• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamins!

Kcuster83

My bariatric team gave out samples of (Bariatric advantage) chewable and liquid vitamins to try, to be prepared for the stage after surgery when you cannot take capsules. They are the MOST DISGUSTING THING EVER. The texture, the initial taste, the smell and the after taste. I literally had to spit some out and others I gagged and choked the entire time until it was gone. I have tried the soft chews and the chewable capsules but have not tried the liquid. I am worried about being able to do this after surgery with an already sensitive stomach! I bought some additional samples of "Celebrate" and they are just as bad. Does anyone know of any brands that are better? And, Why don't they make a liquid like cough medicine where you can just do a tablespoon or 2 and call it a day! UHG!

This is my vitamin of choice. I’ve had good levels for all my blood work so far, and they’re once a day. However, I was instructed not to start vitamins until 1 month post op. You do what your team says about starting though.
Bariatric Choice Once Daily Bariatric Multivitamin Capsule with 45 mg of Iron (90ct) Amazon.com
My instructions direct to start chewable or liquid multivitamin and calcium 3 days POST-OP. Cannot start using capsules until I am in the solid food phase. The chewables are unbareable tho, that is my problem.

There are liquid vitamins out there but I haven't used them. Do a search and see what you can find, but you are still dealing with taste so I don't know if that will help. There's also a vitamin patch that Thrive makes but I haven't tried that either. For more info on that click here.
I have only found liquid vitamins that you mix a power with water and have it has an actual drink (8 oz), not just 1 spoon full. My idea behind a liquid that you just take like cough syrup is to just get it swallowed and over with ASAP. haha I asked my DR and the nutritionalist on my team and neither of them know of a cough syrup like vitamin. I never heard of the patches but will look into them and see what the professional say! Thanks. I just can't believe this day in age that they can't figure out a better chewable.

I was told Flinstones chewables were fine for the 1st month. They tasted fine, sorta like Sweetarts. After that I switched to Kroger's brand multivitamin like a generic Centrum which I swallow daily. I also take Kroger's Calcium Citrate twice daily, Vit D3 & Vit C, their brand of Vit B12 every other day, prescription Iron every other day with Vit C, prescription Vit D2 50,000 units weekly. No bariatric vitamins, no chewables after the 1st month. Just relatively cheap, buy 1 get 1 free Kroger's vitamins & supplements.

My 6 month bloodwork levels came back fine. So imho no need for expensive vitamins for me, at least.

Karen, We were specifically told no Flinstones. haha I didn't ask why, I usually have just taken store brand gummy 1 a days. Which I was also told will not work after surgery. I assume they just base everything on an average and maybe most people need the extra boost of the bariatric vitamins. I deal isn't even the cost of them, if I need them than so be it. But my goodness they are so disgusting! I just want to be sure I get all of my required vitamins and minerals so I am healthy and don't look sickly.

Karen, We were specifically told no Flinstones. haha I didn't ask why, I usually have just taken store brand gummy 1 a days. Which I was also told will not work after surgery. I assume they just base everything on an average and maybe most people need the extra boost of the bariatric vitamins. I deal isn't even the cost of them, if I need them than so be it. But my goodness they are so disgusting! I just want to be sure I get all of my required vitamins and minerals so I am healthy and don't look sickly.

Isn't it so interesting how different programs have such different requirements? I only took the Flintstones (well, Wal-Mart generic children's chewable) that 1 st month before "graduating" to grown-up multivitamins. Idk why the differences are there, but again, I don't want to knock bariatric supplements. I just found that what I use is much more affordable, easy to swallow, and provide the same good results. Good luck with whatever you "chews!" ;)

Isn't it so interesting how different programs have such different requirements? I only took the Flintstones (well, Wal-Mart generic children's chewable) that 1 st month before "graduating" to grown-up multivitamins. Idk why the differences are there, but again, I don't want to knock bariatric supplements. I just found that what I use is much more affordable, easy to swallow, and provide the same good results. Good luck with whatever you "chews!" ;)
They need to find a way to make it better, 1 a day gummies are delicious! I can't believe these bariatric companies can't do better.

Read labels.

Flintstones and Centrum contain near-identical RDA percentages.

Gummy vitamins seem dangerous to me.

I have used chewable high potency vitamins from the start. I break them into tiny pieces and swallow.

Most nutritional absorption happens AFTER they pass through the stomach, in the duodenum and intestinal tract.

I take supplements 4 times a day, because minerals need two hours to absorb, and iron and calcium cancel each other out.

Some supplements should be taken with food; others, on an empty stomach. Some can be mashed, some must be taken whole.

This is an essential conversation you should have with your nutritionist, NOT your surgeon. You'd never ask your nutritionist to perform surgery on you. Don't ask your surgeon to monitor your nutritional levels.

You've altered your digestive process drastically. Make sure you pay equal attention to what you ask your body to absorb.

Attachments

• 20190528_150100.jpg
    20190528_150100.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210124_120216.jpg
    20210124_120216.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 78
My doctor suggested Bari Melts, which are chewable. They actually taste fairly good and they melt away fast. They are about $60 a month plus or minus. Anyway, they work well for me and I can handle the taste. I have tried others and they make me gag! I hate the taste of vitamins and if they have that vitamin smell to them it’s over!

The nutritionist is the one who said no flinstones or 1 a days. Maybe the idea is not to have to take so many a day? That is a lot of pills you have there, I feel like I would be taking pills all day long.
Well, I can't really speak to your nutritionist's advice, but everyone makes mistakes.

