• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Truth or Not about Gastric Bypass?

Marty G

I was watching a video last night about a gentleman recovering from VSG surgery. He mentioned that because they remove the portion of the stomach in a VSG where the "hunger switch" is located, he is never hungry. I know this is often true as I have friends who have had a VSG with the same results. However, he also said, and this is the part I am questioning, that in a RNYGB your hunger remains the same (relatively speaking). I know the basic mechanics of both surgery and know in a RNYGB they leave the rest of the stomach in place after they separate the pouch. My question is; do hunger cravings remain the same after Gastric Bypass as this gentleman claims. I have never heard this before.

Yes I also know that after time, many of the pre-surgery cravings can return, but from what I have read, that is true of any weight loss surgery.

I was watching a video last night about a gentleman recovering from VSG surgery. He mentioned that because they remove the portion of the stomach in a VSG where the "hunger switch" is located, he is never hungry. I know this is often true as I have friends who have had a VSG with the same results. However, he also said, and this is the part I am questioning, that in a RNYGB your hunger remains the same (relatively speaking). I know the basic mechanics of both surgery and know in a RNYGB they leave the rest of the stomach in place after they separate the pouch. My question is; do hunger cravings remain the same after Gastric Bypass as this gentleman claims. I have never heard this before.

Yes I also know that after time, many of the pre-surgery cravings can return, but from what I have read, that is true of any weight loss surgery.
I do not agree with that.. I have had the RNY bypass about 4 mths ago and I still have no real hunger or cravings.. From what I have read a lot have head hunger or head cravings... I have but if you stop and think about it you don't really want anything, your boredom eating.... Slipping back into old habits.....

Yes this doesn't sound accurate to me either. I think if that were the case RNY would not have the documented results it does. Not dissing on the VSG, I have a couple of friends who have had it done and seem to be doing great. Anyway, I was curious if anyone else had heard that.

I had the RNYGB eleven days ago. I'm on full liguid diet for two to four weeks then four weeks on soft it is eight weeks before transition to eating real food in program I'm in they call it stage five. So the first eight weeks after surgery is probably when the biggest weight loss will occur. Always being prepared is very helpful. It program I'm in at the support group meetings we are told that every person is different and after time the food cravings do return. We still have to do the work and eat the right foods etc. It has helped me a lot knowing that just because I had the surgery is not the fix all. It's the best decision I made for myself I no longer take any diabetic meds and my blood glucose readings are very stable now.

You will eventually get hungry. I am 17 years post op (gastric bypass), planning to go in for revision, and believe me, I get hungry.

You will eventually get hungry. I am 17 years post op (gastric bypass), planning to go in for revision, and believe me, I get hungry.

jpat - I'm just over 2 months in from surgery, some solid foods but still pretty restrictive diet. At this early stage, I'm never hungry. My question is, when did you begin to notice hunger again? I want to be prepared for when when that sneaks up on me.

As for cravings, they're still there for me, I just can't and don't indulge in them. I was walking into UPS yesterday and there's a Five Guys in the plaza, the smell was intoxicating! I knew from the start that surgery wouldn't eliminate cravings, those don't come from my belly, they haunt me from upstairs. ;)

Back