• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New

I thought about it for years as well before I finally did something about it. I had the bypass on June 22nd and could not be happier. I almost wish I'd have done it as soon as I'd had the thought. But I know I wasn't truly ready to make the commitment at that time. The pre-op tests and appointments are so great for getting both mentally and physically prepared for your journey. It's great that you're finding a support group and looking for all the info in advance.

Welcome! I had my endoscopy recently. It was a lovely nap LOL But with 3 kids running around with quarantine energy, I was happy to out of the house for anything! It was a very easy process. I’m waiting on insurance approval, so I hope to have my gastric bypass done by mid October. I thought about this for a long time before I was able to do it (mentally and financially), and I was so scared that I almost had a panic attack while calling the surgery center to set up my first appointment! But it was the best scariest phone call I’ve ever made, if that makes sense ;)

Welcome to the group! You are embarking on a life-changing process that takes a lot of courage and fortitude.

Below are my personal tips, which may vary highly from others. These are what I feel worked well for me so far.

My personal tips:
  • During the months before surgery, start to mimic, as closely as you can, your post-surgery life. This will start creating new, life-long habits that will pay dividends after surgery.
    • Eat slowly, chew each bite for 20 seconds
    • Take 20-30 min to eat a meal
    • Don't drink 30 min before or after a meal (there is some controversy over this, but it is commonly suggested by most surgeons and dieticians)
    • Give up carbonated drinks
    • Give up caffeine
  • Follow the pre-surgery diet and guidelines as closely as possible. Try not to swerve off track.
    • Recent studies in Europe demonstrated that patients who followed the pre-surgery diet to the letter had better success and greater health benefits after surgery than those who did not.
    • Following the pre-surgery diet well also makes your surgery statistically safer
  • If you aren't drinking 64oz of water a day, start doing that now. Make it a habit (it goes with my first point above, but water gets its own point because it is very, very important).
  • Consider talking to a counselor/therapist to identify any problem areas with food...emotional eating, food addiction, binging, etc. Start working on any issues like that prior to surgery. I know this scares some people because they think the bariatric psychologist might disqualify them. I suppose that is a risk, but if you don't deal with food issues, the likelihood of those bad patterns repeating in post-surgery life is certainly higher.
  • Stay active on forums like this and learn from people who have been through it and are going through it.
  • Ask lots of questions of your bariatric team, especially your dietician, but seek out other opinions and do your own research as well.
  • If you aren't exercising, and you aren't medically limited, start walking now and get into a light exercise habit that will carry over after surgery.
  • Think about how you are or aren't going to communicate your surgery to others. Are you going to keep it to yourself or a select few, or are you going to be open about it.
    • At first, I kept it to myself, but after I actually had the surgery, I just tell people. I don't give a crap what they think. I didn't do it for them. I don't shout it from the rooftops, but if someone is curious, I tell them. That being said, this approach is not for everyone and you should do what you feel is right for you. It really depends on what you know, or think you know about family, friends and others who may react. For me, at least to my face, the people who know are very supportive.
  • Start getting rid of all the shit food in your house, if you haven't done so already.
  • Don't have a "last hurrah" with some crappy food, just ease into health choices. The "last supper binge" isn't really a helpful behavior. I used to do that all the time prior to starting a diet. I didn't do that this time. Sure, I had a couple of things in the last few months that I knew I wouldn't be able to eat regularly, but I didn't go crazy, and I actually think that helped me ease into the eating habits I'm building today.
  • Post-surgery, capitalize on the 12-24 month "honeymoon period" to continue building lifelong healthy eating and exercise habits. If you feel yourself slipping into old habits and poor food choices, seek help from support communities and your bariatric team.
  • Stay positive and keep your eye on the prize - surgery and post-surgery life. Don't forget the reasons you decided to go down this road.
  • If anyone gives you grief about the surgery, just smile and move on. They are ignorant and you are smart. No need to belabor it.
There you go, my two cents. I wish you the very best on your journey!!!

Back