• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 year UPDATE

Sandie

So it was one year ago last week that I had the RNY surgery. Still not eating much at a time. When I say that, I can eat very little meat or chicken, a few tablespoons if mashed potato or squash. Up til Sunday NO salad greens and no pasta. If I ate salad or pasta I get full very fast and do not feel well for a few hours. Sunday was at an all you can eat chicken place with many friends(waste of money for me but....) and they served salad that was small pieces with oil on it and I ate a few teaspoons and no problem. Ate a little chicken and some french fries no problems. Need to eat very slowly and chew and chew and chew some more!!
I went into this at 218, lost 15 pounds thinking about it and protein drinks so went to hospital at 203 came out at 211(yes gained fluid weight I think) and now I am about 137. Seemed slow but now it seems like it was fast. I had my gallbladder out 2 weeks ago(wish they had done that at original surgery) and had Breast Cancer last May. So an eventful year for sure.
I wish you all success and want you to know you are not taking the easy way out but you are doing the best thing for yourself. Takes time to adjust to the new lifestyle but you can and will do it. You will feel great in new clothes(do not buy until you have to or it gets expensive). I have given away almost new clothes from my heavy time and the slide down the scale so be thrifty and wear big clothes until they fall off and then people notice it suddenly.
Happy Holidays to you all!!!
Sandie

Hi Sandie,

I commend your determination and spirit! You are so close to your goal! I too had my gallbladder removed and lost 10 additional pounds that made me look sick. I ate some carbs to gain the 10 pounds back and I'm at goal at 130! After the gallbladder surgery it was tough to eat meat, and it's hard to eat slow at times since we've eaten rapidly for a long time. You are very self-aware of your thoughts and actions regarding food, and I'm so happy that you've accomplished so much in such a short period of time! Be well and move forward! Kudos and hugs xxoo Linney

S
So it was one year ago last week that I had the RNY surgery. Still not eating much at a time. When I say that, I can eat very little meat or chicken, a few tablespoons if mashed potato or squash. Up til Sunday NO salad greens and no pasta. If I ate salad or pasta I get full very fast and do not feel well for a few hours. Sunday was at an all you can eat chicken place with many friends(waste of money for me but....) and they served salad that was small pieces with oil on it and I ate a few teaspoons and no problem. Ate a little chicken and some french fries no problems. Need to eat very slowly and chew and chew and chew some more!!
I went into this at 218, lost 15 pounds thinking about it and protein drinks so went to hospital at 203 came out at 211(yes gained fluid weight I think) and now I am about 137. Seemed slow but now it seems like it was fast. I had my gallbladder out 2 weeks ago(wish they had done that at original surgery) and had Breast Cancer last May. So an eventful year for sure.
I wish you all success and want you to know you are not taking the easy way out but you are doing the best thing for yourself. Takes time to adjust to the new lifestyle but you can and will do it. You will feel great in new clothes(do not buy until you have to or it gets expensive). I have given away almost new clothes from my heavy time and the slide down the scale so be thrifty and wear big clothes until they fall off and then people notice it suddenly.
Sandie

CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss success!!! You sure had a rough year with the gallbladder and breast cancer. Hope you are feeling good now. You are at goal weight, that's super awesome!!! :)
My gallbladder is acting up too, I had to go to the emergency room a couple weeks ago and they said bariatric surgery can cause gallbladder problems and I'll probably have to eventually get it out. Not looking foward to it.

Sandie, thank you for updating us on your progress. I'm sorry you had a somewhat rough year, but look at all you've accomplished!

Hey Sandie, good to hear from you again. Congrats on your success so far, especially in the face of the adversity.
Hi Linney, long time since we chatted. You are still one of my inspirations on this board. I'm at 14 months post op and doing really well. I did have surgery today to fix an umbilical hernia and remove scar tissue. Everything is going great though.
Karenina, I see you are making excellent progress in your journey. Keep up the great work, you're almost there.

Frank

:cool:

Sandie

Hello Sandie,

Congratulations on your progress and continued success.

I am so happy to see you and other folks that are down the line in experience sharing with us as we begin our journeys. We all can learn from each other.

I do wish you continued success and recovery from your cancer. My wife is a lung cancer survivor almost 7 years now; cured! She was lucky. She caught it by accident in a very early stage. All she needed was surgery and that was that.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Back