• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery anniversary!

3momchaos

I think it was pretty cool that my surgery was 2 days after my birthday because I can celebrate a new year and my progress together. I would have never imagined that after just one year I’d be where I am now. The weight loss has been far more rapid than I expected, which is great, but not without a few drawbacks.
My journey is unique and should not be compared to others because we are all on our own path.
I’ve documented my monthly weight loss on the Baritastic app, so I can go back and see where I was. Another thing I like to consider is once I’ve gotten to a “low weight”, I don't want to go 10lbs higher than that. So when I hit 250, I didn’t want to go to 260 again, and so on. Doing this helped me mentally to cushion my weight range but also gives me a limit.
My loss per month has been this:
Starting weight with bariatric center: 297 BMI: 42.6
Surgery date weight: 280 BMI: 40.2
Pre op Jan 2020-Oct 2020: 17lbs
Month 1: 33lbs-I had my gallbladder out at the same time as bypass and my dr attributes my quick loss during the first month to that
Month 2: 14lbs
Month 3: 12lbs
Month 4: 6lbs
Month 5: 10lbs
Month 6: 9lbs
Month 7: 7lbs
Month 8: 6lbs
Month 9: 5lbs
Month 10: 3lbs
Month 11: 1lb
For a total weight loss from my first weigh in 123lbs and from surgery 106lbs and current BMI 25! I didn’t have preop body measurements, so I can only go by clothing size changes. I started out wearing 22 pants and XXL tops. Now I’m wearing 12/14 or medium pants, and usually medium tops, sometimes large depending on the brand. My wedding ring was recently resized from a 10 to 7.75.
I had a weight range loss goal of 180-190lbs which I’ve surpassed. I do not expect to lose much more until I have skin removal surgery, which I don’t have planned, but even then I don’t anticipate losing more than 5lbs from that.
The drawbacks I mentioned earlier are that my hormones went to totally crazy, and messed up my menstrual cycles. This could also be in part to my thyroid disease, so 2 things working against me. I ended up having an ablation in July which has stopped my cycle, so I’m grateful for that. Another drawback is the skin! I was expecting the droopy skin on my abdomen (I also had twins so there’s just a lot of skin from that) and arms, but the skin on my butt is what gives me the most trouble. I was planning on just having a tummy tuck, but I’m afraid I’m going to need a full body lift to remove the excess skin from my butt. It’s hard to get comfortable sitting or sleeping on my back because the skin folds over itself. I wish insurance would realize that this is causing an issue for my hips and lower spine but no.
All in all it’s been worth everything. I would do it again in a heartbeat, and would encourage anyone who’s willing to be mentally committed to the process to look into this.
I also want to say that I don’t know if I’d have been as successful thus far without this group. Y’all have been an amazing support, and I appreciate all of you. This journey is so much of a mental commitment, and without this community I know I would have struggled.

Happy Anniversary! You probably don't know this, but you were the first person to respond to my first post, so you automatically earned a soft spot in my heart lol and I've really followed your journey. I always admired how prepared you were before surgery and how tough you were/are during the struggles. All that record keeping and focus is the reason you have been so successful. You should be so proud of yourself. I'm proud of you, too for what it's worth!

You all know how to make a lady feel special! I saw my NP this morning. She’s very impressed with my progress. Accord to her my ideal weight is 169, and this morning I weighed in at 173, so she said I’m fine to stop losing if I’m still trying, which I’m not. Anyways, all my vitamins are great, she’s not worried about the E vitamin that’s one off. She suggested I start exercise, but I don’t wanna LOL I think park of my November challenge will be deliberate movement.

