• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Skin sagging

I’m 2 months out and I do have some “bat wings” going on, but not like I thought I would. I’ve been doing some light weights and strengthening exercises 2-3 times/week, after getting the okay from my surgeon. I think the weight loss might be a little slower, but I am gaining muscle instead of losing it, which works for me.

I am 2.5 years post op, coming up on 3 years and have lost 230 pounds. The best thing for me is exercising, preferably focused on toning. Yoga is great for it, but of course you can check with your insurance to see what coverage you have for skin removal if you think it's too much. Patience is key, and I remind myself that the process is life-changing and will take some time. Don't get discouraged and keep pushing forward!

It is going to depend on your age and your skins elasticity. You cannot tone away the sagging skin of losing a ton of weight. It will recover somewhat but you are going to have excess skin. That's just fact.

If it becomes a medical issue, such as its causing rashes under your belly, your insurance company may pay to have that excess skin removed. WLS centers are very good at getting this covered if its necessary.

I will tell you I joke all the time that I have 17 ass rolls lol But, I did not have the perfect body when I was fat, so I'm not surprised I don't have one now. I do not think my loose skin is any more ugly, (to use your word) than my rolls of fat were.

I lost 100lbs. I no longer have diabetes. I no longer have to take medication for blood pressure or cholesterol. I no longer have to take pain meds because my feet/joints hurt too badly to function without them. Instead, I hiked around the Grand Canyon in 108 degree temps. I feel amazing. A M A Z I N G !! I would not trade that for anything. My ass could hang down to my knees and I'd still recommend this surgery.

If it becomes a medical issue, such as its causing rashes under your belly, your insurance company may pay to have that excess skin removed.

just to expand on this statement from Missy I didn't get a rash. I got slimy sweaty gloop that had yeast cells in it and it stank and hurt SO BAD. I couldn't wash it off because it wants to stick to your skin. After a while I began to wear long sanitary pads across the fold to suspend and separate the skin folds. I still have folds, but enough air gets in to keep the bad stuff from growing.

I went to inquire about surgery but I focused on aesthetics instead of stressing my infections, so i was turned down. Because it's in my medical records, i can't go back and say oops, i meant to ask for surgery to stop the infections...

I ended up buying yeast infection medicine in a tube or athlete's foot goo (same thing) and applying it topically.

Situps will help, but will not cure. I think if you have significant folds, you should really hammer on your doctor, get referrals to more docs, get letters written, make sure your agony is documented in your records and don't stop until you find a doc who will do the surgery.

There will be loose skin for most people. I personally found that it was very loose because of how quickly I lost, and then it kind of bounced back a bit as the elasticity caught up with the loss (think of your belly following a pregnancy - it is looser right after, but does come back some). Ultimately, it did not come back enough to avoid surgery. I mean, I could have avoided it and just dealt with the skin, but it was bothersome for me personally, so I had skin removal surgery.

Back