• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Please help

So I had my surgery for the sleeve on Friday . I know I am only 3 days out but I am having some issues that maybe one of you guys would be able to help with. One of my issues is that I have to crush like 5 pills I need to take. I have tried putting them in water with a little bit of non caloric drink mix to distract from the flavor but I almost threw up and I don't know what else to do. I am also trying to get down my liquid and protien goals but I am definitely not hitting them any suggestions are very welcomed.

For the pills ask your MD and/or RX if they make a liquid form of your medication. Or if they can put it into a 'suspension'(A pharmaceutical suspension may be defined as a coarse dispersion containing finely divided insoluble material suspended in a liquid medium)

The keeping stuff down part I don't know. My best GUESS would slow down your eating, and talk to your MD or Dietician.

You're only 3 days out of a major surgery healing takes time. I don't know you, but YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! Don't be frightened reach out to your medical team for answers to your major questions. YOU GOT THIS!

The pills are always nasty, never like in Mary popping with her spoonful of sugar to help them go down. Believe in your ability to do this. I agree with gordo sips not gulps are the answer, to not throwing up. As far as protein goes the broths and a drink called protein 2 point 0 can be helpful. Check with your team verify if that will be acceptable before changing. May your journey be blessed.

I'm sorry you are having trouble. Most of us did that soon out.

Your protein and liquid goals are just that GOALS. Something to work toward. You need protein and water to survive, of course. So if you're truly not getting enough, speak to your medical team. But even 1/2 of your goals is usually enough to get you through to try again tomorrow.

I love El Gordos suggestion about liquid form or suspension!! Great tip!!. If they cannot, are your pills very large? Is there a reason they won't just let you swallow them? Cut them in half?

You'll feel better soon just hang in there!

My pills are larger, I just found out like a day ago if the pill is no larger then an eraser on a pencil it's fine to swallow whole. Unfortunately that leaves me with like 4 pills I have to crush. I have reached out to several pharmacy company's in my area and they don't do the suspension on some of my medication, and if they do it's outragous the amount of money they want to charge and my insurance won't cover it. I am trying to take the crushed pulls and adding them in some unsweetened apple sauce. It seems to help a little.

My pills are larger, I just found out like a day ago if the pill is no larger then an eraser on a pencil it's fine to swallow whole. Unfortunately that leaves me with like 4 pills I have to crush. I have reached out to several pharmacy company's in my area and they don't do the suspension on some of my medication, and if they do it's outragous the amount of money they want to charge and my insurance won't cover it. I am trying to take the crushed pulls and adding them in some unsweetened apple sauce. It seems to help a little.
Oh yeah, that brought up some bad memories. I had the same problem with one or two of my meds following surgery. Trying to find a method that fits your coverage is impossible sometimes. I just bit the bullet, as unpleasant as it was.

There will always be obstacles related to this surgery, but that's just part of the deal. You'll be forced to spend more time dealing with challenges and they'll occupy your day. Eventually you achieve a new normal.

In the end, any inconvenience is worth the tradeoff that saves you from a life of obesity and its comorbidities. Just direct your focus toward the future and do positive things to reach your goal.

Back