You all know how to make a lady feel special! I saw my NP this morning. She’s very impressed with my progress. Accord to her my ideal weight is 169, and this morning I weighed in at 173, so she said I’m fine to stop losing if I’m still trying, which I’m not. Anyways, all my vitamins are great, she’s not worried about the E vitamin that’s one off. She suggested I start exercise, but I don’t wanna LOL I think park of my November challenge will be deliberate movement.
I too really have struggled with weight & movement once cooler/cold weather is here. I think November will be the perfect test of the new "us" to resist the biological urge to insulate with fats & carbs, and increase our motion activities. You are a real motivating force here, and it'll be fun for us all to share our fall & early winter successes and cheer on each other if we struggle a bit. It's so good to know you. ❤❤ :)

Such an inspiration you are! Happy Anniversary! I'm a little late to the party but I've been applauding your achievements from my little corner very loudly!

I have admired your positive outlook and perspective from the day I joined this group. It is no surprise to me to see that you have done so well on your own journey, and helped so many others along theirs.

You are good people. Just that simple. Congratulations on a job very well done! There is no doubt in my mind that you will be one of the most successful long-term "losers" of all! To us you will always be a winner though! :p

I think it was pretty cool that my surgery was 2 days after my birthday because I can celebrate a new year and my progress together. I would have never imagined that after just one year I’d be where I am now. The weight loss has been far more rapid than I expected, which is great, but not without a few drawbacks.
My journey is unique and should not be compared to others because we are all on our own path.
I’ve documented my monthly weight loss on the Baritastic app, so I can go back and see where I was. Another thing I like to consider is once I’ve gotten to a “low weight”, I don't want to go 10lbs higher than that. So when I hit 250, I didn’t want to go to 260 again, and so on. Doing this helped me mentally to cushion my weight range but also gives me a limit.
My loss per month has been this:
Starting weight with bariatric center: 297 BMI: 42.6
Surgery date weight: 280 BMI: 40.2
Pre op Jan 2020-Oct 2020: 17lbs
Month 1: 33lbs-I had my gallbladder out at the same time as bypass and my dr attributes my quick loss during the first month to that
Month 2: 14lbs
Month 3: 12lbs
Month 4: 6lbs
Month 5: 10lbs
Month 6: 9lbs
Month 7: 7lbs
Month 8: 6lbs
Month 9: 5lbs
Month 10: 3lbs
Month 11: 1lb
For a total weight loss from my first weigh in 123lbs and from surgery 106lbs and current BMI 25! I didn’t have preop body measurements, so I can only go by clothing size changes. I started out wearing 22 pants and XXL tops. Now I’m wearing 12/14 or medium pants, and usually medium tops, sometimes large depending on the brand. My wedding ring was recently resized from a 10 to 7.75.
I had a weight range loss goal of 180-190lbs which I’ve surpassed. I do not expect to lose much more until I have skin removal surgery, which I don’t have planned, but even then I don’t anticipate losing more than 5lbs from that.
The drawbacks I mentioned earlier are that my hormones went to totally crazy, and messed up my menstrual cycles. This could also be in part to my thyroid disease, so 2 things working against me. I ended up having an ablation in July which has stopped my cycle, so I’m grateful for that. Another drawback is the skin! I was expecting the droopy skin on my abdomen (I also had twins so there’s just a lot of skin from that) and arms, but the skin on my butt is what gives me the most trouble. I was planning on just having a tummy tuck, but I’m afraid I’m going to need a full body lift to remove the excess skin from my butt. It’s hard to get comfortable sitting or sleeping on my back because the skin folds over itself. I wish insurance would realize that this is causing an issue for my hips and lower spine but no.
All in all it’s been worth everything. I would do it again in a heartbeat, and would encourage anyone who’s willing to be mentally committed to the process to look into this.
I also want to say that I don’t know if I’d have been as successful thus far without this group. Y’all have been an amazing support, and I appreciate all of you. This journey is so much of a mental commitment, and without this community I know I would have struggled.
If you posted this on your anniversary of 10.26 and that's 2 days after your birthday then we have the same birthday . 10.24 . Surgery 10.27
Happy Belated birthday and congratulations on your on 1 year anniversary. Your numbers are AMAZING as well as encouraging.

Back