• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

5 Days since surgery, I have some questions please :)

Micki72

Hello everyone, I am new here!
I had RNY surgery this past Friday and I have some concerns I hope someone will be able to help with.
I was in the hospital from Friday morning and released Sunday early afternoon. When I arrived home, I weighed 9lbs more than when I went in the hospital. I am on clear liquid only (and protein shakes made with water- yuck!) and I have somewhat struggled with getting my proper fluids in since the surgery, yet I am getting better. My problem is, I still weigh 5lbs more than when I went in for the surgery. I know at the hospital they stopped my IV because I was retaining a lot of fluid, but is this fluid retention still normal for 5 days after the surgery? I'll be honest, a little discouraged here. I mean, gosh at least I could be pre-surgery weight by now! Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Keep in mind they purposely fill you with fluids to get you through the initial post surgery intake adjustment to help prevent possible dehydration...

Keep in mind you will urinate what you are consuming. If your intake is down so will your output.

Are you urinating frequently?
Is your urine clear to pale yellow?
Does it smell funny?
Look cloudy?
How much liquids, including protein shakes are you getting in a day?

Are you walking and or exercising daily?

When in doubt call your surgeons office and ask to speak to his nurse...

Hello everyone, I am new here!
I had RNY surgery this past Friday and I have some concerns I hope someone will be able to help with.
I was in the hospital from Friday morning and released Sunday early afternoon. When I arrived home, I weighed 9lbs more than when I went in the hospital. I am on clear liquid only (and protein shakes made with water- yuck!) and I have somewhat struggled with getting my proper fluids in since the surgery, yet I am getting better. My problem is, I still weigh 5lbs more than when I went in for the surgery. I know at the hospital they stopped my IV because I was retaining a lot of fluid, but is this fluid retention still normal for 5 days after the surgery? I'll be honest, a little discouraged here. I mean, gosh at least I could be pre-surgery weight by now! Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

I was kept in the hospital for 7 days after bariatric sugery because I wasn't drinking my juice or eating my jello or boullion very good. I was given IV fluids constantly up until the time when I went home. I had gained 20 lb when I got home because of water retention. Within the first 3 weeks after I was home I lost the 20 pounds gained in the hospital plus another 20 pounds. I did take my prescription Lasix for water weight. Don't worry, the water will come off. After the water is gone the fat will melt, too.

Good luck to you!!!

Cheyenne :)

I was warned not to step on a scale for three full weeks. It is normal to have fluid gain and it can take multiple weeks for that to go away. As long as you follow all instructions without fail you will be fine. When that scale starts moving it will go fast. Be forewarned that the scale will stall again a couple of months out. It is the roller coaster ride of weight loss. It all works out in the end for those that follow the plan and work the program.

Best of luck

Ditto to everything StinkerBelle said. Also, your body will retain fluid while you're healing from the surgery.

Hello, I'm one week out from gastric sleeve surgery and I gained weight while in the hospital also and didn't lose it for several days after I was home. For me I think it was getting my bowels moving again that helped me. I'm still not drinking enough water but am getting better every day. My main problem is getting in the protein they want every day.

Just hang in there, you will lose the weight!

I to gained 11 pounds after I was released I waited to weigh myself for another week and I took off the 11 pounds plus 17! so hang in there you are doing great! and for the protein drinks if you have a costco they have the premier protein drinks which are very yummy , I myself love the chocolate and they are 30 grams of protein! they work for me I try to get 2 down a day, plus my water. hang in there you are going to do great!

How do you get in enough protein.. so far I ve got enough afew days but it a continous battle. need help geting in the protein ..I have isopure unflavored but the scoop that you need to use is alot of powder.. any one able to help... need to get in 80-100 grams per day

i do a couple protein drinks a day and if you go to costco and get premeir protein drinks they are 30 grams more then most protein drinks and they are good I love the chocolate, that is my dessert at night or my mid day snack.

I have them I get them from BJ'S but I try to get other protein in besides the premere. Some of the fruit drinks arent bad but just like anything just got to keep trying. Thank you:)

I hope all the above replies have helped you.

We all gained water weight. In the early weeks dehydration is the main issue; so yes they pump you up with fluids.

My favorite protein is also Premier shakes both the vanilla and chocolate.

Eventually, you will get enough of the liquid in to meet your goal of 60grams protein for female or 80grams for male.

Two shakes will do it for most people since you do get protein from other sources of food as well.

Also, early on do not worry about meeting your goal. More important, is making sure you get in as much liquid as possible.

You will do better as time goes on. You should see much improvement in months 2 and 3.

Ralph

Back