• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Applesauce and RNY

Sandie

Sorry, a new question I went out to get some applesauce sugarless and when I looked at the jar it said something like 13g of sugur and the one with normal applesauce says it has about 18 g of sugar, SO the question is, can we with RNY use sugarfree or no sugar added applesauce at all? IF so which brand do you use and how much sugar does it show it has? Not sure how it has sugar in it when it says on label no sugar added or no sugar.
Also bought some low salt bouillon of chicken, beef and vegtable. Figure when I get to the stage I can eat chicken, it says dark meat only(because white meat gets too dry) so figure I could make it in some chicken broth so as to have it moist and I am thinking I can make a little soup with the boullion, yes?

Hi Sandie. I never ate the apple sause but I do know it has natural surgars so that is what the label is reffering as to whether you can have it or not that would be a good question for your dietitian. I love the broth I was drinking a lot of that when I could not have any foods at all just clear liquids but it was also good when I was on my liquid diet, it was like soup without all the noodles or meat and veggies. Hope I answered some of your questions. :cool: Tom

Sandie-Tom is correct about the sugars listed on the applesauce label being what occurs naturally in the fruit. Even though it shows 13 grams per serving you will probably only be eating a small amount, not a full portion. I was told to limit myself to 5 grams or less of sugars per meal to avoid getting dumping syndrome.

Adding some chicken to broth is a good way to help reach your daily protein goals once you are able to eat meat. Just make sure to cut it up in very tiny pieces and chew, chew and chew even more. You can also use a small amount fat free jarred gravy on your meat to help mositen it up or even a small amount of fat free or low fat mayo. I have just recently been able to tolerate "whole" meats like chicken and I had my RNY on 2/27/12. Up until now I could only tolerate canned meats and tuna. My pouch prefers dark meat chicken too because the white meat is a little on the dry side even with some lite mayo mixed in. It's all trial and error. Just make sure not to rush things. Use your 4 phase meal plan as a guide but don't be surprrised if it takes you longer to be able to tolerate a lot of the foods shown there, it's just a guideline.

Another good way to help get your protein in is to add some unflavored protein powder to your bouillon. Just make sure it's not over 130 degress when you add it or it will clump up and not taste good. Unjury sells a protein based chicken broth that a lot of people are crazy about but I don't care for it myself. You can see their products at Unjury.com

Sandie, apples are comprised of "good" carbs. Even so, I wouldn't eat applesauce right out of the hospital. You need to get protein in first, then vegetables, then carbs if you have any room left.

yes for sure, applesauce was for latter when on soft foods but then I saw it has 13g of sugars so was taken back. I did think I could use a little spoon of it with crushed pill if I had to but would of course check with the surgeon first or the team. EVERYTHING would go by them before it goes in my mouth, I have no illusions of being able to eat more than a baby spoon of any food for a long time when it is time for food that is.

yes for sure, applesauce was for latter when on soft foods but then I saw it has 13g of sugars so was taken back. I did think I could use a little spoon of it with crushed pill if I had to but would of course check with the surgeon first or the team.

Hi, Sandie,

Be sure to take everything into account. You say the label indicated 13g of sugars. What size serving is that for?

The size of the jar of applesauce was the normal multi serving jar so I am not sure but will look next time I am at the store just to know what they were talking about per serviing in amount by oz.

I am 5 weeks out from rny. I bought musselmans sugar free applesauce. I have no problem with it. I also depended alot on chicken buillion broth the first few weeks. You can get pretty tired of the protein drinks because they are so sweet. The broth was a great change. I also added cocoa powder to some of my vanilla protein drinks. It helped to reduce the sweetness. Jello and popsicles a big help also those first weeks.

Back