• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Post-op Struggles

Hi all! I had my sleeve in 2011, lost 100lb, then slowly gained it all back. After trying every diet known to man, decided to try revision surgery. My insurance wouldn't cover it so I had to pay cash. I had surgery on Dec 29, and have had a good deal of pain but finally feeling better and returning to work tomorrow. I am nervous and having a lot of self-doubt that I did not anticipate. What if it doesn't work? What if the 20lb I've lost so far doesn't turn into 40, then 60, then 100...what if I've put my body through this and my family into debt for nothing?? I've only started on the 3rd phase of post op diet yesterday, pureed. I'm worried that I haven't felt full when I've eaten a normal portion of oatmeal for breakfast and cottage cheese for lunch. What if I end up able to eat as much as I was before?? I definitely have more education and resources than I did the first time around, but I just wish I had the confidence I thought I would before surgery. Anyone else feeling this way???

Welcome Darlene! I totally understand your fears. One of the most important keys for success is to stay in a support group and you've found the best around. Reach out to the members here as often as you need to. And you are right that there are more resources these days at your finger tips, so take advantage of those.

It is so important to practice self care and really take time to take care of yourself. Don't let a busy life get in your way and prioritize YOU which will in turn benefit all other aspects of your life.

Do you best not to dwell on what has happened in the past or what might happen in the future. Stick to your eating plan and you will be fine.

Hi, Darlene. I had the bypass in June of 2020. And to be 100% honest with you, I CAN eat much more than I had expected. I also can eat more "garbage" food than I thought I would be able to process. That being said ...
The beauty of the bypass surgery is it basically gives you a "reset". You should view this as an opportunity to start making better choices for yourself. For the first year, I really focused on ME and what I needed to be healthy and happy. Of course, life has since intruded in a big way. But I am trying to use the knowledge and power that I gained during that first year to work through it.

Focus on protein! Lean meats, cheeses, eggs and beans are so much more filling than say .. Cheetos!
Once you're further along, raw and roasted veggies make excellent snacks. I get tired of chewing carrots and celery lol And roasted veg tastes WAY better than say .... Cheetos!
Measure and track your food. When you've hit your daily allowance, stop eating. And if you decided to eat a snack size bag of say ... Cheetos, track it.
Also .. stay away from Cheetos they're really not as good as you remember. And those types of foods are designed and manufactured to keep you coming back. So, every time you are able, choose whole, natural foods.

You are in charge of your own destiny. You have the world's best tool; use it.

Welcome Darlene! I totally understand your fears. One of the most important keys for success is to stay in a support group and you've found the best around. Reach out to the members here as often as you need to. And you are right that there are more resources these days at your finger tips, so take advantage of those.

It is so important to practice self care and really take time to take care of yourself. Don't let a busy life get in your way and prioritize YOU which will in turn benefit all other aspects of your life.

Do you best not to dwell on what has happened in the past or what might happen in the future. Stick to your eating plan and you will be fine.
Thank you so much!!

Hi, Darlene. I had the bypass in June of 2020. And to be 100% honest with you, I CAN eat much more than I had expected. I also can eat more "garbage" food than I thought I would be able to process. That being said ...
The beauty of the bypass surgery is it basically gives you a "reset". You should view this as an opportunity to start making better choices for yourself. For the first year, I really focused on ME and what I needed to be healthy and happy. Of course, life has since intruded in a big way. But I am trying to use the knowledge and power that I gained during that first year to work through it.

Focus on protein! Lean meats, cheeses, eggs and beans are so much more filling than say .. Cheetos!
Once you're further along, raw and roasted veggies make excellent snacks. I get tired of chewing carrots and celery lol And roasted veg tastes WAY better than say .... Cheetos!
Measure and track your food. When you've hit your daily allowance, stop eating. And if you decided to eat a snack size bag of say ... Cheetos, track it.
Also .. stay away from Cheetos they're really not as good as you remember. And those types of foods are designed and manufactured to keep you coming back. So, every time you are able, choose whole, natural foods.

You are in charge of your own destiny. You have the world's best tool; use it.
Thank you so much!!

I am nervous and having a lot of self-doubt that I did not anticipate. What if it doesn't work? What if the 20lb I've lost so far doesn't turn into 40, then 60, then 100...what if I've put my body through this and my family into debt for nothing?? I've only started on the 3rd phase of post op diet yesterday, pureed. I'm worried that I haven't felt full when I've eaten a normal portion of oatmeal for breakfast and cottage cheese for lunch. What if I end up able to eat as much as I was before?? I definitely have more education and resources than I did the first time around, but I just wish I had the confidence I thought I would before surgery. Anyone else feeling this way???
Darlene, welcome. What you're experiencing is called "catastrophizing." It's common, and you can beat it.

I know I sound like a broken record sometimes when I recommend affirmations, but they work. You have this nonstop self-critical tape running through your head and it's been thriving for years. It's become your nature, but it's just the opposite. You're a rockstar. Look what you've done already! Making the decision to have surgery is bravery only a small percentage of people exercise.

There's a great book I've recommended called, "The Only Diet There Is," by Sondra Ray. She details an exercise to change your thinking. It's simple.

I was going to explain it, but you can search here quicker. I have pics of my journal, too. A journal is SO helpful.

But this is enough for now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211207-183106-905.png
    Screenshot_20211207-183106-905.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20200424-135950.png
    Screenshot_20200424-135950.png
    298.3 KB · Views: 77
Hey Darlene, congratulations on having your revision surgery. That means that you still are determined to live a healthier life. Excellent!

May I suggest that you make sure you stay hydrated by getting/sipping 64+ ozs of water daily. Even more, say 80 ozs, would be fine, and it will go a long way toward helping you feel fuller and more satisfied. Another important thing to remember is to wait 30 minutes before and after meals to drink your water. Good luck in your journey.

Back