• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Chart

Kayleigh

I’ve been looking for a weight chart on-line and have found that many of them are different. My surgery center set a goal weight of 114 pounds for me, but I feel that’s too low.

gastric bypass surgery date: July 20th
Starting weight: 238
As of today, I’ve lost 70 pounds
Height: 5’3”

My goal weight that I communicated to my surgery center was 135 pounds, but changed it today to 130 pounds.

How did you decide on a goal weight? Are there website recommendations for an accurate chart?

I don't know if this is good or bad, but for me I found it more helpful to have mini goal weights, especially since I had so much to lose . My first mini goal was to lose 100 lbs (achieved it), my second mini goal is to reach wonderland (not quite there yet), my third mini goal is to reach 170. I haven't made a final goal yet because I really wanted to see how I felt when I got there. But I am just under 5' 3" and I know for me 114 sounds unrealistic because I was never that thin in my teens. More like 130-135 probably would be my end goal. While I don't want to sell myself short on what I can achieve, I also don't want to feel my goal in unrealistic. I can't speak for you but that is just my way of thinking. I found this weight chart put out by NIH. Weight Chart

Calculate Your Expected Weight Loss From Gastric Bypass (obesitycoverage.com)
There is an actual calculator if you scroll down the page.

I was told by my program that the average is 70% of your excess body weight, so I used that to make a goal. Here's an easy example: if you were/are 100lbs overweight, you can expect to lose 70lbs. Of course, an average is just that, an average. Many will lose more and many will lose less. Of course, once you've had the surgery, your goals can and do change.

I don't know if this is good or bad, but for me I found it more helpful to have mini goal weights, especially since I had so much to lose . My first mini goal was to lose 100 lbs (achieved it), my second mini goal is to reach wonderland (not quite there yet), my third mini goal is to reach 170. I haven't made a final goal yet because I really wanted to see how I felt when I got there. But I am just under 5' 3" and I know for me 114 sounds unrealistic because I was never that thin in my teens. More like 130-135 probably would be my end goal. While I don't want to sell myself short on what I can achieve, I also don't want to feel my goal in unrealistic. I can't speak for you but that is just my way of thinking. I found this weight chart put out by NIH. Weight Chart
Judy, I’m using an app called Baritastic that I’m getting through my surgery center. They can see my weight loss progress and asked that I weigh myself once per week. I’ve been doing that on Saturday mornings. This app also has milestones (mini goals) for me to aches rather than focuses on one huge goal, which would have seen overwhelming at first. I have 4 more milestones until I reach 130 pounds. I was 114 pounds in high school and ran track and played volleyball. My weight spiraled out of control when I was put on antidepressants in college and wasn’t carefully monitored. Thank you for the weight chart website.

Calculate Your Expected Weight Loss From Gastric Bypass (obesitycoverage.com)
There is an actual calculator if you scroll down the page.

I was told by my program that the average is 70% of your excess body weight, so I used that to make a goal. Here's an easy example: if you were/are 100lbs overweight, you can expect to lose 70lbs. Of course, an average is just that, an average. Many will lose more and many will lose less. Of course, once you've had the surgery, your goals can and do change.
Missy, thanks for the website suggestion. I plugged in my numbers and this is what it said:
GASTRIC BYPASS
  • 80% of patients reach at least 167 lbs 18 months after surgery.
  • 50% of patients reach at least 152 lbs 18 months after surgery.
  • 20% of patients reach 137 lbs 18 months after surgery.
Looks like my weight loss is tracking faster than anticipated. It has my goal weight at 137, which I’m striving for 130 pounds.

I set a goal of 100 pound loss at my surgical weight. My surgeon would like to see me closer to 115 pound loss based on BMI. I’m not stressing about those 15 pounds for a couple reasons. I am 5’9 with wide hips and rib cage, and the thinner I get the more gaunt I’m going to look. I plan on having skin removal surgery, so I know that will cause a loss as well. I might lose more than the 100 pounds, I’m almost halfway there now and it hasn’t been 3 months since my surgery yet, but I’m not worried about meeting my surgeons goal. 100 pound loss would put me at 26.6 BMI which is just in the overweight range. I’m fine with that.

