• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleep apnea

3boysmom

Really frustrated that I have to do a sleep test. I feel like it will find I have sleep apnea and I'll have to go through the whole cpap thing and after surgery I won't need it anyway. The surgeons I had before didn't care about testing for sleep apnea, my surgeons now want everyone tested. Uuhh

I have no soothing words, but in my first sleep study, when I was quite overweight, the graph indicated I stopped breathing many times. The longest gap was 1 minute and 20 seconds. I couldn't do that deliberately if I tried! It really made me wonder how many people who die of "natural causes" actually die of apnea.

I don't use my CPAP anymore. Haven't needed it since I lost all the weight. I still have troubled sleep from PTSD, but now I wake up from nightmares, not suffocation.

I had a slightly different experience. When I first started the process, my bmi was between 35 & 39.9 based on my height (5'4"). The wt loss center would not let me have an appointment bc insurance required 2 co-morbidities with that bmi, and I only had 1, high blood pressure. So I had my pcp schedule a sleep study for me, I was found to have mild sleep apnea, and now I qualified for applying for weight loss surgery.

Ironically, at my 1st bariatric appointment, my actual height now is 5' 2", which put my bmi slightly above 40, which meant I could qualify with no co-morbidities.

And on top of everything else, my pcp said she will schedule another sleep study in a few months that likely will show that I no longer have sleep apnea. Go figure. But, that's ok. Whatever I needed to do was ok fine by me, and now I'm on the other side, down almost 40 lbs, and life is so incredible!

Good luck as you continue your journey. ❤❤

Oddly enough, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea before I was significantly overweight. After I had gained weight, got sleeved, and lost about 40 pounds, my sleep apnea worsened (>40 events/hour). I went in for another sleep study, including a split study, and they determined I had central sleep apnea (the cause is brain-related), not obstructive sleep apnea. I switched type of cpap machine, but may never get over the apnea. That’s ok. Waking up that often made me feel like a zombie, and I’m grateful that in this day and age we have cpap machines!

It isn't always caused by weight. As noted above there are different types as well. Sometimes genetics are a factor. My spouse is not over weight at all and has a cpap because I forced the issue. They never knew it was a thing but when I was waking midnight to the gasping for breath it was scary as hell.

I have no soothing words, but in my first sleep study, when I was quite overweight, the graph indicated I stopped breathing many times. The longest gap was 1 minute and 20 seconds. I couldn't do that deliberately if I tried! It really made me wonder how many people who die of "natural causes" actually die of apnea.

I don't use my CPAP anymore. Haven't needed it since I lost all the weight. I still have troubled sleep from PTSD, but now I wake up from nightmares, not suffocation.
Couldn't agree more! Aside from keeping my wife up, during therapy I broached the subject and I said the mask is so not attractive and how come people didn't die of sleep apnea decades ago??? She being an older wiser woman said...............they simply died. I took a test and failed miserably, BUT having sleep apnea was one of the many reasons I knew I had a greater problem which is why I'm getting WLS. I'm scheduled for March and it can't get here quick enough. Good luck

Back