• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Chart

These weight charts are Bullshit with a capital b. I've been looking at them since I was a binging-purging-anorectic teen. They are inconsistent and shaming. They are a scarlet letter that focus lies and inaccuracies on perfectly healthy people.

The body acceptance movement helped address this crap. But people come in all shapes and sizes.

If you want to know if your weight is healthy, get a metabolic panel at least once a year. If you have highs and lows that could be better, fix them, calmly and at a safe pace.

I think about all the scrutiny I suffered as a teen that made me so self-conscious, I made my first suicide attempt at 17. I was a size 5, weighed 110 pounds, but jealous siblings used the supper table to point out flaws THAT WEREN'T THERE. In a family of 10, this was a gang-bang of the highest order.

I can't stand my family, even though I'm pushing 70. I never managed to get the upper hand but their abuse of me turned out to be a gift. When I see someone who's an object of scorn or ridicule, I smile warmly and engage them so they know they're accepted and equal.

I have never witnessed that behavior in any sibling. Over the years I have watched them get heavier and bitchier. Two of them have died of causes relating to weight and lifestyle. Only one of my surviving sibs is a sweet, supportive person. She's really special because even though she has a huge bottom, she's all about love. I'd be hiding out in my closet if I had her figure, but she's actually more average than my toxic self-image because none of those repressive labels enter her mind.

After I lost 115 pounds, a few of my sisters refused to acknowledge it. It was like I was a traitor. That was okay because a part of me wanted to make them jealous, as they had been when I was young and naturally thin.

But in subsequent years, it's become unimportant. I have no diseases, especially the diabetes that contributed to so many family deaths. More importantly, there's nothing I can't do. I spend my leisure time canoeing lakes and hiking mountains.

I rarely weigh myself, unless my waistband starts to pinch. I see my doctor regularly and by weight is always the same, within a few pounds. Best of all, I NEVER diet, and I LOVE food. Now, that wouldn't have been possible without WLS, but that was almost 14 years ago and I have no desire to gorge myself on food, allowing myself an unhealthy treat once in a while.

Don't sweat the charts. Embrace your shape and reward your body with clothes and activity. Inspire others. Your weight is perfect, at any number. Ups and downs come and go, but they do not define you.

If your primary is doing this, its time to get a new primary
I was obese the entire time I was with my last primary-16ish years, then she retired, and never did she once bring up my BMI. She talked about my blood test results, and when I brought up my weight we talked about it, but I was always a “healthy” and active obese person. My new primary didn’t either, but I also lead that appointment with the fact that’s I’d already started the process for weight loss surgery.

I was obese the entire time I was with my last primary-16ish years, then she retired, and never did she once bring up my BMI. She talked about my blood test results, and when I brought up my weight we talked about it, but I was always a “healthy” and active obese person. My new primary didn’t either, but I also lead that appointment with the fact that’s I’d already started the process for weight loss surgery.

This is kind of how my primary is, however I didnt tell her about the surgery until after the fact because I didn't think she would approve as she is very holistic in nature. We would have conversations about weight but she was never really worried because everything else pointed to be healthy....blood work ect. She was pretty focus on get other parts of life healthier before looking at weight, which I agree if we are not all around stable the weight will be a struggle.

This is kind of how my primary is, however I didnt tell her about the surgery until after the fact because I didn't think she would approve as she is very holistic in nature. We would have conversations about weight but she was never really worried because everything else pointed to be healthy....blood work ect. She was pretty focus on get other parts of life healthier before looking at weight, which I agree if we are not all around stable the weight will be a struggle.
I’m not sure how my old primary would have reacted, but my new one was all for it. My endocrinologist was a little hesitant because he’s more worried about the long lasting effects of vitamin deficiency. But I take my vitamins like I’m supposed to and follow the directions of my surgeon. I think he’ll be pleasantly surprised at my annual visit next month.

I’m not sure how my old primary would have reacted, but my new one was all for it. My endocrinologist was a little hesitant because he’s more worried about the long lasting effects of vitamin deficiency. But I take my vitamins like I’m supposed to and follow the directions of my surgeon. I think he’ll be pleasantly surprised at my annual visit next month.
My surgeon wanted my primary to sign off on the surgery before he would proceed. My primary did so without hesitation, and was happy that I was taking a positive step for my health. He had talked to me over the years about my weight and gave me things to do, and they all worked (temporarily). I just had a telemedicine checkup with him yesterday and he is thrilled at my progress! He also took me off one of my meds (Atorvastatin), so I am now down to one medication (Vascepa, also for cholesterol). I have been going to the same primary for over 20 years, and I guess I started to take for granted how much I appreciate him and his genuine concern for my health.

I decided to focus on relative fat mass rather than weight. Body types can vary so much with regard to weight and most bariatric clinics and insurance companies still use BMI, which is a complete BS system with absolutely no scientific validity. However, there is a lot of research about the effects of body fat on the body, so I chose to look at that.

The weight goal that I usually list is just a guess of where I'll be percentage wise. If I was going my most of the weight charts out there, I'd have to get down to about 158 or something, which is 20lbs lighter than I was when I was in the Marine Corps and in the best shape of my life at age 20.

I'm currently at 220 lbs, and my relative fat mass is 25.11 - which is just above "average." My goal is to get below 19, which would put me in the "fitness" category, but I'll certainly be happy to be well within the "average" range and not the obese range.

Relative fat mass is easy to calculate based on height and waist circumference using this calculator: Relative Fat Mass (RFM) Calculator

Studies have shown this to be way more accurate than other weight charts, and even similar accuracy to a body scan. It matches almost exactly with my scale that tracks body fat, which also matched up very closely to the body scan I get when I visit the bariatric clinic, so I feel pretty confident about the numbers and basing my goals on that instead of weight charts, per se.

I may not even need to get into "onederland" and be in a good range for me, although I suspect to get to the "fitness" level, I will probably need to be under 200 for my body. Other people will be different, obviously.
I haven’t been measuring myself, but I’ve dropped several sizes so that reassuring to me. My surgery center suggested that I weigh myself weekly and record my weight in my Baritastic Ap, which I’ve been doing. Thank you for the website suggestion. It also takes into account body measurements.

Back