I think it's funny that we all stress about the pounds SO much and yet, once you start looking at "average" numbers, mostly we're all doing pretty well. I think it's just habit to beat ourselves up over our weight. 3mom, I love your attitude on this because you are 100% correct. You will have improved your health so much with 100lb loss. Celebrate the successes, instead of searching for failures.

I set a goal of 100 pound loss at my surgical weight. My surgeon would like to see me closer to 115 pound loss based on BMI. I’m not stressing about those 15 pounds for a couple reasons. I am 5’9 with wide hips and rib cage, and the thinner I get the more gaunt I’m going to look. I plan on having skin removal surgery, so I know that will cause a loss as well. I might lose more than the 100 pounds, I’m almost halfway there now and it hasn’t been 3 months since my surgery yet, but I’m not worried about meeting my surgeons goal. 100 pound loss would put me at 26.6 BMI which is just in the overweight range. I’m fine with that.
The NIH website says my range is 114-137, so I think the 130 is a great goal weight for myself. I have a smaller waste and bigger hips. I feel that we have different body shapes and sizes and have to decide for ourselves what makes sense for an ideal goal weight. I was taken off from high blood pressure medicine and feel so much better having achieved a 70 pound loss.

Judy, I’m using an app called Baritastic that I’m getting through my surgery center. They can see my weight loss progress and asked that I weigh myself once per week. I’ve been doing that on Saturday mornings. This app also has milestones (mini goals) for me to aches rather than focuses on one huge goal, which would have seen overwhelming at first. I have 4 more milestones until I reach 130 pounds. I was 114 pounds in high school and ran track and played volleyball. My weight spiraled out of control when I was put on antidepressants in college and wasn’t carefully monitored. Thank you for the weight chart website.
I also use the Baritastic app, and I like it. You were much thinner than I was in high school so maybe that is why I just can't see myself that thin. I think I was between 130-140. BTW, I current take Paxil which is an antidepressant but I take it due to panic attacks. That is a weight gainer, so I totally get how meds can attribute to weight gain. Anyway, good luck reaching your goal - you can do it! :)

My surgical team put my weight loss goal between 146-176 I think. I originally had mine at 140. I have surpassed both of those wl goals. I'm 5'4 and weigh 128. My husband thinks I'm too skinny - I think I look better at 135. I have my 1 year doctors appointment 1/22 - so I guess we'll see what the doctor thinks.

My surgical team put my weight loss goal between 146-176 I think. I originally had mine at 140. I have surpassed both of those wl goals. I'm 5'4 and weigh 128. My husband thinks I'm too skinny - I think I look better at 135. I have my 1 year doctors appointment 1/22 - so I guess we'll see what the doctor thinks.
Congratulations Tracey on exceeding your weight loss goal. I’m 38 pounds from reaching mine. One day at a time! :)

this is a question I've been pondering for a while--how thin to I want to be? I'm 5'5" and carry my weight well, and although I remember looking good at 160 or so, I have a feeling that weight will not look the same at 56 as it did at 36. When I chatted with the NP on video, she mentioned that I wasn't frail (or something like that) to which I did not take offense. I think it's a real goal for some people to get as thin as possible, but I won't ever be petite and like being strong.

I guess I'll have to figure it out as I go along...I just don't see myself much lower than 160-170. Wonder if my body will agree.

Congratulations Tracey! Let us know what the doctor says. :)

this is a question I've been pondering for a while--how thin to I want to be? I'm 5'5" and carry my weight well, and although I remember looking good at 160 or so, I have a feeling that weight will not look the same at 56 as it did at 36. When I chatted with the NP on video, she mentioned that I wasn't frail (or something like that) to which I did not take offense. I think it's a real goal for some people to get as thin as possible, but I won't ever be petite and like being strong.

I guess I'll have to figure it out as I go along...I just don't see myself much lower than 160-170. Wonder if my body will agree.

I feel the say way, I am having trouble picturing myself down to where the charts say I should be but maybe when I get to 170-175 I might be gung ho to get there. Time will tell. For now I am just concentrating on getting to onderland!

I’ve been looking for a weight chart on-line and have found that many of them are different. My surgery center set a goal weight of 114 pounds for me, but I feel that’s too low.

gastric bypass surgery date: July 20th
Starting weight: 238
As of today, I’ve lost 70 pounds
Height: 5’3”

My goal weight that I communicated to my surgery center was 135 pounds, but changed it today to 130 pounds.

