• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight ReGain and Depression

Hello everyone. My name is Kelsey but I go by Luna. I am new here, and I came here to really seek help and support from a community who understands me. I had my surgery 11/28/2017 and I was 450 at the time. I got down to 170, and I was the happiest and healthiest ever in my life. Unfortunately since then I have been diagnosed with a bipolar disorder snd major depressive disorder and I’ve been having a hard time with my weight.

I guess I’m just really looking for someone or a group of people to talk to daily or weekly and do check ins and motivations and stuff, because I just get so down. I have a cruise coming up for my 5th year wedding anniversary in April and I read the fine print of one of the excursions we purchased and the max weight allowed is 250. I am sitting at 267 right now and it broke my heart, I know with hard work and dedication I can re-lose this, I just think I need some supportive friends who understand and have been there.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Luna! Welcome to the group. First, let me say congrats on your truly impressive weight loss. This group understands that even with the surgery, its HARD to get that much weight off.

I know your mental health diagnosis is considered chemical and treated with meds. However, I hope you are also seeing a therapist, since so many people who've been overweight use food as a way to self medicate. And unlike alcohol, tobacco or drugs, there is no "quitting" food.

Congrats on your upcoming anniversary. I know its the worst feeling when you want to do something fun and there is a weight limit that you're over. I'm sorry it happened to you. But, you can absolutely get some of the weight off. You've done it before. Don't beat yourself up. You've lost a lot of weight AND you've kept a substantial amount of it off. We tend to go negative when you habe lots to be proud of.

You can do this.

I have been on SSRI since 1999 my moods fluctuate so drastically when not on meds. I tried at first thinking it was situational but I learned that it was to be a lifetime thing. I went through a lot of counseling from 1983 to 2004 just learning how to cope with life and all the road blocks along the way. I had my surgery in 2021, I haven’t lost as much you but I consider myself a work in progress. Setbacks happen it is all in how you focus to overcome. Hang in there give yourself a reset, this is minor compared to where you started. Make a list of all the positive things you have done and accomplished. Make a list of all the positive things you are. This is how to stand up and face yourself. Be safe, have fun and stay in touch

I tried to explain this to my GP, when she was against WLS. She literally told me I had quit smoking so I could do ANYTHING! I was like I don't have to smoke 3 cigs a day to LIVE, or I'd be back up to a pack!! Food is hard and its not fair to say "do better" without a real workable plan.

Back