• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbe here, 12 years out

Jack

I had gastric bypass about 12 years ago. I am generally very satisfied. I loved to eat (still do) but when I hit 315lbs, I had to make a decision I could continue as I was and resign myself to setting in my recliner watching TV for the rest of my life (I am 72 now) or try to stay mobile for as long as possible. I decided to give up eating the way I loved to. It was a rough road but was worth it. My beginning weight was 315 and I set a goal of 190. I did not achieve my goal which was based on military standards, my doctor later told me that my goal was a little unrealistic based on my age. My lowest was 197 which creeper up to 210 where it has been stable for about 9 years now. I am not doing special diet any more accept the bariatric vitamins. I will make a meal, for instance breakfast, the take 3 or 4 hours to eat it. I am retired, which allows me to do that.

Thanks for the feedback. I am satisfied with 210 and more importantly my Doc is too. The reason I am a newbie so late is that I still have a problem. Due to recent life changes I need to eat out more often. That has reminded me, forcefully, that dumping is still a thing. For me that means that I will need to excuse myself and got to the restroom to get rid of the meal. Any suggestions?

My husband travels a LOT for work. He tries to focus on Mexican or BBQ for food options. Both make it very easy to focus on protein, as they have lots of meat and beans. Just make sure they serve the barbecue sauce on the side, as it usually has a ton of sugar.

You have to make the healthiest choice, rather than the tastiest one, when you eat out regularly. Most restaurants add lots of salt, fat and/or sugar to make their food taste good. They don't make those healthy swaps to you make at home.

Also, really pay attention to how much you're eating. The servings are huge in most places, which can lead to you thinking you a ate less than you did.

Hi Jack! Congratulations on your longterm success!
Is it possible to pack food from home in a cooler?
What I try to do when we go out to dinner is share with my husband if he's getting something I like but generally he gets a greek salad with chicken :) boring to me as we eat that at home most nights.
But I will order from the appetizer menu, ask for a take home box with my meal and take off the plate what I know I should not eat. Or order a nice French onion soup remove that bread and enjoy it slowly.

Back