• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

ALMOST 4 WEEKS, excessive DIARHEA

mrgee1959

Is anyone else having this problem? I am doing everything asked of me but have major cramps all of the time and diarhea. I cant just pass gas without something coming out.

I am tethered to the bathroom. Is anyone else going through this?

Hi mrgee, Welcome. I had the RnY bypass, I don't recall many loose bowel movements, it seemed to be quite the opisite for me. How long has this been going on? Have you talked to your bariatric docs about this? I would be most concerned about dehydration. If you havent talked to your doctor about this please do so Monday. Tom

Have you contacted your surgery center about this? You don't say which procedure you had done. Maybe they could recommend some dietary changes to assist you. I know I had a lap band and had very much the same problem, but it wasn't a true diarrhea, and I was warned that this is normal with a lap band. It started to let up as soon as I could have soft foods. I also found that walking helped the gas and I used Gas X strips as instructed. Good luck as you continue on your journey.

I have been calling and they say "this doesnt sound like a surgical problem" I am like WHAT??? I cant work or do any of my activities. I had gastric bypass surgery. I am starting to regret this. It was easier before.

Is your primary doc aware of your surgery? Seems to me that SOMEONE on your team should be able to talk to you! Did you have surgery where you live? It may have been easier before, but there are reasons you chose this path. The beginning is always hard, but the benefits outweigh. Please let us know how you are doing.

I am sorry you are having these problems and are so miserable. I am sorry your surgery center is not listening to you. Did you have nutritional training prior to your surgery? Was it done by a registered dietician and did they give you a number to call? The nutritionist at my center did that (I know every center is different). It sounds like a dietary thing to me. What stage of the post op diet are you on? Do you have a milk or lactose intolerance? What kind of shakes are you using? Are you using straws?Maybe switching to a different shake or altering the foods you eat might help. For the gas you can use Gas X strips. At least call and ask them if you can take an antidiarrhea medication (which might not be a good idea with bypass surgery) Are you sip sip sipping, and chewing all your food well. I hope you find an answer soon.

Is anyone else having this problem? I am doing everything asked of me but have major cramps all of the time and diarhea. I cant just pass gas without something coming out.

I am tethered to the bathroom. Is anyone else going through this?

Hi, MrGee,

Congratulations on your wls. I believe the day will come when you will feel the same way.

I'm sure glad you found us. Somebody needs to be on your side, and we are!

Someone must listen to you. It is dangerous to allow this to continue. Tom mentioned dehydration, a real worry. Dehydration can put you into the hospital, and worse. Javajoy also mentioned possible lactose intolerance. Are you using milk products or whey concentrate? (Whey protein isolate isn't a worry; it has virtually NO lactose in it.)

Do whatever you must to make someone listen to you. Your surgeon, bariatric nutritionist or pcp. At a minimum, somebody should be worried about your electrolytes which cannot sustain during prolonged diarrhea. Additional bloodwork will likely show other imbalances.

If necessary, find yourself an adult diaper (so you needn't worry about being embarrassed about "accidents"; no worries about fit, just cover the appropriate area) and present yourself in one of their offices. A living, breathing human being is much more difficult to "brush off" than a voice on the telephone.

The longer this has been going on, the faster you must do whatever is necessary to make one of your medicos listen to you and help you rectify this situation. They are your caregivers and owe you a better standard of care.

Let us know what you find out. And come back to yell, or vent, or weep, or whatever else. We're pretty good at listening.

Mrgee-2 things come to mind. The problem may be caused by lack of fiber. Try taking a fiber supplement like Benefiber. Read the label instructions for dosage and mixing instructions. Make sure to check with your surgeon or PCP before starting the fiber supplement. You also can't rule out infection. Ask your PCP or surgeon to run a test for this.

Let us know how things turn out.

Back