• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Desperate...and nowhere else to turn....

So my day started like I am sure most of ya'lls did. You went in to pre-op. You got all gussied up, taken back to the operating room. And the next moment you knew, you were awaking to strange noises, some discomfort, and this wonderful pain pump attached to you. The nurses are telling you things went well, you are of course in and out of lala land, and next you are whisked up to your permanent room for your stay away from home.

The problem is, by the end of my first day, my abdomen was bruising. Sure, yeah, I know that's normal. But then... it moved... lower...lower... and turned black. Every time you were out of bed to walk, you felt like death, your BP was dropping off the charts. And yet, no one seemed any the wiser.

Which leads me to....someone the next day finally realizing that something is terribly wrong. That the bruising is not where it should be going. Me crying, and anxiety filled. Doubting every choice I have ever made in life. Wondering if I would ever see my kids again.

Finally, my surgeon arrives, and says oh that? That's normal bruising. No, sorry, err, wrong! Sure, around the incisions I could understand. Then he tells me that it seems an artery must have been hit. That it will be fine. I will be bruised and uncomfy, and life will be grand. (Let me add that I saw my surgeon twice in a 5 day period, for a total length of 15 minutes, I am beyond upset)

No. It was not grand. It was horrifying. I had nurses looking at me like I was a monster. None of them seeing this before. Finally, the on call surgeon was brought in. He took one look at me and I could see the panic in his eyes. Tests were ordered. And 2 pints of blood were given to me since I was near the bottom of the barrel. During this whole time, my nurses were proud of me still walking, smiling ( or trying ) and making my life work.

I literally looked like I was 9 months or MORE pregnant. This was not normal as my surgeon deemed. When asked about artery? He just sorta mumbled that it happens in 1% of people. Okay fine... then why is this not in the warnings? Why was this not seen DURING the surgery? Why am I receiving a dang blood transfusion?

I have my follow up on Friday. I saw my PCP today, because on top of all this, I have thrush. And yes, the hits keep on coming. :( So please, tell me that someone else had this happen to them. Please tell me you overcame it. Because right now? I weigh more than when I went in. from the bottom of my incisions to my pubic area, I am so purple, I am black. Please tell me that I didn't make the biggest mistake of my life?

futureskinnygirl,

I am so sorry you had to go through this. I don't know what else to say. You make them watch you more closely and check your blood levels. The weight gain after surgery is normal from all the IV's and you had two units of blood besides added to that. Turning black is not normal and I am so surprised that something wasn't done sooner. It makes me wonder if they had true professionals on your unit. After all this is over and you get started on your proper feedings and exercise and start to feel better I think you will be pleased with the results and it will have been worth it. Just make them watch you very closely and do frequent blood checks to make sure any bleeding has really stopped. Joy

Tonya, I know it's scary now, but as Java said, once you get past this and the weight starts coming off, you will feel differently. I have heard of people having their arteries nicked and once they recovered, they're all happy with their decision. The weight gain is normal, though I didn't know about it going into surgery, so I was pretty ticked off when I got home and found that I'd gained 10 pounds. I know how you feel about the surgeon, I didn't even see him in my 2 1/2 day stay, I saw his PA. That still bothers me, it's like, ok I'm done, don't bother me any more. Oh well, the rest of the team has been great. Keep your spirits up and follow the nutrition plan and you'll do great.

Frank

:cool:

thank you folks. I appreciate the support. It almost makes me have what I lovingly refer to as "buyers remorse". I question my decision way too often. I will keep you all updated. <3

futureskinnygirl,

I hope you are doing okay now and you are feeling better. It looks like they didn't tie off a bleeder. I've heard of this happening at my live support meeting and the guy literally popped his incision from the inside out bleeding all over his bedding, I don't think they missed that one. The questions are did they respond appropriately and is there any long term damage? If you know the answers to those questions. Then the question is can you live with those answers. I if you can then put it behind you and go on with your life and your weight loss journey. But if the answer is no you can't live with the results then you need to see a lawyer and seek financial restitution. Will you be successful? Maybe after several years of dealing with the legal maze. But only a lawyer can give you an idea. It is my experience that a lawyer won't give the time of day unless he smells money. I would see a lawyer if only to help set your mind on the the right course.

regards

Omg, I'm so sorry, I just got on tonight , I feel horrible for you, the weight gain is normal and I'm glad someone competent finally came in and knew what to do, I reasurch my surgeon and hospital before I had my surgery, I was so pleased with my results and how I was treated and I hope it gets better for you and I think all of us go through the what the heck did I just do the first month or so , but then you get in the swing of things and it gets easier for most, I wish you luck....

Hello futureskinnygirl,
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. The only way I can relate is that my surgery was done on a day where we had a blizzard, so I came out of surgery to find that my husband had to leave while I was still in recovery so he could cautiously drive the 45 minutes home safely, and I spent my entire time in the hospital alone at the end of a hallway. (I swear they'd forget I was there! :) ) I saw my surgeon twice for about 10 minutes while in the hospital and the roads were so bad, I didn't see the dietician at all before leaving. However, my surgeon was AWESOME!! So you see, my experience doesn't begin to compare to yours.

My advice is to be your own best advocate. If you feel like something is wrong, demand to see a doctor! If you don't like what they tell you, ask for a second opinion! You're paying them....so they can suck it up and do their jobs!! :cool:

Yup, happened to me too. Scary, and maddening for sure. Huge black bruising all the way to the pubic bone. But they fade (slowly) and so too do the doubts.

Hey folks. Just updating... So my belly is almost bruise free. Now I am just dealing with a lot of pain to the touch due to the nerves being cut, and all that jazz. I am trying to get my fluid intake up, but its been a chore. I also find that eating just does nothing for me. Right now I am down 14 pounds at 21 days post-op. I feel that for me, that is good. I do not wanna lose too fast.

Anyhow, thank you for all the support!!!

Oh and I found out that this was caused by an artery being hit by the inserts they use for the instruments for the laparoscopic tools. It didn't bleed during surgery, because they were basically holding the blood in. After removal, and my first shot of the blood thinner, it just sorta took over. It happens in 1% of patients. Yeesh, I should really play the lottery with my great odds ;)

*hugs all around*

Thanks for the update Future Skinny Girl, great to hear that you're doing well and losing weight. Keep us up to date.

Frank

:cool:

Oh, darlin...I am still so very sorry you had to go through this. You need to be watched still..very closely. If you ever have an inkling that your quality of care is not 100% then you do something about it. Dcepello hit the nail on the head. Okay, so it happens to 1%. Is it because well, it just "happens"; nothing anyone can do about it, or is it 1% of the surgeries are screwed up by the surgeons so it just "happens"? Is their error causing you to put out more money? Is it costing YOU anything?

I am not a proponent of law suits...I hate them, but there comes a time when it's the only way to fix such a situation.

I do recommend, at a MINIMUM, you fill out an Incident Report for the hospital and turn it in to the Risk Management/Compliance Officer. This is NOT a law suit. An internal investigation will be performed and if the surgeon screwed up, even it you are satisfied now, he will be dealt with. He may need some more training. He may be just fine. The investigations are completely confidential and are governed by HIPAA to ensure privacy at all levels.

I am so thankful you are doing well now. It's wonderful to hear the news. You hang in there and keep on moving forward. It can only get better!

Best to you.

Life is good.

Letrell

Back