin under your chin and on your neck. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. Also wondering about the whole abdominal apron thing -how to manage it. I can tell I’m going to have one due to my current body shape. Is there special shape wear for that to keep it from flopping around?

And one last question, has anyone had excess skin removal surgery in Mexico and if so, where?
Thanks in advance for answers to any or all of these questions!

Roni, you're talking about a girdle-like objects made of some kind of fabric, right? I have an abdominal binder, which is what you seem to be describing. If anyone thinks you can permanently remove excess flab by "acquiring" an abdominal wrap, no, won't happen. Surgery is the only way to remove excess skin. But girdles and corsets can certainly hold it in place.

Hello. I will be 53 this year. I had surgery at 50. I do have a small amount of loose skin where my 2nd (and 3rd) chins used to be lol I still look younger than my age but perhaps less so than when the fat was pushing out the wrinkles.

I had a hanging style belly pre surgery and so I have lots of loose skin there as well. I cannot stand shape wear and so just go with it. I had to dress to cover it before surgery and I still do so now.

I am not considering skin removal at this time. But everyone will have to make their own choices there. Good luck.

Me too, Missy. Before surgery people frequently commented on how lovely my skin was. As soon as I lost weight, bingo! Wrinkle City! It was so depressing, and it aged me a little. However, I have to say that after a few years, everything adjusted again and my skin looked younger and smoother. Our bodies go through a lot with life-changing surgery, but it's not necessarily permanent.

Back