• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New To All Of This... Waiting For Surgery Date For Gastric Bypass

My name is Kristy, It is nice to meet you all I am waiting for my suregery date I am getting excited to start the process and lose this extra weight I am tired of carrying it around with me :) I am looking for any information possible about what any of you have gone thru.

Thanks In Advance.

Kristy-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to have WLS. There are a lot of things we go through as we progress through our weight loss journey. You might want to read back through some of the posts to get a general idea of what to expect before and after surgery. It's pretty much going to be what you learned during your seminars and consults with your surgeon and nutritionist. But feel free to ask questions if there is something in particilar you want to know about. This is very friendly forum so don't be shy about asking questions :) :) :) Everyone here will make you feel right at home.

Thanks everyone since I am just starting out with the entire process I know its alot of hard work and dedication and I know I can get thru all this its just gonna take time lol...

Kristy & Melissa~~

I am new to this cite but already have found great people and information. I'm thankful you both are here. I am almost 3 months post-op from the gastric bypass and doing great. It's scary (of the unknown) especially if you have never really had surgery before. The main thing to remember is to follow your surgeon's directions to the very best of your ability. I'm excited for both of you. Please keep us informed on how things are going for you both.

Take care and you're in my prayers as you both are getting closer to surgery.

Hi J. Lee
thanks for the encouragement! My last doctor appointment with PA to the surgeon is tomorrow. I turn in all the paperwork of everything I have had to complete in the last 6 months for the surgery. then they turn all that in to my insurance and then I wait to see if I have been approved for surgery. Then I can schedule my surgery!! YAY! Hopefully it will be by mid September. You are doing so great with your weight loss, I am jealous... ;-) LOL. I almost wish I had elected for bypass. Good luck on your continued success!
Melissa

Melissa-If you are serious about wanting to switch to a gastric bypass I'm sure it's very doable. Talk to your surgeon or the surgeon's insurance coordinator about it. It really shouldn't delay anything since the pre-surgical testing, etc., is pretty much the same.

I was fortunate in that having all the tests and seeing all the doctor's it was only 2 short weeks until I got the call. I was so surprised that I was kind of speechless. Melissa I had the sleeve. At first I compared my weight loss to others that had RNY. I came to accept that my journey and recovery would be different. I am glad I choose the surgery I did. However, if you have any doubts you should speak with your doctor ASAP. I knew from the beginning that this is the only surgery I would get. Kristy waiting can be tough, but you look young and have your whole life ahead of you. You didn't mention if you are following a pre-op food plan. Maybe that happens after you have been approved. I wish you both well and please come back to let us know when you get your dates.

I'm new, too, and haven't had my gastric bypass surgery, yet. I've found this forum to be too fantastic to be true. I know you're going to love it.

Hi, my name is Tillie I am new here too. I have a tentative date of 12/2 they are just waiting on some reports from the cardiologist. I am very excited. Good luck and hope to see you again on the site.

Back