• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anyone else?

I'm not sure if this is normal and I'm Praying that it is normal, but I'm almost a week from when i had my surgery and i already feel hungry? Should you feel hungry this soon after?:confused:

I am not sure about that. Are you sure what you are feeling is hunger? I know that I started to feel like I needed to eat about a month out but I really still do not feel hungry. Are you drinking your 64 ounces of liquid a day?

I'm not sure if this is normal and I'm Praying that it is normal, but I'm almost a week from when i had my surgery and i already feel hungry? Should you feel hungry this soon after?:confused:

I had my surgery on 2/27/12 and do not feel hungry. Are you feeling stomach hungry or head hungry? Sometimes we might feel the urge to eat because we are craving something in particular and since we are creatures of habit this is a hard habit to break. At least that was how it was for me before surgery. I am still amazed that I don't feel hungry and to tell you the truth I do not enjoy eating anymore. I hope I will start enjoying food eventually but I do not care if I never feel hungry again!!!

you know Pat i don't know if it is or not, It might be the gas that is still roaming around in there as well, when i drink my water I'm OK, but I'm not even sure how much to eat either, i eat jello but not the whole thing and I'm OK with that and then i drink about 4oz of broth, if it starts to stink (the broth isn't bad but if food smells funny to me i can't eat/drink it and lately the broth stinks to me) and I'm good or i will have a Popsicles but i feel like I'm trying to eat all the time which I'm sure is like way bad...... I don't know what do you think? I might not be getting all my fluid in either so that could be my problem really, I'm sipping for a big cup that the hospital gave me, I'm going to give my protein a try again today as the other day it hurt, but i will try it again as i know it will help me.. Thanks guys for your help :)

good morning crymsynlady,
i was wondering about you yesterday cause i hadn't seen you on here, glad you are ok. I've wondered about the being hungry thing, even though haven't had mine yet. I know i tend to be a creature of eating out of habit, nervousness and boredeom. I pray those feelings leave & i learn to only take in the foods and calories they tell me, for once i loose these pounds i don't ever want to gain them back.
Have you got your results from your liver biospy yet? Is your pain level getting better and how is your energy level? I hope you have help around the house and are able to give yourself time to heal properly for you've been through alot.
Time for another cup of coffee , so talk to you soon.
Donna

Julie-You mentioned when you drink water and have Jello, broth and popsicles you are OK. These are all fluids and count toward your daily intake as do the protein shakes (in case you weren't aware of this). None of these things except the shakes have enough calories so it's no wonder you want to eat often. All of these things except the shakes are very thin. Try thinning the shakes down with water. I don't remember if we discussed lactose intolerance yet but if this is a possibility try taking an OTC lactase enzyme. I get the Kirkland brand at Costco real cheap compared to what is available elsewhere. I was able to have my protein shakes without stomach pain except for gas and the lactase enzyme eased that up quite a bit. I can eat tuna with a little lite mayo but if I try it without mayo my stomach hurts. I can eat vegetarian type "meat" like burgers, breakfast patties and riblets but real meat causes me to have stomach pain. I'm not big on real meat but could eat it before surgery without stomach pain. The vegetarian "meats" are softer and break down easier as I am chewing. I think that in the early stages after surgery we need to focus on softer foods so that they can pass through the pouch easier. The down side of this is that it passes through quickly which in turn will allow us to eat more and feel hungry sooner (if you are able to feel hunger). Like I mentioned, I never feel hungry so I have to eat on a schedule otherwise my blood sugar level drops. Just yesterday I was running errands and before I realized it it was 7:30 PM and I had not eaten anything yet. I started feeling light headed and extremely tired, both of which went away about 10 minutes after I had a homemade protein smoothie made with Greek yogurt, lactaid milk and fresh strawberries. Most brands of Greek yogurt are much higher in protein than regular yogurt so you need less to reach your protein goal. I really think if you thin out your shakes and when you move on to solid foods thin those out too, eat and drink VERY slow and chew, chew, chew thoroughly, you should be OK.

If there is something you do not want to post publicly feel free to send me private messages.

Thanks Pat that does help! Ive been lactose intolerant for 5years now so everything that i put in my mouth is Dairy free, I'm one of the ones that can't that pill either, doesn't work for me, i wish that it did but I'm ok with it, i did try my protein again about a day later and I'm able to tolerate it now no problem, i mix it up then when i sip it i sip from a very tiny cup, i only drink about 5oz at a time and do it this in stages, Im not sure if i felt the hungry in my head or not but Ive cut back on the Popsicles and i drink plane old water, i need to start looking to see how much water I'm getting, I go to puree foods today I'm aliitle bit worried that i will over eat..eeekkkk i will let you know how that goes

Thanks Pat that does help! Ive been lactose intolerant for 5years now so everything that i put in my mouth is Dairy free, I'm one of the ones that can't that pill either, doesn't work for me, i wish that it did but I'm ok with it, i did try my protein again about a day later and I'm able to tolerate it now no problem, i mix it up then when i sip it i sip from a very tiny cup, i only drink about 5oz at a time and do it this in stages, Im not sure if i felt the hungry in my head or not but Ive cut back on the Popsicles and i drink plane old water, i need to start looking to see how much water I'm getting, I go to puree foods today I'm aliitle bit worried that i will over eat..eeekkkk i will let you know how that goes

Just eat your pureed food very slowly and pay attention to when your stomach is telling you it's full otherwise you won't like what happens next *LOL* I made this mistake one time and haven't done it since. You can always go back and finish the rest of your food a little later. It will only take 2 or 3 small bites to fill you up.

If you find that your pureed food is causing discomfort then thin it out a little with some water or broth. The consistency of cream of wheat worked for me. I had to do this for 2 weeks. I couldn't tolerate solid food when it came time for me to start eating it so I had to extend the pureed food for another week or so. When I felt I was ready to try solid food again I had to take a small sip of whatever I was drinking and chew it up with my food in order not to feel discomfort in my pouch.

Pat i did baby food apple sauce as my first puree food and i ate about 2oz of it, then i stopped after that my little tummy isn't telling me yet, i took very small bits and set my spoon down between bites. it took me a good 30-40 mins to eat all the 2oz but i didn't hurt, I didn't feel anything really. I measured out the food into a different container and put the jar in the fridge so it wouldn't go bad. the i set my timer for 30 mins before i drank any water. I think i did pretty well but I'm sure i will mess up along the way lol everyone does :D

Crmysynslady-Well it sounds like your first real meal was a success!!! One of my first meals was applesauce also. I used regular unsweetned applesauce. I think I was able to eat a little faster but I felt uncomfortably full afterwards. Just make sure you focus on getting enough protein and fluids in every day. Keep eating slow and keep your portions in the 2 or 3 ounce range and you won't mess up.

Crmysynslady-Well it sounds like your first real meal was a success!!! One of my first meals was applesauce also. I used regular unsweetned applesauce. I think I was able to eat a little faster but I felt uncomfortably full afterwards. Just make sure you focus on getting enough protein and fluids in every day. Keep eating slow and keep your portions in the 2 or 3 ounce range and you won't mess up.

Thank you Pat! I was told that your little tummy can only hold about 1-2 oz so i probley will stay right around the 2oz mark :) Yes im drinking my protein right now and i bought some good water bottles today to measure how much my water intake is, since i have no idea LOL

Back