• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

RNY and Prolia

Deb67

My Dr gave me first shot of Prolia for Osteoporosis that is bad.I had it on the 12th. I just found out RNY patients cant have that shot. I need to get off it. Im scared to death and been crying. Im also have alot of horrible side effects. PLEASE if anyone knows about us not taking the shot and what we CAN take to stop the REBOUND of Prolia. Please get back to me.

My Dr gave me first shot of Prolia for Osteoporosis that is bad.I had it on the 12th. I just found out RNY patients cant have that shot. I need to get off it. Im scared to death and been crying. Im also have alot of horrible side effects. PLEASE if anyone knows about us not taking the shot and what we CAN take to stop the REBOUND of Prolia. Please get back to me.
I don't know anything about this, and I doubt anyone in this group can speak intelligently to it, unless they're a medical professional. This is a question for a doctor. Where are you getting your information that informed you you shouldn't be taking this? Please tell us more about the foundation for your belief, as you may help someone else here who DOESN'T know this. More information, please, including links or pointing to source materials.

Also, I know people might not think this is important, but it's not RNY. It's RYGB. There's no "N" in the name of the procedure. It's "en," which is part of the phrase "roux en Y," which you can look up for yourself. It literally describes the path of the procedure in the gut.

I don't think it's trivial to be accurate, especially when you're talking about a science-based medical procedure. And why would you prefer RNY to RYGB? I'm not talking specifically to you, Deb. Please don't be offended. So many people use this phrase, and it just drives me a little bit nuts because there's no reason to do it when it just as easy to be correct.

Back