• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3/4 week plateau

Awolf0214

Hi everyone my name is Amber. I just recently had gastric sleeve on 3/28/2024. My starting weight was 266 surgery weight was 227. I am currently at 206 and have been since week 3 post op. I am wondering if anyone else has had this plateau so early in surgery. I am finally on solids, haven’t had any issues with anything. Just want to know if I am being impatient or if this is a normal thing?

Amber, the body will create plateaus because of what's known as "starvation response." When you change your eating style, your body automatically sets off an alarm because it suspects you may be literally starving. One thing that may help is making sure you drink the equivalent of 8 glasses of water, sipping constantly through the day. Water accelerates the burning of calories and moves your food very actively through your digestive system.

Everyone hits plateaus, and they can happen several times through your weight loss journey and some last for months (like my big one did). In addition to drinking water, add some simple movement, like walking in place while, for instance, watching tv. Once your body notices that you are making these changes consciously, it will fall into formation behind you. You may still plateau several times, but just accept it and continue to take the lead in your diet and activity.

I lost 110 pounds but it took me 13 months. When I hit a plateau that lasted a few months, I started hiking in the mountains. The combination of the climbing up and down on trails and eating ready-made backpack food really sped up my weight loss after the plateau.

One more thing, and this is REALLY important. Keep a journal of what you eat, every single crumb. Buff up your honesty muscle. You might be surprised to discover you're not really being honest because you're not counting the crumbs you eat off the plates if you wash the dishes for your family. For some reason, we don't count this passive overeating because we don't count it as a meal.

Finally, you should have a nutritionist on your team, and you should receive detailed menus or suggested items, including what a healthy portion looks like. I actually bought a postal scale and used that to weigh food portions. And I remember reading that a portion of meat protein should be the size of a pack of cards. Keep reading this group for support and stories, but rely on your medical professionals.

Amber, the body will create plateaus because of what's known as "starvation response." When you change your eating style, your body automatically sets off an alarm because it suspects you may be literally starving. One thing that may help is making sure you drink the equivalent of 8 glasses of water, sipping constantly through the day. Water accelerates the burning of calories and moves your food very actively through your digestive system.

Everyone hits plateaus, and they can happen several times through your weight loss journey and some last for months (like my big one did). In addition to drinking water, add some simple movement, like walking in place while, for instance, watching tv. Once your body notices that you are making these changes consciously, it will fall into formation behind you. You may still plateau several times, but just accept it and continue to take the lead in your diet and activity.

I lost 110 pounds but it took me 13 months. When I hit a plateau that lasted a few months, I started hiking in the mountains. The combination of the climbing up and down on trails and eating ready-made backpack food really sped up my weight loss after the plateau.

One more thing, and this is REALLY important. Keep a journal of what you eat, every single crumb. Buff up your honesty muscle. You might be surprised to discover you're not really being honest because you're not counting the crumbs you eat off the plates if you wash the dishes for your family. For some reason, we don't count this passive overeating because we don't count it as a meal.

Finally, you should have a nutritionist on your team, and you should receive detailed menus or suggested items, including what a healthy portion looks like. I actually bought a postal scale and used that to weigh food portions. And I remember reading that a portion of meat protein should be the size of a pack of cards. Keep reading this group for support and stories, but rely on your medical professionals.
Thanks for that I guess that’s the same question I had and needed to do a reality check through my memory bank. Knowing this and not being afraid to put it on my What did I eat app has answered a few questions

Back