• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Here

Just trying to figure out things around here, I'm not savvy in anyway to these forums. I'm nine days out from the sleeve and while I felt remarkably well immediately (no pain, nausea, etc) and I've been following my dr's instructions to the letter, I only lost 2 pounds at my one week post op. It was really disappointing having read how much others lose in one week. I know I'm the type to obsess so I didn't even want to know my weight but my dr didn't understand so he told me anyway. I really would prefer to not even know and just go by how I feel and how my clothes fit. Anyway, today is the first day I have felt like myself so I took my dog for a walk which she loved and I didn't hate!

Just trying to figure out things around here, I'm not savvy in anyway to these forums. I'm nine days out from the sleeve and while I felt remarkably well immediately (no pain, nausea, etc) and I've been following my dr's instructions to the letter, I only lost 2 pounds at my one week post op. It was really disappointing having read how much others lose in one week. I know I'm the type to obsess so I didn't even want to know my weight but my dr didn't understand so he told me anyway. I really would prefer to not even know and just go by how I feel and how my clothes fit. Anyway, today is the first day I have felt like myself so I took my dog for a walk which she loved and I didn't hate!
Hi and welcome.

Congratulations on your surgery. It's great to hear it's been going smoothly for you.

Please don't let the number on the scale get to you too much. At only 9 days out, your body is still in shock, trying to heal and a lot of folks retain fluids the first couple weeks. Your body will catch up.

You told your doctor that you didn't want to know what you'd lost and he told you anyway? That was pretty insensitive. Maybe at your next appointment take a minute to really explain the emotional toll it takes on you. Hopefully he will respect your wishes and leave the decision up to you.

I'm glad you feel like yourself and got out for a walk. Good luck with everything. :)

I’m sorry about your doctor ignoring your request, but congratulations on your weight loss and new journey. Happy you are feeling well and getting out to enjoy the day.

Welcome to the group! I agree with Brenda, try not to focus on the number because so many things are happening in your body right now. And your body is not like anyone else's so it is not going to work the same. I have had to learn that since surgery. I have read about people losing so much weight in the first few months, but since week 2 I have lost a consistent 2 lbs per week. It is annoying, but at least it is a loss! While I would love for the weight to just fall off, I am loving the feeling after my workouts and knowing that I FEEL healthier and I can even see the inches coming off so I know I look healthier. Hopefully the dr will respect your wishes in the future, but if not, the only person you can compare yourself to is you. Just make sure you are making progress in all the right areas (food, exercise, etc.) and you should feel great knowing that the new you has worked hard to get where you are. Good luck and let us know how it all goes :)

Back