• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What vitamins to take for post op?

swalker57

Had Gastric Sleeve 5 years ago and took vitamins for about two years. Doing very well with my weight, right at my target... but after recent blood drawn, my family doctor thinks I need to go back to daily vitamins. I can't remember what is recommended for post bariatric. Can anyone help? Thanks

hi i had sleeve surgery about a month ago...i'm taking 2 flintstone's chewables, a chewable b12, and 6 bariatric advantage calcium chews on a daily basis. I hope this helps you!!

Had Gastric Sleeve 5 years ago and took vitamins for about two years. Doing very well with my weight, right at my target... but after recent blood drawn, my family doctor thinks I need to go back to daily vitamins. I can't remember what is recommended for post bariatric. Can anyone help? Thanks
Definitely read the labels. All vitamins are not equal. I did take two Flintstones per day before I found the Full Potency Womens chewable at Trader Joe's.

The one thing my surgeon told me was that I'd have to take two multivitamins every day for the rest of my life. Well, the proof is in the pudding. I'm healthy as hell at 71.

For at least a couple of years, you should choose chewable vitamins and minerals. After a while vitamins seem to break down well, but for the most part, I choose chewables or stuff that melts.

My vitamin regimen is posted on my profile page.

Hi, I would follow your doctors recommendations for vitamins that you may be requiring based on your blood work. However, I use a website called BariatricPal which has daily vitamins and calcium for the best price that I have found. I hope that helps and good luck.

The only thing my surgeon told me 15 years ago was that I would have to take two multivitamins a day for the rest of my life. However, I wanted to make sure I covered all my needs. So I take 500mg of calcium three times a day (because the body can only absorb 500mg at a time and 1500mg is recommended daily). I also take a B complex, iron, glucosamine chondroitin, and a few others to round out my nutritional needs. For women, I think calcium and iron and extremely important. I did a lot of research and read a lot of labels. And I had a nutritionist who advised me. That's their job, not the job of the surgeon.

Back