• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

5 Days Post Op: Have some questions.

So I have a few questions I hope you all can help me with.

1) I haven't had a bowel movement since the day before my surgery. I haven't had anything solid yet, should I be concerned, or be using a suppository laxative?

2) I'm trying to get in my 65gm of protein a day with my shakes, but I'm deathly afraid of over doing it. Since I'm so fresh out of surgery I'm having trouble differentiating between being full, and surgical pain. Any suggestions?

3) Is it normal for you to have low grade fevers off and on after surgery? The highest mine have been is 100.2.

Other than that surgery went very well, I'm very tired, and sore, but that's to be expected. I tried walking a couple hours after surgery before anethesia had fully wore off so I was trying to sleep walk....my husband has quite a picture. I'll try to post some pictures to my profile if allowed, as I'm still pretty new to this site, but LOVE it!!

Last edited:
RebeccaYoung Welcome to this site, I'll try to help answer your ?. the hospital gave me stool softners daily because of the vitamins we have to take tend to constipate you and many surgeons have given others stool softners too. it's a very common problem for all of us whom have had weight loss surgery. yes it's really hard to get the protein in at first I still have trouble getting mine in and I had my surgery in sept2012, yes you will be sore for a little longer that is normal too walking really does help but it's a painful experience. I don't know about low grade fevers but I would call and ask my dr or local hospital explain what surgery you had they will answer your ? and let you know if ok to take Tylenol.
I too love this room it's been so helpful to me , I found it last year before I had my surgery, I had a nice long 9 month wait before I got my surgery, but so glad I went through with it, it's changed my life for the better, and I will be honest I did have days when I couldn't eat and was tired of being nausea and asked myself what have you done to yourself, but since healing up and getting some pounds off and being able to wear jeans again (with a zipper) I feel better.
I ended up with a 15" incision because surgeon was suppose to do hernia repair for me too and also the bariatric surgery, he did that surgery but I didn't have enough stomach tissue left to do the hernia repair so I have to wait until I loose all the weight I can and then he will set me up with another surgeon to do the hernia surgery, I've already had 4 hernia surgeries I am hoping as my stomach goes down with weight loss that the next hernia surgery will be my last. Please come back and chat and ask ? I love meeting people on here because we are like one big family all facing the same issues, life weight and healing and dealing with emotions and our new bodies. ps a lot of us also dealt with depression and bouts of crying for what we thought was no reason. all part of the healing process. hope you are feeling better. one day at a time is all any of us can do.
have a good evening.
Donna

Welcome Rebecca...how are you getting your protein intake now? Immediately after surgery and for 3 weeks I was on an only liquid diet, drinking 2 Isopure a day with 45 grams of protein each and i'd add 10 to 20 grams of protein powder to chicken broth. Your liquid and protein intake from here on should be a priority. Unfortunately, your protein intake will also help in constipation, along with energy and your healing. Your water/liquid intake will help in your not being constipated. I did have a bout one time, and it was worse than the surgery! I took dilluted prune juice and stool softners and once I could swallow the pills, and I still continue to take, a fiber supplement. My Doctor also recommended Metamucal. You can mix this with water, so it helps when on the liquid phase of your diet. Please check with your Doctor before trying anything on your own or what you read here. Remember EVERYONE is different! Now that I am 5 months post, sometimes it is hard getting all the liquid or protein you need...but always plan ahead (protein bars in your purse, etc.,) because I do notice when I don't get enough during the day. Trying to cram all your liquid in at the end of the day doesn't end up working...it is better to sip water or liquid all day long. You'll soon be able to learn to listen and read your body and how you feel. Good Luck!

The first couple of weeks post op were hard for me. My doctor told me that liquid is the priority, followed by protein. There are some shakes out there that have a very high protein content, but be careful to realize what the human body can actually process, as opposed to how much you can intake. There is a brand from WalMart that has 30 grams per 4 oz. of liquid, that I'm using right now (6-Star), but people can only process about 20 grams at a sitting, so I make 8 oz, and space it out during the day. Everyone has their challenges, and this is a great place to bounce them off other people, to see what they did, or to just unload it. Yes, constipation is a problem, and will be for the rest of our lives. There are many stool softeners out there, including some chewable ones. I'd avise you to start taking one each day, BEFORE you have a painful problem. That being said, yes, I might only "go" once every 5 days or so.

Good luck, and check back in to let us know how you're doing!

OH constipation/empaction is not fun!!! It is the foods we are eating for now that cause it. Glycerin suppositories help if there is a real big problem of not being able to expel the waste at all. Wonder what people use for stool softeners that the pill is small enough to take with Gastric Bypass pouch.

I use a chewable fiber laxative. Can't stand metamucil. Benefiber can be added to any drink and not change the flavor but I haven't tried it yet as the chewable ones work fine for me. Any time you use a fiber laxative you have to be sure and drink your fluids.

Back