• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

-2%??

LisaLisa

My PCP has an InBody scan device that shows Body Composition, Muscle-Fat Analysis, Obesity, and Lean Mass, etc. In September, I had a physical and surgery release appointment, and I was 51% fat--as I have been for years. :( In January, I had my three month blood draw taken at my PCP's office and asked if I could have another scan--oh so looking forward to being less than HALF fat. Welp, turns out I'm 49% fat:mad: now after 40lb of weight-loss. Yes, it's that time to start building muscle. I was going to ask if anyone had a rowing machine, but I decided to bite the bullet and order one! It's supposed to be a great full body workout and from my experience from YEARS ago, it was. And I liked it.

I guess I'll report back when I get it in 7-9 weeks! I have a lot of time to psyche myself up! (and make progress from couch potato.)

Last edited:
I have a rowing machine on the way! I’m excited to start using it, but I think my whole family is going to be using it too. I also got a used elliptical and have been on that a few times, but I don’t use it often because I’ve got Ryan I’m my head and I can hear him say don’t do too much cardio LOL

I have a rowing machine on the way! I’m excited to start using it, but I think my whole family is going to be using it too. I also got a used elliptical and have been on that a few times, but I don’t use it often because I’ve got Ryan I’m my head and I can hear him say don’t do too much cardio LOL
I hear Ryan too! I think the rower will be a good combo of heart and muscle work. Glad our great minds are thinking alike! ;)

At this time..I’m Team Weights/Bands, And Definitely Team Cardio.
by adding cardio I have started dropping weight like crazy. My mind and mood have improved and on cardio days my water intake is off the charts.
I feel everybody is different and exercise is not “One size fits all” I have changed things up and will have to keep changing things up I do one day HIIT and soon that will change to two . You also need to find something that you enjoy so you will keep up with exercising. I think Rowing and the elliptical are fantastic because you are using upper and lower body it’s a great workout. MOVE that is all! some can only walk a few steps and some can run a few miles the key is to just stay active.

I definitely am moving more than I use too but I have a lot of improvement yet to do. Can't wait until spring. I am not a winter lover and tend to hibernate. Got to get back out there and walk around the neighborhood. I have been doing a few things that I find on YouTube to vary it up a bit. I still have sore muscles in my core area that are taking their time to heal after 3 surgeries. I can always tell when I overdo it, so I chose to do short periods of exercise and strive to have more movement with household activities.

Its so so cold here and I die everyday I leave for work and freeze in my office all day.....thus me moving outside right now is not happening. I can do stationary moving objects as I get light headed and unsteady.

I ordered resistance bands off of Amazon that stack up to 150 pounds. I have yet to try them but will be this weekend

Its so so cold here and I die everyday I leave for work and freeze in my office all day.....thus me moving outside right now is not happening. I can do stationary moving objects as I get light headed and unsteady.

I ordered resistance bands off of Amazon that stack up to 150 pounds. I have yet to try them but will be this weekend
Go easy with the bands, start slow. When I was given them during PT I really got sore. I can't remember how far out you are from surgery.

Body fat % takes a while to reduce especially when there is also muscle loss going on. I started seeing a more dramatic drop in months five and six.

Most people are losing about 1 pound of muscle mass for every 1.5-3 pounds of fat they lose. Some are closer to 1:1 (ideally you'd want to be 3:1) fat to muscle loss, which is why resistance exercise is so important. If you are losing muscle mass at a similar rate to fat, your body fat percentage will take longer to change. However, unless you are getting a Dexa scan, most of the scans based on electrical impedance can vary a lot. You might consider using this Relative Fat Mass calculator, which has been shown to be very accurate: Relative Fat Mass (RFM) Calculator

I think rowing machine is a great body workout and is great for mobility, stretching muscles and awesome cardio, but I'd probably work in some more straight forward resistance training too. I'm sure you'll see benefits of it, but like any cardio, I wouldn't probably do it every day while eating relatively low calories. Without a doubt, regular use will be good for you, whether or not it leads to much additional weight loss.

I've been in a bit of an exercise lull lately...maybe due to weather/winter blahs or whatever. I need to kick it back up a bit.

Back