• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Acid reflux

Nifty53

I'm 12 weeks post surgery and have had acid reflux most everyday/night this week. I did not have a problem with acid pre surgery. Just wondering why I suddenly have it now on my 12th week. Any help would be appreciated!

I had acid reflux pre surgery and was on Prilosec rx dosage for 4 years, I mentioned this to my surgeon and when he did my by pass he found a small hiatal hernia that was causing my acid reflux and he repaired it while doing my bypass, I have not taken Prilosec since my discharge from the hospital and that was four months ago and no heartburn or acid reflux, so you might want to ask him to put you on some med for this or maybe he can fix whatever is causing your acid reflux

this is good reason to call your DR ASAP. I was put on meds for this as a prevention and told that should I ever have an issue to let them know so that I can get back on the meds. It isn't going to hurt you short term but over time will cause stomach ulcers. It would be a good time to call your after hours Dr number to have something phone to a pharmacy. Good luck and keep us up to date on what happens.

Also be cautious of the types of foods you are eating. Some foods can cause this to flair up

My surgeon requires that all of his RNY patients take a Proton Pump inhibitor such as Protonix, Dexilant, etc to help prevent Acid Reflux aka GERD.

Call your Surgeons Office ASAP...

I was on meds for 2 months post op. Looks like I may need them still. I will call my surgeons office on Monday morning. Thank you all!!!

I'm 12 weeks post surgery and have had acid reflux most everyday/night this week. I did not have a problem with acid pre surgery. Just wondering why I suddenly have it now on my 12th week. Any help would be appreciated!

Is it truly acid reflux?

Or are you simply burping a lot as you eat?

It is hard to tell sometimes.

Since my bypass as I eat, gas is quickly generated. I have to stop eating and let it out by burping. This could be interpreted as being acid reflux. Even if I take Prilosec this continues. Many of us have this burping effect. If you eat too quickly, you can feel the pressure quickly building up in your stomach. You have to let the gas out before you continue eating. Eat more slowly too.

I also take Pepcid 40mg everyday to help prevent ulcers/irritation to stomach.

I also had a major hiatal hernia repaired.

Ralph

I take prilosec and I take pepto 4x a day I also have to take tums 3x a day for the first couple of months. I am not quite a month out yet. I agree with the others you need to call your Dr asap. Good luck and keep us posted.

A very common issue with the sleeve. I do take a PPI everyday. Didn't know it was also an issue with RNY. Don't suffer call the doc.

I had a CT scan yesterday. My surgeon wants to make sure I don't have an intestinal blockage. I should know something this coming week. I will update as soon as I know. Thank you all for your advice and concern.
Karla

I'm still working on help. Had a CT scan yesterday. Doctor wants to rule out a blockage and go from there. I will hopefully know something next week. Thank you!!!

OMG !!

Well you are doing the right thing. I hope everything works out.

I missed earlier posts. What is it that makes you worry about a blockage?

What is happening?

Also, you are doing fantastic, Congratulations.

You will get past this issue.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Back