• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2red1

2red1

I had the gastric sleeve 2/2012 and have been at a plateau for the last 5 months any suggestions..have only lost 45 lbs since surgery. just thought it would be better than this!

Hi 2red1, that is a long time to be at a plateau. When in 2012 did you have the surgery? Are you getting in your exercise? How are your labs, getting all your vitamins? Here is how I would approach it:
1. Start a journal online or on paper (myfitnesspal.com is a good online site). Record everything you put into your mouth, including drink
2. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day (walk, take the stairs, swim, etc)
3. How are you clothes fitting? If you're getting plenty of exercise, you may be building muscle and that might cause your weight to plateau.
4. Check with your Dr and Nutritionist to see what they recommend.
5. Get back to basics, one way is to try the 5 day pouch test (Link provided on the home page www.americanbariatrics.com) to jump start your loss.

During the journaling you need to be brutally honest with yourself, and write it down as or before you eat it. Remember WLS is only a tool, we still need to make changes in how and what we eat. That is the hardest part for me, so I can imagine that it is the same for many of us. Please let us know how it's going, we do care.

Frank

:cool:

Hi 2red1, that is a long time to be at a plateau. When in 2012 did you have the surgery? Are you getting in your exercise? How are your labs, getting all your vitamins? Here is how I would approach it:
1. Start a journal online or on paper (myfitnesspal.com is a good online site). Record everything you put into your mouth, including drink
2. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day (walk, take the stairs, swim, etc)
3. How are you clothes fitting? If you're getting plenty of exercise, you may be building muscle and that might cause your weight to plateau.
4. Check with your Dr and Nutritionist to see what they recommend.
5. Get back to basics, one way is to try the 5 day pouch test (Link provided on the home page www.americanbariatrics.com) to jump start your loss.

During the journaling you need to be brutally honest with yourself, and write it down as or before you eat it. Remember WLS is only a tool, we still need to make changes in how and what we eat. That is the hardest part for me, so I can imagine that it is the same for many of us. Please let us know how it's going, we do care.

Frank

frank, food is not a problem for me..been on diets since i was a child.. not excercising like i was in the beginning could be part of it i guess but i work with woman who have had the surgery and never work out and have lost the weight. i only need to lose another 40 lbs so guess i will try the journal again and just get in the gym. see if that makes a difference.

frank, food is not a problem for me..been on diets since i was a child.. not excercising like i was in the beginning could be part of it i guess but i work with woman who have had the surgery and never work out and have lost the weight. i only need to lose another 40 lbs so guess i will try the journal again and just get in the gym. see if that makes a difference.

Dear Red,

Food is a problem for you. It has been since you were a child. (please see quote above

We are all different. What works for one (like the women you work with) may not work for you.

Frank's suggestions are spot on. I hope you find them helpful.

My guess is (a) not enough protein, and/or (b) wrong food.

Regardless, your journal will tell you where to make changes.

Best,

one red to another

Very sage advise, above. I have a feeling you know your own body and know why you are not losing. You MUST journal your food intake. I think that's how most of us got into the shape we're in. In my case, I had a fine well balanced diet with plenty of fruits and veg and moderate sized servings. What I didn't think about was stopping to get 2 ice cream Snickers bars on the way home, the jar of M&Ms I always had in the house, the chips and oookies that were never far away. and oh yeah, if there was a coconut cake in the house, I'd eat the whole thing. Not binging, but consuming an entire coconut cake over 5 days is still a lot of useless calories. When I started journaling, I was apalled to find out that a Sonic blast had 1300 calories and 69 grams of fat! And that's a medium, not even a large.

Hi 2Red1, I didn't mean to offend you. You didn't give a lot of specifics, so I went with what worked for me and others. One other things I forgot, was "How do your clothes fit?" Are they looser, because when you exercise, you gain muscle mass and lose inches, but not pounds. Use the tape measure on a regular basis and you may see a change there. I hit a six week plateau and was frustrated as all get out until someone asked me how my clothes were fitting. I'd lost almost 4" in the waist during that time. Let us know if there is anything we can help with, we do care.

Frank

Back