• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Soft food

Reminyx

So I had my meeting with a NUT last Monday. However it was spent focusing more on my protein intake rather than the next phase of my diet soft food. The info they send me is pretty much useless. I know I can add meat now so I have pulled chicken ready but I’m curious if anyone has any advise or favorites during the soft food? Am I able to have steamed veggies?
I’m also told to stay away from eggs still.... apparently they don’t advise bypass patients to have eggs for almost 3 months :-(.

also side question: when could I have nachos (like soft nachos that I cook with cheese)? Or fajitas (no wrap is fine but the veggies and meat)?

I had a bad experience with eggs and I was NOT advised to stay away from them. I wish I had been because it was unpleasant. For the soft foods I had blended soups, a lot of what I had on the liquid phase, sugar free pudding with added protein powder, mashed carrots...and I honestly can’t remember what else LOL I know it wasn’t terrible, so I’m not sure why I’m blocking. Probably because it didn’t last long enough to remember.

I have been having a lot of soup (probably get a bit adventurous with them to be fair). Not the biggest fan or most soups. Most of the stuff I see, I feel like soft food is just puréed with unblended meat. :-/ I did send my NUT a message to see about steamed veggies since I’d love some brussel sprouts lol

I didn't know that about eggs, maybe because I had VSG instead of bypass. Eggs were what I ate a lot of in the beginning so I'm glad it wasn't an issue for me. One thing I thought I would mention is that how you prepare you meats may help in how well they are tolerated. A slow cooker/crockpot will make very moist and tender meats and probably the best choice in the beginning. An instant pot is pretty good too and almost as tender as a crockpot. When it comes to chicken, you might find it easier to eat the dark meat if it has been roasted in the oven or grilled as it tends to be more tender. As far as veggies go, try to pick less fibrous ones in the beginning. Or save the fibrous veggies for in between meals as a snack so you can concentrate on your protein at your main meal.

Soft food is really any food that is naturally soft or can be cooked until the texture is soft. Ground meats and flaky fish are naturally soft. Regular beef, pork and poultry should be slow cooked. Veggies should be fully cooked; think canned green bean texture vs. fresh. :( So fajitas can certainly be on the menu, but be careful as some people cannot handle the same level of spicy as pre-op.
As a side note, I had the bypass and eggs were recommended in my program from puree stage on. Yet another example of the differences in programs. It's disheartening that something as simple as basic nutritional advice for WLS cannot be standardized.

I did cottage cheese and moist scrambled eggs and string cheese, sugar free pudding, sugar free jello. As for meat everyone varies on what they can tolerate. I can do chicken but roast beef is a big NO!! Tried it and it came back up almost as soon as I ate it. I am thinking it had to much fat.

I did cottage cheese and moist scrambled eggs and string cheese, sugar free pudding, sugar free jello. As for meat everyone varies on what they can tolerate. I can do chicken but roast beef is a big NO!! Tried it and it came back up almost as soon as I ate it. I am thinking it had to much fat.
I had problems with roast beef for several months post. No throwing up but severe cramping to the point of tears and feeling like I was going to throw up.

Back