• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Malnurished and ready to start over: but where to begin?

Sarah957

Hello everybody!
My name is Sarah, and I had a route en y gastric bypass 13 years ago.

I fell off the diet wagon quiet a while back. In the last year, my teeth have been rotting, I broke my foot (I dont know how) and I dont think it heeled all the way, and now my hip is acting up. My primary care doctor has been testing my vitamin b d and iron in a vitamin panel with a bunch of others and they are all low, but especially the vitamin D. I've been taking 4,000 mg a day for several months and its still only at about half of normal. I'd like to get back on track, this stuff is scaring me. But I dont know where to begin!
Right now I take a liquid multi vitamin, the D, a monthly B shot, and just started liquid iron. What am I still doing wrong? I looked at the bariatric store but have no idea where to even begin.
Is there a diet guide somewhere? Suggestions for how much of what vitamin to take daily ect?

Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

Sarah

Sarah, have you spoken with your bariatric surgeon? Or at least someone in the bariatric field. I think considering the circumstances, they should be able to help you along with your meal plans. I had my Duodenal switch last summer, and I haven't been the greatest patient as far as my eating has been, but most of my blood work has come back normal. Despite the fact that I don't take all the supplements that I was told to take after surgery. My hair has started thinning out, so I am taking biotin for that. I am not doing anything special other than going gluten free at this time. I wish you luck with your doctors.

I would like to but don't know where to find one. My google searches show me research and other information but not who to talk to about plans years after surgery. Maybe I need new key words or something?

Nana67 hi Congratulations on your wedding anniversary and having a great get-together camping and all. I just saw surgeon 's nurse practioner this week she said the reason my hair is falling out is NOT ENOUGH PROTEIN, I told her I had been taking skin hair and nail vitamins she just shook her head and said" YOU MUST GET YOUR PROTEIN IN< she told me to use protein shakes in order to get enough protein in, she said when I don't get enough of it , my weight loss will be slower, so I have been making myself drink more protein shakes. glad they found out that "gluten" is the reason behind your sickness so now you can enjoy more foods and watch for the gluten, I have seen a lot of food marked gluten free, sometimes they want to charge more, which is not fair same way they want to charge more for sugar free, but we are not quitter's so we will win the battle, one bite one day at a time. take care Donna (bigtallsis)

Sarah, try looking under bariatric surgeons in your area, or weight loss surgeons. You could also try the phone book. Also a nutritionist could be of some help for you.

Thank you so much! I am taking biotin, and I am getting plenty of protein, the surgeon says to continue to maintain my protein levels. The thinning hair is a result of the thyroid issue I believe. My pouch has not been able to tolerate the protein shakes, so I have to look for creative ways to get my protein in. My breakfasts are consisting of scrambled eggs with mushrooms and cheese, sometimes with a piece of sausage. I eat grits once in a while, but trying to avoid that carb. My new doctor wants me on B-12 shots that I take myself, I just haven't had the money to get my prescription filled yet.As far as everything else, I take it one day at a time, and everything is a learning process.

welcome sarah. I too think at this time you need the advice of someone in the bariatric field. I don't know about your resources where you live, but possibly contacting the surgeon who did your surgery might be a start. There is usually a bariatric nutritionist on staff that could be helpful to you. For now I think working with your doctor on bringing your viatmin levels within a normal range will help you feel better. It is hard when you are not medically stable to focus of the work of getting back on track with your food. sending healing energy your way.

Hello everybody!
My name is Sarah, and I had a route en y gastric bypass 13 years ago.

I fell off the diet wagon quiet a while back. In the last year, my teeth have been rotting, I broke my foot (I dont know how) and I dont think it heeled all the way, and now my hip is acting up. My primary care doctor has been testing my vitamin b d and iron in a vitamin panel with a bunch of others and they are all low, but especially the vitamin D. I've been taking 4,000 mg a day for several months and its still only at about half of normal. I'd like to get back on track, this stuff is scaring me. But I dont know where to begin!
Right now I take a liquid multi vitamin, the D, a monthly B shot, and just started liquid iron. What am I still doing wrong? I looked at the bariatric store but have no idea where to even begin.
Is there a diet guide somewhere? Suggestions for how much of what vitamin to take daily ect?

Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

Sarah

I would like to but don't know where to find one. My google searches show me research and other information but not who to talk to about plans years after surgery. Maybe I need new key words or something?

I agree with the others in that a bariatric doctor should offer you the best odds of regaining your health. It seems your current doc, a GP perhaps, doesn't know enough to get you healthy. If for some reason you cannot see a bariatric doctor, then focus on getting in your vitamins, protein, veggies, fat, and very little carbs. I have found the combination of my WLS and Atkins to be very beneficial -- not only for weight loss, but also to teach me to eat healthy, whole foods (and get me off those horrid addictive carbs, e.g. sugar, starch, flour).

Back