• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-op diet questions!

Lorelai

So I'm looking to have the sleeve surgery done and I have my first meeting with my surgeon next week. I was wondering how long the pre-op diet is and what it's restricted to. Is it only liquid? And do things such as fruit smoothies with protein powder count?

Unfortunately those are questions only your doctor can answer. Some of us had 2 week preop liquid, and it was strict liquid. Some were allowed some foods, but those were specific. I didn’t have any preop liquid diet at all which is rare for bariatric surgery. It all depends on what your doctor says.

Unfortunately those are questions only your doctor can answer. Some of us had 2 week preop liquid, and it was strict liquid. Some were allowed some foods, but those were specific. I didn’t have any preop liquid diet at all which is rare for bariatric surgery. It all depends on what your doctor says.
Alright, thank you! I figured I would start weaning myself off of caffeine and start pushing protein shake meal replacements into my diet to make transition a bit smoother, regardless.
Make yourself a list of question to take in to the Dr. Every team is different you will need to follow your team's time table.
That makes sense! I've already got a bit of a list going haha

I always had a list of ??? for each dr/dietician etc visit. They probably rolled their eyes every visit I made.

I usually offer my 2 cents worth of advice by suggesting getting your water consumption up to 64+ oz water while weaning yourself off of sodas (reg AND diet), juices, & caffeine (good job with that already).

I would also, with your dr's permission, add movement daily. Even leg lifts & marching in place while sitting & watching tv, and using canned goods as weights while moving your arms will build good habits for post-surgery life.

I always had a list of ??? for each dr/dietician etc visit. They probably rolled their eyes every visit I made.

I usually offer my 2 cents worth of advice by suggesting getting your water consumption up to 64+ oz water while weaning yourself off of sodas (reg AND diet), juices, & caffeine (good job with that already).

I would also, with your dr's permission, add movement daily. Even leg lifts & marching in place while sitting & watching tv, and using canned goods as weights while moving your arms will build good habits for post-surgery life.
I've actually been doing a bit. I had to do physical therapy at the beginning of this year and I bought resistance bands to help on my journey to relearn how to walk after a long hospital stay last year and I've been using them to work out my legs and arms. As well as jogging in place every other day for the length of two songs.

I've filled like ten pages of a note book with questions and things to buy before surgery and random notes I've seen others talk about haha I really want to be prepared!

Back