• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

A little Confused

TillieS

Hello Everyone,

I have been having some confusion. Since coming home from the hospital I have only felt "hungry" once, also I am still having a little pain when I eat or drink. I called the doctor's office last Friday and they had me come in I had to have blood drawn and they sent me for a ct scan. Everything came back fine and the bariatric doc discussed all of the findings with my surgeon who in turn said everything was ok. So now I am on week 3 and I can do cream soups and pureed foods. So far I have done some cream soups and I tried some different pureed foods and when they don't sit too well with me I back off of them and go back to the clear soup and start all over again. I am working on getting in all of my protein and it is hard. My confusion comes in at I don't know when I am full yet so I just eat a little and when does the slight pain go away? :confused:

I'm sure all of this varies from person to person, but I never felt hungry or full for the first month and a half. I simply ate the recommended amounts given to me by my nutritionist. Around week 6, I would feel hunger if I went 5-6 hours without eating.
Hunger is a weird sensation now, very different from what I felt prior to surgery. Likewise really feeling full is now unpleasant. I'm still following meal recommendations in terms of size. When I'm full, I tend to hiccup. If I miss the hiccup signal, the next bite or two is going to cause me pain and sometimes nausea.
I still feel discomfort when eating and drinking sometimes. Particularly in the mornings. I think this is because I'm thirsty and trying to drink too much too fast. And sometimes, my pouch just doesn't like food. My doctor said this is very common in people with allergies...sinus drainage into the stomach. Gross, but true. Otherwise, I was told it takes 3 to 4 months for the insides to heal. It does get better and easier with time, so hang in there, you're doing great.

For me I know I am hungry when the room starts spinning--not good so I have been trying to eat at around the same times each day and I am now 12 weeks out and I am still really struggling with my proteins too. Its going to take some time.

I don't know if I have felt hunger yet. I just eat at the recommended times in the recommended amounts. I feel slight pain when I eat something dense, like chicken breasts. It's not too uncomfortable, but it lets me know when to stop. If you've checked with the surgeon and everybody says your fine, you probably just aren't healed yet and trying to eat the wrong kind of foods. I was on liquids for a MONTH. and didn't start pureed foods until month 3.

I glad you are okay. I thing for VSG patients it is a bit different. I didn't feel any hunger for 9 months, but as Karenina said ate what was recommended and stopped when I felt satisfied. If I felt pressure, I knew I ate too much. Since you are so early out and still healing, it will be hard for you to know when you are full. I hated the pureed stage. I think I kind of skipped it and stayed on liquids until soft foods. The pain might just to you healing. As long as it is tolerable and you know nothing is really wrong give it some time. If it doesn't get any better I would talk with your surgeon again. Are you taking anything for reflux? I know it is more common with VSG, but that could cause some pain. Sending you healing energy.

Karenina,

I am for the most part staying with the liquid diet although I am drinking the cream soups and they are staying down well. G2's are my best friends lol. I'm not really eating much of anything. I tried a few things to see how I could handle it and most things i backed off of. The cream soups like I said sit well. @Kim I have reglan and phenergan that have been prescribed.

TillieS

For me I can feel full. First of all I start to feel gas pain in my stomach. I stop after a few bites. I burp. I wait. I let the gas out and then I have some more.

I do measure my portions. So no matter what I still don't get beyond 4 ounces of anything right now. It used to be about 3 ounces. So there is some growth in portion.

However, I don't want to grow portions anymore right now since I still want to lose weight. I journal everything and make sure I stay below 1200 calories. I do most of the time. I have gone over 1200 calories a couple of times. Once I was way over like almost 1800 calories. Do you realize this is still way under the recommended calorie intake for a man my size and "normal weight" of 180 or so?

Anyway, stick to measuring your portion sizes. Don't wait for pain. Stop before it. Burp to get the gases out. Stop eating for awhile and go back to your food if you must do so later.

Dancinbr,

Sometimes the pain comes as soon as I drink something or if I eat something. I still get nauseated sometimes and it can get really bad so I take the reglan or the phenergan. I am working on getting my protein in. Then they want me to drink citrucel on top of everything else. Lol. So by the time I eat and drink everything they want me to if i could it would be midnight!!! I do good with the 4 doses of the pepto but I have to remember to chew the tums 3 times a day. My vitamins are going down just fine and so is my prilosec. So I stick with what goes down good and stays.

TillieS

Dancinbr,

Sometimes the pain comes as soon as I drink something or if I eat something. I still get nauseated sometimes and it can get really bad so I take the reglan or the phenergan. I am working on getting my protein in. Then they want me to drink citrucel on top of everything else. Lol. So by the time I eat and drink everything they want me to if i could it would be midnight!!! I do good with the 4 doses of the pepto but I have to remember to chew the tums 3 times a day. My vitamins are going down just fine and so is my prilosec. So I stick with what goes down good and stays.

TillieS

Tillie just a suggestion on something that works for me...

Have a cup of hot tea or broth to help relax your new belly.. I found that when I have a cup of hot tea or broth my pouch relaxes enough that I don't get the hiccups or belly pain when eating or drinking.

For the time being get your protein, supplements and water in. The rest will come together in time and when the time is right...

Dancinbr,

TillieS

Also, be sure you are eating very slowly. Yes, in the early go the "pain" may come quickly. Take small bites and let time go by. Make sure you get all the protein that you can consume. Even if you don't make your goal of 60grams it will happen in time. A couple of weeks from now you will be feeling much better.

But pain happens (gas trapped) to me if I eat too quickly or take too big a bite or take to big a swallow of liquid; even now.

Hi. I'm 8 days out of gastric sleeve. It's amazing the feelings and pains and cravings that are different now. I'm on the liquid and puree not until 3 months either. I hope to do as well as you. I'm also in Tennessee and going to my first group meeting tonight. I really need to connect because I'm pretty much a loner and this needs some support. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Hi. I'm 8 days out of gastric sleeve. It's amazing the feelings and pains and cravings that are different now. I'm on the liquid and puree not until 3 months either. I hope to do as well as you. I'm also in Tennessee and going to my first group meeting tonight. I really need to connect because I'm pretty much a loner and this needs some support. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Hi Judycc,

Glad to see you here. Congrats on your surgery. I know exactly what you mean. Glad that you are going to a support meeting you will meet new people at different stages who will be able to answer questions that you may have. Good luck on your journey keep us posted and I will do the same.

TillieS

We will be here to support you and everyone else that joins in at the forum. We are all going through similar results, experiences. We also have different results and feelings. So, it is so important to participate in the forum and not be alone as we pursue the weight loss / life saving / journey that we have begun.

Ralph

Back