• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Am I doing this OK?? 4 days out of surgery...

Kinny09

Hi everyone,

I had my Roux en-y on Tuesday 6/11 in the morning and was discharged yesterday. I tolerated liquids fine in the hospital, managed to eat a few tbsps. of cream of wheat and some broth too. They pretty much scared me about dehydration during discharge though and I'm working really hard at sipping/drinking all day long but need some advice...I'm still in quite a bit of pain, walking around a lot but it's making me breathless from being so, so sore (taking my oxycodone, but I find it barely lasts for 1.5 hrs. at a time).

This is what things looked like for drinking this morning:

10am - Woke up
10:15am - Started Unjury Shake (8 oz. glass)
12:00pm'ish - Finished unjury shake (took my centrum silver chewable multi at that time)
12:30pm - Started Unjury chicken broth (8 oz. glass)
2:30pm - Finished Unjury chicken broth (took my caltrate calcium+d chewable then)
3:00pm - 8 oz. water
3:45pm - Finished 8 oz. water (went down surprisingly easy)
4:15pm - Started Unjury Shake (8 oz. glass)
(It's 4:21pm right now, so will have more data to add as day goes on)
5:45pm - Finished Unjury Shake (took 2nd Caltrate calcium+d chewable then)
6:30pm - 8 oz. water
8:15pm - Finished 8 oz. water

This is where I am at right now. I'm just focusing on shakes and the Unjury chicken broth for now for both hydration + protein, until I have my pain under control and am more comfortable about staying hydrated.

Does this all look reasonable? If I have lets say another 8 oz. glass water, a shake, then a last glass water before bed, am I OK to stave off dehydration? This is so overwhelming!!

Last edited:
Hi Kinny

It looks like you're getting about 48 oz of liquids a day, a bit short of the goal my Doc said I need to get in. For me, the requirement is 64 oz a day. I would call the Dr office and either speak with him or the Nutritionist and see what they say. For the most part what you're doing looks good. I would add at least one more glass of water.

Frank

:cool:

It sounds like you are doing fine. I had the same problem and was told to not worry as long as I was doing what I could. It will take a little while for the swelling to go down then you will be able to work toward the liquids that you need. Also, I don't know where you live but here it is 104 degrees and he told me to stay out of the heat.

Good luck
Sharon

Thank you both - I live in NYC and the temperatures have been fluctuating the last few weeks (randomly spikes to 90, then back down to 60!), but in our apartment it is A/C so no issue there. I was thinking of doing a small snack, like 8 oz. of sugar free/fat free yogurt. My dietician on my team counts all drinks and liquid foods toward the daily intake so it would probably work out, and also give me something new to incorporate! I feel pretty good, no signs of dehydration, *tmi* urine is pretty much clear so it looks fine for now. I noticed I was able to drink my Unjury shake faster today without feeling over-full, 8 oz. took me about 1.5 hrs. vs. the 2hrs yesterday. Pain is down today too which is great. I still have not gone #2 yet, this is day 5, should I be concerned yet? I don't feel distended or constipated or anything, it just doesn't feel like anything is *happening* there, if you know what I mean...Thanks for all the support!

I counted 60 ounces of fluids with the other glasses of water you will take so you are doing good. And, getting in the protein as well. It will get easier as the swelling goes down as previously stated. You can watch for signs of dehydration like dry mouth, urine very dark (should be light yellow)Infrequent urination. I know when I got home I couldn't stay out of the bathroom, was voiding fine. Are you having much gas? That often causes pain and walking helps to decrease that kind of pain.It is hard in the beginning but you seem so determined and it seems to be working for you. Re: constipation. It will be best to check with your dietician/physician on what to take if you get uncomfortable. In my experience every one of them has a different regime they want you to follow. You don't want anything harsh or that will cause any difficulty.

Last edited:
Kinney09

I had half a Greek yogurt today and it was awesome. It will get easier as the days go by. I am just now walking a mile in 30 minutes and getting my water and protein intake. Give it time and it will work out for you.

Ps you description of the weather has me second guessing this whole southern gal thing lol just kidding but we have a low of 85 tonight. I may take an outdoor walk after it cools off

Back