• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Article: Gastric Bypass Surgery Information

need to talk?

This is the sugery my dr and i chose for me i am confident i will succeed with this tool. If anyone would like to talk to me i am hunger buddy on this site, add me as ur friend

Last edited:
This is the surgery I chose too and it was a scary decision. But I am not even 10 months out and I've hit my goal, as of last week...I'm down 124 pounds. I will tell you, it's a hard road but you will NOT regret it! My only regret is not doing it sooner (I started the program, dropped out and rejoined a year later). I have never felt better in my life and my whole family is reaping the benefits. I can eat pretty much anything now, in small quantities. It's awesome! I wish you both the best! Keep your head up, it's so worth it! There is a light at the end of the tunnel! :D

I had mine 10 years ago. Still 100 pounds down and feel great, it did save my life. I too have always wished I had done it sooner. My best advise, keep support group and always keep up on the lastest news on the diet for your bypass. I go back online every 6 months or so and google gastic bypass diet. Things have changed alot in 10 years.

Not sure if Everyone has seen my great News Hello I had my Dr for my first post op. He was very happy with the way I am going....Stopped taking 27 different medicines now only 3...... My insulin is now down to 7 units instead of the 60 I was taking at night and None during the day....Don't really care about weight lose now as the Dr. said a lot will be water after being in the hospital for 6 days there is a lot of water gain.... So I know the weight will come off soon enough..... Thank you for everyone who writes and answers these questions and statements...You have all been a great help. Alive in Everett :)

I'm having this surgery done just don't know when yet I have two more appointments the last appointment is at the end of the month..I will be glad to have this done as I need to lose at least 100 lbs which I can't on my own I have been over weight all my life I hope i can get this done Nancy

Hello Everyone,

Having the gastric bypass was a major life saving decision for me as well. No regrets. I am maintaining now at 197.4. My goal is 199 or less; basically stay in the 190s.

I also wanted to help each of you to refocus on a few things. I see that some of you recognize that there are other accomplishments enjoyed besides the weight loss.

I wanted to publish my list again of accomplishments as I lost the weight and now maintain my goal weight of 199 or less. Here it is:

Accomplishments as a result of my Bariatric Gastric Bypass (11/4/2013)

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year.
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy and I can dance, dance and dance!
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now and I can see my toes.
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless
• I squeeze out between two cars that were tightly parked together. A year ago I couldn’t get out of the car; I would be trapped.
• I squeezed into a size 38 pair of pants. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping on side is comfortable now. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping flat on my back is doing fine too. No longer need to be propped up. (6/1/2014)
• I have reached my goal of under 200. I weigh 197 (9/9/2014)
• Size 38 Pants fitting comfortably now (9/9/2014)

It is a lot more than just losing weight.

Do yourself a favor. Keep a list like I did and enjoy the many new things you can do now that you are losing weight and also the changes you have noticed as exampled in my list above.

Best wishes,

Ralph

PS this holds true for whatever surgery procedure you choose.

Hello everyone I went to my second boundle appointment today and since the 6th I have lost 8 lb...I have one more appointment with the Drs nurse then hoping to get the surgery date.. I wish the weather would get nicer so I can go for my walks:D Nancy

Will tomorrow I have another busy day with 3 more dr's appointent's for the surgery..I have to go to the Cardio.Behavior class. and the Bairatric nurse probably to get weighed in who know.. it was 0 degree's here in NY when I went to work this morning YUCK... Have a great day Nancy

will Iam 12 lbs since February 19th which was my frist weigh in...My surgery may be in May depending on the spot on my heart but the nurse told me it probably has been there for a long time,,,I have to have a bunch of test done on the 9th,,cat scan,,ekg,chest x rays,pictures...then they go from there...the dr said that I will stay have the surgery they just want to be safe then sorrry... Im very pleased with myself right now....:rolleyes:I have never been able to loss that much weight ..I needed to find the right thing to get me movtiive and I found it...The wii fit has been a great exercise program for me I have tryed the other wii exercise's but I find them to extreme for me and that I go back to the wii fit...My next step before surgery is getting into an exercise program which has more equipment for me..the drs here recommend it to all the patients....Just waiting to hear from there owner but she's on vacation right now... Have a good day everyone

Back