• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Am I Plateauing???

Since January 21, I haven't lost weight but keep bouncing between 200 and 202 pounds. Sometimes I'll even weight myself first thing in the morning and weigh 202 - then weigh myself again mid afternoon and weight 200 (2 pounds less). I'm working out about 45 minutes each day on the treadmill and lifting weights. Even though the scales aren't showing anything, inches are still disappearing. None of my eating habits have changed. I'm drinking plenty of protein drinks and taking my vitamins. Has anyone had this happen? If so, how did you get the ball rolling again? Thanks.

Drink more water and protein and do you exercise? try staying off the scales for 5 days after you change something. I am a big believer in not letting that scales rule me. I know some of us weigh each day, I won't do that. I had eatting disorders when I was younger and that scale was my obcession. But I found out you do better by not worrying about the numbers and , well just give it a try. Let me know how it turns out.
Hugs,
Angie

You are lifting weights, that builds muscles. Muscles weigh more than fat. Muscles burn more calories too. It's a good thing. You are losing inches, so you are doing something right. Keep it up!

Thanks to both of you for your advice. My husband says I'm probably turning fat into muscle, too, because I've been really working out hard. I'll try drinking more water. I retain a lot of fluid (take medicine for it), so maybe the water will help. I think my protein intake is okay, though. I spoke with my nutritionist yesterday, and she told me to call her back in a week if things don't start moving again. When I see both of your weight loss success', I get discouraged. I've not been able to lose weight as fast as either of you. I know that I have a disadvantage due to several medicines I have to take that cause my metabolism to slow down. It still doesn't make me feel any better, though.

Barbara, I lost 27lbs pre-surgery, and have lost 27lbs post surgery (November 28th, 2012). I am not doing as well as Angie, someone has to set the bar high, but I am content with my weight loss so far. I wish I could stay away from the
scale. It is disappointing to not see the numbers go down as fast as I wish they would. That's o.k. I'll get there, and so will you.

Those are definitely words of encouragement to me. Everyone I know who's had the surgery has lost weight really fast. Then when I see how fast folks in the forum are also losing, it gets depressing. I'm like you. I've gotten to the point that I'm weighing myself every day which I know isn't good. I just want to see the pounds drop on the scale. I did increase my protein intake after talking with my nutritionist (just to be on the safe side). I'll be anxious to see how much weight I've lost after a week. Thanks - Barbara

I know it can be human nature, but try not to compare yourself to others. It is a set up to make you feel bad. I am 8 months post op and my body lets go of weight as it sees fit. As long as you are doing what is recommended you are doing great. We all have stalls. The reason I lost 7 pounds in Jan was because I had the flu. I stayed at the same weight for a few weeks and just lost 5 pounds. That might be it for the month. This is a life long journey. The surgery is a tool, but the behavorial changes take time. I never want to gain this weight back. Be patient and kind to yourself.

Kim - Thanks for your encouragement and advice. I've been beating myself to death, because I no longer am losing 5-6 pounds per week. I think I need to develop your attitude. It's a lot healthier than weighing myself every day (which I've been doing for the last week and a half). The weight is obviously going to come off when it gets good and ready.

I had my rny in october 2012. I stalled a couple months later. I found that I wasnt getting in all the protein that I thought I was. Keep meticulous count of your protein grams and make sure you are getting at least 60g/day. When I was able to start adding more solid foods and cut back on the shakes thats when I had a problem. I was so glad to put away those shakes. But, I needed them. So now, I try to get all the protein from solid food, but if I am not, i fix myself a protein shake and make sure my intake is at least 60 grams. That got things going again. Also, I will only let myself on the scale once a week. Everyones weight fluctuates day to day. And absolutely, muscle gain will tip the scales, its the inches that count at that point. I think you are doing fan
tanstic!!

I have been at a plataeu as well. I havn't lost anything in about a month. I however have lost 72.5 pounds all together since August 30. I have done extrememly well, but found myself snacking some and I think that has slowed me down. I have had trouble with my protein intake as well. I starting tracking it again and realize that is my problem. I'm a horrible water drinker too, so I have to get with it. I only have 28 lbs to goal weight and I truly want to see it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Part of my problem is not getting enough daily protein, so I've increased it by a good bit. My Nutritionist is trying to figure out the rest of the problem, though, because nothing else has changed in my diet, and I'm getting plenty of water. I do take 3 medicines and have to wear a pain patch that can cause problems with weight gain (slows your metabolism), so that may end up having some effect. I am still losing inches, though - I think due to my workouts. I ended up at least finally losing 2 pounds last week, so that's somewhat encouraging. Prior to that, I went for about 3 weeks only losing 2 pounds for the whole time. So far this week, it looks like the weight loss speed "may" be picking up it's pace. I'll have a better idea at the end of this week. In the meantime, my Nutritionist had me take some body measurements with a tape measure. I'm supposed to do it again after a week and call her back. I'm hoping that I've just hit a plateau, although it seems really early in my weight loss to be doing that. My surgeon hasn't been pleased with the speed with which I've lost weight since the surgery.

Back