• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Spasms after surgery

lynnm6978

I just had my surgery done 03/16/21. I had the gastric sleeve. Since then i have been having horrible spasms/cramping underneath my breast/diaphragm. They are sharp and go all the way across and even into my back. Has anyone else experienced this. I have read online else where this isn’t common for everyone but does happen. It’s not supposed to last forever a couple week maybe. My surgeon did give me a medication to help and it has eased them from sever to more mild. But i am still experiencing them especially when i eat. Any advice?

I still refill my prescrption for omeprazole. There may be other reasons for nausea and vomiting, but my doctor doesn't see any. So I just take anti-nausea as needed. I prefer it to that couch-sagging pervasive nausea. Nothing else works. Are you taking ondansetron?

I'm 14 years post-op but I've never had a long stretch of time without it. I think it's actually a known side effect. I just accept it and treat it. Being obese was a death sentence but RYGB saved my life.

Also, stabbing pain is usually operative gas trying to escape your body. It literally has to seep out through your skin. So post-op pain is usually sharp and sudden.

Massaging your belly below your sternum can help break it up. And moving your body, toe-touching, sitting in a hard chair and staightening up as high as you can may help. Laying down is the worst thing you can do.

My surgeon has me on protonix for the reflux. I was talking to a neighbor who had RYBG about 16 years ago and she said she had the same kind of pains and they were muscle spasms from the surgery. She says they do go away eventually. I guess this is just something i will have to endure until it subsides.

Back