• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

any sleevers out there?

unit35

Hi, I was sleeved on 12/20/11 by Dr Barba. Have lost approx 55 lbs so far..woo hoo..My surgery went ok..could not tolerate the pain pump..made me vomit which hurt waay more than the surgery which didnt actually hurt(except for gas pains), had massive nausea which kept me in hosp an extra day but now am doing fine

hi
I haven't had my surgery yet, I am signed up for bariatric bypass surgery. Do you have any suggestions? Do you still have trouble eating or any discomfort from having had the surgery?
My insurance wont' pay for the sleeve, so I am suppose to get bariatric and my stomach will be the size of a golf-ball, is the sleeve alot more different?
I hope you have found others who've had the same type of surgery as you, hope you are having a good day.
Donna

i had my sleeve done jan 31 and ive lost 37lbs so far....im back going to the gym mon-fri doing 2 a days !!! i feel great

hi
I haven't had my surgery yet, I am signed up for bariatric bypass surgery. Do you have any suggestions? Do you still have trouble eating or any discomfort from having had the surgery?
My insurance wont' pay for the sleeve, so I am suppose to get bariatric and my stomach will be the size of a golf-ball, is the sleeve alot more different?
I hope you have found others who've had the same type of surgery as you, hope you are having a good day.
Donna

Donna-Although I had the same surgery you are having I can answer your question about the difference if you have the sleeve. I won't get too technical here but when sleeve surgery is done digestion still occurs in the stomach, it's just done differently. The stomach is made smaller and the excess stomach is removed unlike the RNY where the excess stomach is stapled off and stays inside to help us digest food in the small intestine. People who have the sleeve do not suffer from dumping syndrome and do not have sensitivity to carbs like those of us who had the gastric bypass (RNY). They can eat almost anything, including pasta, without any ill effects.

If you are interested in how the sleeve surgery is done compared to RNY there is a lot of information on the Internet that explains it very well. Just poke around a little and you should find a number of sites with good and reliable information.

I had gastric sleeve surgery feb 7th and am feeling pretty good I have lost 26lbs since surgery, Did anyone elses weight loss stall in the first month? I am hoping its normal ,I only lost 2lbs in 3weeks! with what i eat i can't believe it, I am almost afraid to go to phase 4 eating since i should be able to eat more. Will i still lose?? Dietician says its normal , my body starts adjusting to the amount i'm eating! If anyone further along can help please do!!!!!!!!!!

I had gastric sleeve surgery feb 7th and am feeling pretty good I have lost 26lbs since surgery, Did anyone elses weight loss stall in the first month? I am hoping its normal ,I only lost 2lbs in 3weeks! with what i eat i can't believe it, I am almost afraid to go to phase 4 eating since i should be able to eat more. Will i still lose?? Dietician says its normal , my body starts adjusting to the amount i'm eating! If anyone further along can help please do!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I think stalling out is normal for sleeve and RnY, I had those thoughts too. Make sure you take measurements and you should find that even though the scale stalls out that you will still be losing inches, it is usually your body replacing the fat with muscle which is leaner, it will also help you burn calories more efficiently, so try and stay on track with your meal plans laid out for you by your dietitian and doctors. Your doing great. :cool: Tom

Hi, I think stalling out is normal for sleeve and RnY, I had those thoughts too. Make sure you take measurements and you should find that even though the scale stalls out that you will still be losing inches, it is usually your body replacing the fat with muscle which is leaner, it will also help you burn calories more efficiently, so try and stay on track with your meal plans laid out for you by your dietitian and doctors. Your doing great. :cool: Tom
thanks Tom havent been on for a while so just got this. started losing again but i get full too quick can only manage only a couple tablespoons of food at lunch, and supper afraid i'm not eating enough, almost passed out saturday i was so dizzy! i upped my protein drinks so i drink most my meals. i have dr. app on wed so i need to ? whats going on!

thanks Tom havent been on for a while so just got this. started losing again but i get full too quick can only manage only a couple tablespoons of food at lunch, and supper afraid i'm not eating enough, almost passed out saturday i was so dizzy! i upped my protein drinks so i drink most my meals. i have dr. app on wed so i need to ? whats going on!

I remember getting really light headed after surgery to the point I was seeing stars and had to sit down, I was on blood pressure meds at the time so I took my BP and it was really low so I stopped taking them and my BP went to normal and stayed there, in days and I felt better, I don't know if that is the case for you but if you are on meds it is a possability. Make sure you are getting at least 60 grams of protien, I had no appatite for the first year and I had to be diligent about getting my protien in or eat when I had to, it was real easy to forget to eat, I would start getting real weak if I went to long without something be it a shake or some cheese rolled in lunch meat. That may also be whats going on, if you are not getting enough protien and calories the body will start robbing your muscles for it.

I just had a support group meeting on tueday and we are about half sleeve and half RnY and it is a common theme for both of our groups to not be hungry and find it very difficult to get enough protien and calories. If you continue to get dizzy and you are on BP or diabetic meds call your DR ASAP and check you BP and blood surgars to rule that in or out, or if the symptoms are just unmanagable it would be worth calling the Dr's office to let them know your symptoms. Wal Mart has a high protien drink that is very easy to drink without filling you up if it is just not enough protien. Let us know what the doc says. Your doing great on the weight loss. :cool: Tom

Thanks Tom I was taken off two bp meds two weeks ago and i have been watching my protein intake , but someone told me i was'nt taking into account from supper
overnight, and breakfast. I think that day that is what happened but i have dr app wed and will talk to her. I have been keeping a sliquid shot of protein on me when i go out now, just in case! and also bought string cheese thanks for the advice Heather:)

Back