How did you decide on a goal weight? Are there website recommendations for an accurate chart?

I am 5’3” as well, and did weigh 114 for a nano second when I got married - I was much too thin and didn’t look healthy. In older pictures think I look the best (and happiest) at 130. So in my mind that’s my goal but I’m pre-op and haven’t been advised on a weight yet. If it helps, I’m built like an apple carrying most of my weight around my middle, and 40 yrs old.

When my youngest daughter Victoria - was in 2nd grade they were working on a "health project". Again, she was in 2nd grade. She had to come home and interview me and her dad.

The questions were like - whats your favorite healthy food to eat -whats your favorite sweet to eat. That was what the majority of the questions were like. The last couple of questions were about your body - what you like most/least and the last question was how would you describe your body shape.

There is A LOT of music played in my home - my husband and I are huge fans of ZZ Topp - Pink Floyd and bands of that type. Our favorite music group is Queen - hands down fighting words - YES I will physical eye roll my husband to oblivion if he disagreed to this - absolute favorite group. Toria asked me the body shape question - Queen was playing in the background - and I told Toria to ask her daddy what my body shape was. He was playing his "air guitar" like a pro and singing along to music. The song was - and I shit you not - Fat Bottomed Girls. He stopped singing when Toria asked him what my body shape was - and my husband sang this line as LOUDLY as humanly possible - "Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin world go round." Toria has heard this song since before she was born. The ONE body shape word she picked up on was................................. ROUND! Toria said "Yeah - daddy says your body shape is ROUND mom. So I put ROUND as your answer." I immediately dropped what I was doing when I heard this and laughed so hard I almost peed myself. I've been ROUND and proud since then.

My husband was literally rolling on the floor laughing so hard - he could barely get a breath in! He did tell me he was hoping she'd put fat bottomed girl as the answer. Well - life is cruel like that sweet husband o' mine - looks like neither of got what we wanted :D:D:D:D:D

Stick around folks - I'm here ALL week!!

I honestly didn't set a weight goal. I had told myself that if I got back to 150-60 I would ideal as that is what I was when I graduated high school. However I also said if I got into the 180s I would be content that- I am currently there.

I am the same height as you and those charts say I should be 125-130 to be healthy, however I know for a fact that if I do actually get that low I would look sickly. Those charts do not factor in actual body type and other life factors- excess skin has weight- either from the weight loss its self or from other things like having kids. Skin doesn't just go away.

Tracey, Your daughter got a crash course on learning about body shapes! :) I’m a huge fan of Queen and Pink Floyd too. I’ve always loved Queen’s “Fat Bottom Girls”, but not so much when I was at my heaviest and it was playing in a restaurant or bar. In a post Diane wrote that with her weight loss, she likes blending into a crowd. That’s how I feel.

I was thinking this morning about this post about an ideal weight of 130 pounds, which I would have not imagined possible before bariatric surgery. This feels so good because I struggled with my weight for many years and have tried just about every diet in the world. It almost feels like an incredible dream and I’m going to wake up soon.

I decided to focus on relative fat mass rather than weight. Body types can vary so much with regard to weight and most bariatric clinics and insurance companies still use BMI, which is a complete BS system with absolutely no scientific validity. However, there is a lot of research about the effects of body fat on the body, so I chose to look at that.

The weight goal that I usually list is just a guess of where I'll be percentage wise. If I was going my most of the weight charts out there, I'd have to get down to about 158 or something, which is 20lbs lighter than I was when I was in the Marine Corps and in the best shape of my life at age 20.

I'm currently at 220 lbs, and my relative fat mass is 25.11 - which is just above "average." My goal is to get below 19, which would put me in the "fitness" category, but I'll certainly be happy to be well within the "average" range and not the obese range.

Relative fat mass is easy to calculate based on height and waist circumference using this calculator: Relative Fat Mass (RFM) Calculator

Studies have shown this to be way more accurate than other weight charts, and even similar accuracy to a body scan. It matches almost exactly with my scale that tracks body fat, which also matched up very closely to the body scan I get when I visit the bariatric clinic, so I feel pretty confident about the numbers and basing my goals on that instead of weight charts, per se.

I may not even need to get into "onederland" and be in a good range for me, although I suspect to get to the "fitness" level, I will probably need to be under 200 for my body. Other people will be different, obviously.

Back