I take 500mg of calcium 3x a day. We need 1500mg a day, but the body can only absorb 500mg at a time.

My dosages are all necessary and developed by doctors and nutritionists in a 7-year study I was drafted into at the University of Washington during my first appointment.

I'm 70 and super-healthy. I hike big mountains and move all my own furniture. I have more energy and muscle definition than people 30 years younger. It always surprises me. But I'm a farmgirl, too, raised to do chores before breakfast, to herd cows and chickens. If I didn't do my part, my family of 10 suffered.

You can't get the vitamins and minerals you need from food. I supplement safely, following medical guidelines.

I take my supplements four times a day. I eat a meal three times a day, and take a bedtime dose of other supplements. These are prescribed or recommended by expert medical personnel. There's nothing to it. Once a month I sort my pills so i don't have to take lids off and on four times a day.

It's no more a hardship than peeing multiple times a day. Or eating. Or laughing.

I can't understand why any nutritionist would bar certain brands. The only important thing to know is what's in the % of RDA. I read the label on Flintstones when I was looking for a good chewable. I was surprised how complete they were.

The thing is, when someone feels qualified to tell you what to do, demand to know why. Otherwise, it's not informed consent.

My bariatric team gave out samples of (Bariatric advantage) chewable and liquid vitamins to try, to be prepared for the stage after surgery when you cannot take capsules. They are the MOST DISGUSTING THING EVER. The texture, the initial taste, the smell and the after taste. I literally had to spit some out and others I gagged and choked the entire time until it was gone. I have tried the soft chews and the chewable capsules but have not tried the liquid. I am worried about being able to do this after surgery with an already sensitive stomach! I bought some additional samples of "Celebrate" and they are just as bad. Does anyone know of any brands that are better? And, Why don't they make a liquid like cough medicine where you can just do a tablespoon or 2 and call it a day! UHG!
Try Bari Melts. They taste much better to me but they also melt quickly. I was told by my team that only specifically bariatric vitamins are an option. No Flintstones or any other vitamins that are made for “regular” people. We require different doses and formulations, otherwise you can become deficient.i don’t want to advise against your doctor’s orders, but I did quite extensive vitamin research to find good products for myself and literally every source I’ve ever red was consistently saying the same thing. I would really check this information. I battled with vitamin deficiency for many years and I can tell you that it’s not easy to fix and can take immediate, serious effect on your body. I lost my hair, got rashes that permanently scarred my body, damaged my teeth and it even affected my vision.

I have only found liquid vitamins that you mix a power with water and have it has an actual drink (8 oz), not just 1 spoon full. My idea behind a liquid that you just take like cough syrup is to just get it swallowed and over with ASAP. haha I asked my DR and the nutritionalist on my team and neither of them know of a cough syrup like vitamin. I never heard of the patches but will look into them and see what the professional say! Thanks. I just can't believe this day in age that they can't figure out a better chewable.

Here's a couple I found doing a google search. I have no idea how good they are nor am I endorsing them. Just wanted you to know that there are liquid vitamins that you take by the tablespoon. There might be more out there, I stopped at two because I just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining it. ;) Hope this helps.

I was told by my team that only specifically bariatric vitamins are an option. No Flintstones or any other vitamins that are made for “regular” people. We require different doses and formulations, otherwise you can become deficient.

I'm 14 years post-op.

I was in a 7-year University study.

I was extensively physically tested twice a year, questioned like they were the FBI.

Filled out reams of paper questionnaires.

Constantly monitored by medical professionals.

My results were published in the national society's official report, submitted to FDA.

Done hundreds of hours of research in medical studies.

My health is perfect. Others in my age range suffer numerous diseases.

I hike 5,000-foot peaks in the wilderness and stay in the backwoods a week at a time, carrying a 70-lb. Backpack.

I lost some hair post-op, but it grew back. Common with ANY surgery.

And yet... I would never tell anyone else to do what I do. Each person has a unique physiology. Listen to your doc and nutritionist. Study post-op lab results.

I buy my vitamins and minerals over the counter at Rite-Aid and Trader Joe's, online and anywhere else, after I READ THE LABEL.

Sorry you've had a bad time physically, but how do you know it's related to surgery, rather than aging or environment?

Hundreds of thousands of people have had bariatric surgery over the last 40 years, and technique has advanced with the numbers.

I think it would be presumptuous of me--or anyone--to predict an outcome based on my experience.

But my results are pretty typical. That's why motivated people go through all this.

I have lots of pictures on my profile, mostly of the food I eat while staying healthy. Feel free to have a look.

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_204624_199.jpg
    IMG_20210612_204624_199.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20200611-114605.jpg
    Screenshot_20200611-114605.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20200611-114511.jpg
    Screenshot_20200611-114511.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 67
  • P1010030.JPG
    P1010030.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 75
Here's a couple I found doing a google search. I have no idea how good they are nor am I endorsing them. Just wanted you to know that there are liquid vitamins that you take by the tablespoon. There might be more out there, I stopped at two because I just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining it. ;) Hope this helps.

I did find this first brand you mentioned too but they have been "out of stock" since last summer when I started looking into it. I don't know if it is just a current issue or if they are just discontinued.

It also might be worth asking your preferred pharmacist if they know of any liquid vitamins and take those suggestions to your dietitian.
Good idea, worth a shot. I talked with my nutritionist yesterday and explained that I cannot stomach any of the ones I tried so far. She gave me a few suggestions to try and then said to get back to her if I don't find anything and they would help me figure it out. I am hopeful!

Back