• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

No drinking with meals

Brenda2010

Hey guys,

Not drinking with meals has come up a few times in the last month. This is a rule that I break everyday so I did some research to find out why most (if not all) doctors advise against it. I found this YouTube post that provides a visual aid on what happens when we drink with meals after surgery:

I also have a suspicion that due to the malabsorption factor of RNY, the faster food is washed away, the less nutrients we absorb. I have yet to find an article on that but it seems logical.

I don't know if I'll be able to change this lifelong habit but will definitely be more mindful of all this.

Happy Thursday everyone!

Hey guys,

Not drinking with meals has come up a few times in the last month. This is a rule that I break everyday so I did some research to find out why most (if not all) doctors advise against it. I found this YouTube post that provides a visual aid on what happens when we drink with meals after surgery:

I also have a suspicion that due to the malabsorption factor of RNY, the faster food is washed away, the less nutrients we absorb. I have yet to find an article on that but it seems logical.

I don't know if I'll be able to change this lifelong habit but will definitely be more mindful of all this.

Happy Thursday everyone!
That is a great explanation. I will definitely take it much more serous.

Thanks for that, the demonstration really help me to understand the reasoning. What I do to keep from picking up a drink while eating it, I don’t put any liquids on the table while I eat. When I’m done I clean up,by then I’m ready for that beverage. I’m so uses to having some kind of beverage next to my plate all my life.

Back