• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Trying to understand the differences

davisathens

Hello. I had a conversion from VSG to RNY on 2/8/22. Things are so different... I can't eat 2 eggs scrambled but I just ate 4 chicken strips (not really big, but bigger than chicken nuggets). Things that did not upset my gut when I had VSG are now a problem post RNY. For example, I cannot eat Cottage Cheese anymore. Pain, N/V, dumping... it's crazy! I don't seem to have a problem with most cooked proteins, i.e., the chicken fingers mentioned above, or steak... but soup (not broth, but soup... meat/veggies in a broth) will take me out for hours with gastric pain. I'm only 6 weeks out so I know things can/will change but I never imagined I'd have to learn about food all over again.

I also had a conversion from sleeve to RNY. The changes are just part of the process, but it should balance back out. I personally enjoy the ability to eat more well-rounded with the RNY. There are still some random times when my stomach just decides that it doesn't like something, even if I had the exact same thing last week. I don't recall specifically when it started to balance out, but six weeks is definitely still early in the process.

My plan is 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks pureed, 2 weeks soft foods and then slowing introduce solids/normal foods. You might just need more time, take the transition slower. Listen to your body.
PS: I have surgery next week so I am only speaking of what I learned in my classes and not by experience. But, it sounds like solid advice.
Good luck.

Wow, that is interesting. One would think that the chicken not the eggs would cause a problem. But I wonder if it has to do with richness of the food? Hopefully as you get further out you will be able to handle the problematic foods that you are experiencing. Good luck!

Hello. I had a conversion from VSG to RNY on 2/8/22.
I am curious why you had revision surgery. I am waiting to get VSG surgery and I’m concerned about needing a conversion down the road. Is this something to do with rare or unique circumstances? I’m just learning here. I’ve read quite a few posts about people getting revision surgery, but they don’t explain why.

I am curious why you had revision surgery. I am waiting to get VSG surgery and I’m concerned about needing a conversion down the road. Is this something to do with rare or unique circumstances? I’m just learning here. I’ve read quite a few posts about people getting revision surgery, but they don’t explain why.
I read a lot of times it is due to acid/GERD issues caused by the sleeve. Also, for additional weight loss for people who need to loose more weight or who had a regain after sleeve.

I also had a revision, and it was due to GERD. The reflux can cause changes in your esophagus, which can lead to a pre-cancerous condition of Barrett's Esophagus, which can turn to esophageal cancer. Because I had had the sleeve, I did not have the anatomy to do a simpler surgery, and so conversion to RNY was the option. I have a shorter bypass than I would if I had originally had that for weight loss.

Did they give you a post op diet? I know you don't' necessarily need to lose weight but a large reason for a post op diet is to allow yourself to heal. You still have cuts inside of you that need time to mend.

There were many, many foods that I could not stomach or even stand the smell of during the first few months after my bypass. As time went on, I was able to return to a more normal (for me) diet.

Did they give you a post op diet? I know you don't' necessarily need to lose weight but a large reason for a post op diet is to allow yourself to heal. You still have cuts inside of you that need time to mend.

There were many, many foods that I could not stomach or even stand the smell of during the first few months after my bypass. As time went on, I was able to return to a more normal (for me) diet.
I also am having surgery for barrettes syndrome so not sure where I belong in this family. I don't want to hurt feelings or talk about anything that would hamper anyone's progress. I have learned that if I was given this pre surgical diet years ago, it would have helped by Gerd. It might have been good enough to stop the Gerd from turning into barrettes.

I also am having surgery for barrettes syndrome so not sure where I belong in this family. I don't want to hurt feelings or talk about anything that would hamper anyone's progress. I have learned that if I was given this pre surgical diet years ago, it would have helped by Gerd. It might have been good enough to stop the Gerd from turning into barrettes.
Don't worry about the rest of us. This group is for you to share your struggles and successes and for us to offer any support we can. Please feel free to share whatever's on your mind.

Thank you surgery is Tuesday very scared. I actually loved the proti diet. I used the hot chocolate in my caffeine free coffee and the chocolate 32grm meal replacement. I probably will use this as a backup for extra protein. But I learned better habits. I used to eat once a day. I set my Alexa to remind me to eat . Good luck with your goals. You can overcome anything if you have the confidence.

Back