• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Uncomfortable

Lily27

I'm 6 weeks post op now and feeling generally uncomfortable, though it's hard to describe. I feel dragged out and tired though I'm still able to motivate myself to walk or swim every day. I'm starting to feel clues that I'm full and since surgery I can say that I've felt hungry in my stomach 2 times. It feels very strange to not be hungry but feel wiped out. I guess what feels most uncomfortable is that I don't understand any of the cues from my stomach anymore. My body feels kinda alien in that way and also in the way that my body has changed very rapidly. I know it's an adjustment period and I just need to wait it out and let my mind catch up with my body. I need to just be ok with being uncomfortable.

Wow, I am in my 4 week. I felt just like that when I was in the liquid phase, it did not feel like that, and you described it correctly, sometimes at work, I forgot altogether about what I went through and even forgot to drink water, which I used to love, now I do not know when I am full or hungry, but when I eat I notice I feel a pressure on my chest and then stop, like the last night my wife made a delicious soft chicken with the nice season, I have not tried food like that in 2 months and it feel wonderful, I have a small portion of the course, with some pure beans and smash green peas, and I want to feel the feeling of satisfaction that I used to feel when I ate something delicious, but my body reacts differently. I was short on my water, so I started drinking water after an hour, to at least make my 64 oz quota, but I feel strange...you hit right on the head. I hope it gets better someday.

It is a big adjustment. To go from being hungry all the time, to not feeling hunger at all is strange. And that worn down feeling from so few calories and healing is rough.

Set a schedule for meals and keep water with you always. I was told too eat 5-6 small meals a day in the beginning. So, I ate every 3 hours, which worked for me. I am a planner so, I had the meals/snacks planned out and basically ready to go. If I couldn't finish a meal or thought I wasn't getting enough nutrients, I'd be getting more in a few hours.

Now that I can feel hungry, it still works. If I feel like I didn't get enough or as much as I wanted, no biggie .. I'll be eating again in a few hours. So, I'm not over full and I'm not so hungry I'm going to make bad decisions.

Back