• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Questions about Sleeve Gastrectomy results

Marie E

Hi, I am Marie (new to this forum)
I have a question for those who have had a sleeve gastrectomy. When you did your pre-op 2 week diet those of you who had minimal weight loss during this time, did it effect the total loss outcome post op? Or did it have no bearing on the outcome of the procedure?
I am on day 5 of my pre-op diet (using Optifast 900 3 X's daily and consuming 3 cups vegetables intermittantly and 2 oz protein in replace of 1 shake)
I am growing concerned that even though I am on 90% liquids at this time, I have only lost 6 lbs.
My procedure is scheduled for 7th July.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Marie

I didn't lose anything until the very end of the 2 weeks. Originally I lost about 70 pounds, most of it was lost in 6 months. I lost about 20 of it after. I had surgery 3 years ago. I have since gained 20-25 back

Marie,

I'm knew here too and only 22 days out from my sleeve surgery. I found unbelievable support here along with such wonderful tips, ideas and shared experiences.

I don't even own a scale. That said I lost a total of 34 pounds between my 2-week pre op and the first 15 days after surgery. I was weighed the day I started my 2-week pre op at the doctor's office and then weighed again at my 1st surgery post op appointment. I don't really know when I lost what weight just that I did. 6 pounds is a great start do not compare yourself to others experiences because you are you and that's just fine.

For me watching a scale is a negative. I go by the way I feel in my clothes and how much easier it is for me to do things. I'm 57 and this was my last hope for being healthier and that's the most important thing for me. I want to be here 10-20 years more with the best quality of life I can have. I'm not looking to wear the latest fashion trends or bikinis; I'm not doing this for a man or relationship. It's for me and my health and life quality, so I try to keep all the negative things out of my head (sometimes that's easier said than done) and only weigh myself at the doctors' appointments I have that way its months between weigh ins, and I don't see the times when I go a week without losing anything. This helps me keep my thoughts positive and to keep on track.

I was also lucky in that I had a year from my first appointment with the surgeon and lost over 50 pounds in that time, so my surgeon was not holding a required weight loss over my head to agree to perform the surgery. She was already happy with what I lost and only wanted me on the full liquid diet (only liquid protein shakes, clear liquids like isopure or bone broth, no solid foods whatsoever, I was having 80 -90 grams of protein and 64 oz of water only with the calorie count around 400-500 calories a day. It was brutal) for the 2 weeks prior to the surgery because, I was told that helps shrink the liver which lays on top of your stomach and the smaller it is the easier the laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is to perform and to recover from. If my liver had still been larger than she wanted I would have had 5 incision sites instead of 4.

Anyhow what I am trying to say is don't worry about how much you lose this is a lifelong journey and you will get there in your time doing it your best way. Any person who takes the step for weight loss surgery has to acknowledge that there are sacrifices and struggles along the way that they are willing to go through to get what they want out of their life. I have faith in you.

Marie,

I'm knew here too and only 22 days out from my sleeve surgery. I found unbelievable support here along with such wonderful tips, ideas and shared experiences.

I don't even own a scale. That said I lost a total of 34 pounds between my 2-week pre op and the first 15 days after surgery. I was weighed the day I started my 2-week pre op at the doctor's office and then weighed again at my 1st surgery post op appointment. I don't really know when I lost what weight just that I did. 6 pounds is a great start do not compare yourself to others experiences because you are you and that's just fine.

For me watching a scale is a negative. I go by the way I feel in my clothes and how much easier it is for me to do things. I'm 57 and this was my last hope for being healthier and that's the most important thing for me. I want to be here 10-20 years more with the best quality of life I can have. I'm not looking to wear the latest fashion trends or bikinis; I'm not doing this for a man or relationship. It's for me and my health and life quality, so I try to keep all the negative things out of my head (sometimes that's easier said than done) and only weigh myself at the doctors' appointments I have that way its months between weigh ins, and I don't see the times when I go a week without losing anything. This helps me keep my thoughts positive and to keep on track.

I was also lucky in that I had a year from my first appointment with the surgeon and lost over 50 pounds in that time, so my surgeon was not holding a required weight loss over my head to agree to perform the surgery. She was already happy with what I lost and only wanted me on the full liquid diet (only liquid protein shakes, clear liquids like isopure or bone broth, no solid foods whatsoever, I was having 80 -90 grams of protein and 64 oz of water only with the calorie count around 400-500 calories a day. It was brutal) for the 2 weeks prior to the surgery because, I was told that helps shrink the liver which lays on top of your stomach and the smaller it is the easier the laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is to perform and to recover from. If my liver had still been larger than she wanted I would have had 5 incision sites instead of 4.

Anyhow what I am trying to say is don't worry about how much you lose this is a lifelong journey and you will get there in your time doing it your best way. Any person who takes the step for weight loss surgery has to acknowledge that there are sacrifices and struggles along the way that they are willing to go through to get what they want out of their life. I have faith in you.
Love your answer!! this forum is great, I came here since yesterday and you guys have already helped me a lot, God Bless you all... I am scared, excited and all in between, I am 59 years old low BMI of 35 BUT MY goal is all the metabolic diseases i have type 2 diabetes, high blood presure, fat live sleep apnea, so I want to be here for my grankids and healthy...is that too much to ask?!

Hector, calm down lol As a person who worried about everything before it happens, I get it. I do. But, you don't need to figure everything out right now. You'll truly figure it out.

Your surgical team will give you a specific diet plan for approx 6 weeks after surgery. After that, you DO eat a normal diet. Its just healthier and in smaller amounts than the one you had in the past. If you have type 2 diabetes, you know what you're supposed to eat. You'll do fine!

Also, I had the bypass 3 1/2 years ago. I no longer have ANY of the metabolic issues you mentioned. And I had everything you said, except apnea!

Hi, I am Marie (new to this forum)
I have a question for those who have had a sleeve gastrectomy. When you did your pre-op 2 week diet those of you who had minimal weight loss during this time, did it effect the total loss outcome post op? Or did it have no bearing on the outcome of the procedure?
I am on day 5 of my pre-op diet (using Optifast 900 3 X's daily and consuming 3 cups vegetables intermittantly and 2 oz protein in replace of 1 shake)
I am growing concerned that even though I am on 90% liquids at this time, I have only lost 6 lbs.
My procedure is scheduled for 7th July.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Marie
Marie, why are you using Optifast? You should have gotten a "diet" from your bariatric team. IMO this group is not about counting calories, but tracking your eating. And that should be in a journal, in writing, in ink.

Liquids are actually solids. The molecular structure is different but when it hits your intestines, it separates and the solid turns into stool.

Welcome to the group, but understand, we are here to support you and cannot answer diet-related questions. You should be having followups with your surgeon and regular contact with your bariatric nutritionist.

Hector, calm down lol As a person who worried about everything before it happens, I get it. I do. But, you don't need to figure everything out right now. You'll truly figure it out.

Your surgical team will give you a specific diet plan for approx 6 weeks after surgery. After that, you DO eat a normal diet. Its just healthier and in smaller amounts than the one you had in the past. If you have type 2 diabetes, you know what you're supposed to eat. You'll do fine!

Also, I had the bypass 3 1/2 years ago. I no longer have ANY of the metabolic issues you mentioned. And I had everything you said, except apnea!
Thank you Missy lol

The pre-op diet sucks!! All your hormones are in full blown We Are Starving mode and you can't eat. It does get better and its only 2 weeks!

What IS your pre-op diet? Are you liquid only? Light dinner? There are several different recommendations based on your own surgeons preferences.

The pre-op diet sucks!! All your hormones are in full blown We Are Starving mode and you can't eat. It does get better and its only 2 weeks!

What IS your pre-op diet? Are you liquid only? Light dinner? There are several different recommendations based on your own surgeons preferences.
My BMI is 35.6 so I did not need the liquid one, is a lot of dry food like soups and drinks that I need to add water, even though I am only 250 pounds, is killing me, I have a friend that he did all liquid for alomst a month. he said it was horrible... my day 7 I went to see my surgery nurse and some finance stuff, and got back to work now, buy I agreed with you it does SUCK!!!

Lots of things suck. But change takes effort and you will experience pain and discomfort and you'll want to ditch it all and go back to the comfort of overeating. Some of the things I did was to buy new, smaller clothes at thrift stores that I couldn't fit into, and then work toward to the weight I needed to lose so I could wear them. Worked for me.

Back